FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > KITEBOARDING AT ... launches, precautions, SCHOOLS, SHOPS, meets, local groups and more > Southwest Florida
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-29-2006, 01:16 PM

Yeah, ive flown my trainer with extreme ease, i did the body drag with it also.
I talked to the Airush rep and he said that i should just get some instructional DVDs and try it out. Maybe just keep practicing with the big kite and wait till i fly to FL to take a lesson. Thanks for your time in replying. I have a lot of questions that i need help on.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:42 PM

Glad to hear you are seeking others opinions. I`m not sure what you mean. To my knowledge I have not yet seen anybody body drag on a trainer kite in light to moderate winds. As a new rider practicing with a big kite 5 meters or above on LAND :shock: Is an ACCIDENT waiting to happen. Man good luck! I can assure you, it is not IF it will happen it is a question of WHEN.
Any person worth their merit tells you to by a DVD and then launch a kite on your OWN? WOW I can tell you, I`d never buy or associate with a MORON like that. I don`t mean to be a wet blanket.
but think about it.
To test your theory- I invite you to place your last post with FKA on the St. Petersburg site and watch the worm turn :roll: Those guys are experienced and have opinions 8)
We all are in this together and I`m not trying to set myself up as the authority.
I just hate to see anyone hurt trying to have fun. When you blow up a real kite it is not only your ass on the line but anyone around you. I personally do not know you but from what I get- imagine this- you blow up your kite in 12 kts and you get lofted, can`t control the kite and you wipe out a family with young children out building sand castles :!: :!:
Do you think kiting would be cool then?
Please check your self :idea:
I can only send my best intentions.
Please seek more input before you try this RISKY move :roll:
Old 08-29-2006, 09:13 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Ditto what Venice says in spades. It is the way it is, you DON'T want to try to figure out kiting on your own, particularly on Florida's crowded beaches. You might want to look over:

http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=1218
http://fksa.org/viewforum.php?f=81

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-29-2006, 09:26 PM

Wow, thank you so much for all that information on the safety issue, its just im only 17 and i have a part time job, i want to get into this sport so bad, im obsessive compulsive... There is a kite package I am looking at, its an Airush Halo 14 & Exile Lightwind, it is the perfect kite and board for my weather conditions.,... Although im not sure if they have enough in stock before i go down to florida in the winter to take lessons. I just dont want to miss out on this money saving deal. I was thinking of buying the kite and waiting to take lessons in the summer. I dont know, i just want to be able to learn this sport and be good at it so i can just go out one day and have some fun, you know.... get back at me with some more info..

Danny
Old 08-29-2006, 09:29 PM

Oh and I live in NY, near a uncrowded beach...
Old 08-30-2006, 06:01 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Danny,

The last thing you need to worry about is gear at this point. Once you have taken some lessons you will have your own idea about will work. Until then it is quite likely that you will buy the wrong kite size for the conditions you are going after. Finally, there is a ton of good quality used gear out there IF you know what to look for.

Empty beaches are great, then again if you are dumb enough to go solo, if something goes wrong there you are. I did this myself in 2000 and wandered around for 5 hours off my head after being lofted 80 ft. into the side of a house in a 60 mph gust. I needed to be in the ER with a serious brain hemorrhage but was delayed for a dangerously long time because I was alone. I had been kiting for two years at that point by the way. A helmet saved my life, barely.

Get the best lessons you can find. They cost but even at 17 you should see the worth of it. Read over this site, you will find many reasons. You can better manage the hazards with knowledge, going in without training is a very bad idea.

Think about it.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-30-2006, 07:58 AM

Hi Danny,
It sounds like this irresponsible MORON is more interested in selling you a kite than in your safety and the safety of others.
If you haven`t had a lesson yet, how do you know this is the perfect set up for you :?: :roll:
When you take a lesson your instructor will provide you with all the gear you need. Most instructors usually have 2 or 3 kites to use. They also probably will have a waist harness and a seat harness. Tell me which one is better for you :?: :? Do you want a C kite ? Bow kite? or a hybrid??
If that money is burning a hole in your pocket put it in the bank! :idea: :wink:
Be Safe Be SMART :!: :!:
Old 09-05-2006, 10:53 AM

Danny, Laurel gives lessons at IslandStyle kiteboarding in Sarasota
i got lessons when i was a beginner and THANK GOD I DID, ive had a couple of close calls and without training i probably would have some injurys or worse. Keep practicing w/your trainer kite in the mean time, and the instructer will jump you staight to a real kite saving you $$$.....you will have to show your abilitys on trainerkite 1st, which will prolly take 10 minutes.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:05 AM

Default Got wind?

Yo, my name is Seth and I'm a local Sarasotian. I've lived here for 9 years or so and have done off and on wakeboarding. But alas, i dont have a boat...so in comes kiteboarding. I'm new to the sport and am currently taking lessons with Laurel Kaiser at Island Style Watersports. I'm lookin for some locals who know the area and love to kite. I may have only started but i caught the bug hard and now cant think of anyhting else except kiting!! So I humbly ask to become a member of the "sarasota crew". If anyone has any tips for me or wants to go kiting sometime let me know. I'm itchin to go!