FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-22-2007, 07:29 PM
Flaccid Member

Default Revisiting the Signs to be made

I have contacted sign companies with what we came up with. I asked them to give me a bid on a one sided corrugated plastic sign 1ft by 1.5 ft. This could be stuck in the ground on a wire base. This is what I've been getting back:

Thank you for your request.
Quantity of 5 or more - $15.00 each
Quantity of 10 or more - $10.00 each

Production time is 3 - 4 days. We will need camera-ready art (vector format) for production.

I have a few questions. At this price I will make about 5-7. I will provide the wire posts. I can pass them out to those are often out there. The questions are:
1) Did we still want to pursue the band thing for identification?
2) Can anyone do this camera-ready art (vector format)? I do not know if it costs extra but I will find out.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:33 PM
Flaccid Member

Thumbs up

bryanleighty- Do you mind reposting the last draft of "the" Sign. Also can you do one with East Beach at the top...or better yet a non-site specific one to be used at both spots. Thank you Brother!
Old 09-22-2007, 07:33 PM
Skyway Scott

Vector based. That's interesting they phrased it that way. They must be anticipating graphics.
I think if it's only words, saving it as a true type font or EPS is all we have to do.
Is that right, Tom?
Old 09-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Flaccid Member

Have we lost all momentum on this?
Old 09-24-2007, 04:33 AM

Seems like we've lost a lot. The wife should be back in town Tues. She has almost every graphics program known to man. Find out what file extension they want and I'll have her convert Bryan's last effort.

Bob
Old 09-24-2007, 09:47 AM

Wolfie,

I had a quasi sarcastic post about my debut at the skyway:

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=4646

It seems as much talk that goes on here when I showed up at the skyway there was much less action as far as anyone questioning me.

I was also there the other day and a guy made a pass real close to the beach and actually got dragged onto the beach by his kite.

So here is this guy running across the ground trying not to fall as his kite is pulling him and not one person said anything to him about riding that close...

As far as signs go they are pretty much useless in my opinion unless people are going to speak up.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:57 AM
Can't Re-member

Dan , b/c the people that do this

Quote:
a guy made a pass real close to the beach and actually got dragged onto the beach by his kite.

So here is this guy running across the ground trying not to fall as his kite is pulling him and not one person said anything to him about riding that close...
Know quite well what they are doing and continue anyways.

So I think people have given up since obviously we are preaching to the choir
Old 09-24-2007, 09:59 AM

i didnt check forum all weekend..

what about PDF format?
I can save it any format needed .. i used photoshop to create the sign.. can save it as psd, eps, pdf, etc..

give me a call.. ill pm you my phone number..

Bryan

I still think the sign is the LEAST we can do for a start..
Yes.. people need to speak up..
Yes.. minor accidents are a dime a dozen, but when thing are so damn obviously a result of someone doing something very unsafe thats when we need to talk to people.

I guess you were not at LP when Scott told that instructor what he thought about his unsafe practices. Go Scott go! Exactly the kind of enforcing we need in that situation.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 09-24-2007, 10:13 AM
Skyway Scott

I recommend getting as high res. as possible, then saving as EPS.

Danimal, I agree, signs without talk won't do much.
Consistent talk and agreements without signs is probably more powerful.
As you said, people communicate ideas and enforce things. I never saw a speed limit sign stop a speeder.
I am fairly certain this is the approach (people communicating) that is going to be used at Lassing and am also extremely confident it is going to work. I am confident it will work primarily due to the high proportion of riders at Lassing who care about safety and the understanding(s) that have been reached out there recently among the riders.

Not to be too much of a downer, but I gave up hope on anything useful happening at the SW awhile ago after what I saw and decided not to ride there much anymore. Too many behaviors have been too thoroughly engrained over the years as acceptable in too many riders to expect a change. That's my take.
It's really too bad the place is SO close to an interstate. I wouldn't be as concerned if I didn't think our odds of killing someone in a car with a runaway kite weren't so high.

Thing is, a large number of the people that also take safety seriously feel the same way about the SW and decided to ride the SW much less as well. This leaves a smaller number of people that might speak up at the SW, while concentrating them at Lassing. This scenario only increases the odds of not being approached at the SW if you are totally clueless or a new rider.

I can tell you this though. You would have definitely been approached at Lassing.
I am confident we have at least 8 guys who take safety seriously out there and will help to keep people informed and protect our access at Lassing.

Last edited by Skyway Scott; 09-24-2007 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:24 AM

Question

Quote:
2) Can anyone do this camera-ready art (vector format)?
I do not know if it costs extra but I will find out.
Scott (Wolfie), could you ask them what exactly they mean by "vector format" (file format, file size limitations, etc. tech stuff)?
If it has anything to do with CorelDraw/CorelTrace vectorized graphics, I might help...

-Dennis