FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 11-22-2006, 08:27 AM

Default OK kids.. don't do what we did....

Yesterday during a great session at backside in low tides I didnt see Billy P. flying in at high altitudes off my right shoulder.. I went to begin a tack and as he was descending my 14m waroo went directly between the lines of his 15m atom.

I had my hand on my QR faster than you could imagine but as Billy dropped down he just let his kite fall (mine was still flying fine) and he ran towards me..

I was yelling to know if he wanted me to release the kite and he just kept running towards me and let his kite drift on the water ..

Just as his kite started to catch some wind he was right next to me and i did a quick sheet in and lofted myself between his lines and out of harms way.

Contrary to popular belief, we had never practiced that previously nor will I be wanting to repeat that maneuver.

His kite never started to power up until I was in position to get clear, but I was ready to let go of the kite if it had. I think we have all heard the story of the few that have died getting tangled lines and getting lofted by dual spinning kites..

Hats off to Billy for keeping his cool and knowing what to do..

Hats off to myself for not shi**ing my pants.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 11-22-2006, 10:52 AM
tomstock

Good thing you kept your cool and attempted to discuss with Billy before pulling the release. I think you probably did the right thing.

I *think* you are supposed to crash both kite and then pull the release at the same time. Sometimes even pulling them at the same time can prevent one kite from depowering (if the lines are sufficiently tangled) dragging the other guy by the leash and two kites.. so you both have to expect the worst any time lines tangle.

Spooky stuff! I have never been in a tangle myself (yet).
Old 11-22-2006, 11:45 AM
E-Bone

I have tangled with another kite. It suckz.

You end up with one kite flying off of the other kite's lines, flying twice as much kite than with which you started the session. It leaves a lot to be desired--you enjoy little to no kite control while completely overpowered.

The good news is that such an out-of-control ride is temporary. The bad news is that the ride is temporary because you usually get dragged into something stationary or have to ditch both kites.

In my case, only one of the kites dragged me, and that was too much. My looping 12m mysteriously depowered and flew peacefully on its front lines after dragging me for a long f*cking time at 100 f*cking miles per hour, all while I clung to the leading edge of my buddy's 12m kite for dear life. Plus, the fact that I was sh*tting my pants so fiercely propelled me forward at an even greater rate of speed.

By the time that ride was over, my kite leash was ripped in half, several lines for each kite were ripped in half, my bro's kite was torn, my bar was broken, and I had some swollen connective tissue, not to mention an atomic wedgie from the seat harness I was wearing.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:44 PM

I'm so glad everyone got away unhurt. One of best reasons riding here. Guys like Billy P. & Kiters coming together to help and inform one another. I'm proud of my West Coast Brothers & Sisters. It's a honor to ride with everyone....Go Big @ The Turkey Table & Don't forget to be thankful...Shaka Khan