FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 01-28-2007, 08:12 PM
Can't Re-member

This is Lori talk not Raul but too lazy to log off and log on

I would have been better off on the 7. I should have depowered the bar on the 9 but didn't, so I was pretty overpowered. Should have depowered the bar dumb. But generally if I can I like the bar powered as the kite moves faster but did make the wrong choice today cuz can only stick my arms and rear end out so far!

For me I do better when I generate some of the power in the kite rather then "holding it down" but then I am not trying to get huge air either. I quess that is old school though moving your kite for power so perhaps we need to just get with the time!
Old 01-28-2007, 08:41 PM
Skyway Scott

The wind picked up BIG TIME, about 20 minutes after we decided on our kite sizes, and 5 minutes before launching (typical). Me guinea pigging it out there for 15 minutes (and sinking and walking back upwind) was a total waste of time in determining kite sizes. All that "research" in garbage wind to have the wind fill in.... I was fairly frustrated myself that all of us (except the Donster on the 11m Instinct) were most likely gonna be super LITT.

But......with bows/hybrids... I guess my point is that even still, no one got t-bagged to infinity or worked like mad.

I still remember my last C kite downwinder (same exact run, mainly the same riders). It was also the first day I saw a Waroo, as well. It started off in the mid teens at the launch and ended at about 30 knots. I got my a## handed to me on my 13m Fuel once it went past 25.
Noel, on his 9m waroo, had a ball the whole time. That's the entire reason I started looking at non-C kites was that day. I was so jealous that Noel had one kite the whole time and seemed comfy the whole time. Meanwhile, I was out of control and not having fun, at all.

If those conditions occured today, I would have started on the 11m, been happy, and ended on the 11m, a tad happier, actually. (Well, if Donna wasn't on it!)
Old 01-28-2007, 08:48 PM

Yes that is very true I made it
c-kite overpowered noway. And no way could Raul and I every ride the same kite. Although I still refuse to ride the the 14 contra beast

12 XBOW is my limit on the upper end of cabrhina bow kite size there is no need for me to go bigger then that.

Lori
Old 01-28-2007, 09:33 PM

Default N. Beach

I hit N. Beach this morning at 9 with abut 10 other people and had the best wave session! Just want to say it was awesome to ride with all my bros and sisters today. I was LIT on my 9 switchblade all day! Finally left at like 2 because I was starving! Man it was a AWESOME DAY!

RS
Old 01-28-2007, 09:52 PM

Smile Great Day

Backside skyway was great!! Out in the flats all day solid with some powered gusts.
Eric we need louder tunes man! I need to hear that beyond the channel.

Some sketchy action on the beach felt much better out on the water. One guy was heading right towards the back of Bryan's truck-that would have hurt-also one kite ripped in almost in two, another kite in the trees and at least one known board lost.

I did come across a submerged palm tree out on the flats about 300 yards beyond the channel marker towards East. Would not be fun unless you were going for the natural slider. The roots stick out and look like some seedweed-tree goes to the north.

final notes of the day-The skywalker boards are the best and I am very sore!
Old 01-29-2007, 06:19 AM

Default North County

I would think that most kiters grabbed Sunday's fun. I like these NW fronts as it spreads everyone out and gives you so many options to ride. Let's keep em comin. About a dozen or so kiters were exploring the waters of Honeymoon, 3-rooker, and Sunset Beach. All great locations for kiting. If you strictly ride down south and haven't explored the north, it might be something you want to take a look at. It is worth the drive and extra effort to find these jewels. With the crowds getting the way they are, looking for other options does everyone some good. Hope all was safe and enjoy your week.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:48 AM

i had IRB all to myself at about 3 pm, not a kite in site...
waves were awsome, some were pretty painful as well...

fyi, the crazyfly lightwind 145x48, officially smokes the glide, theres no way i could of had that much fun in waist to chest high barrels on a glide, and it rode through the waves with almost no face splashing and the extra size made it feel more like a surf board and alowed me to ride the wave without much pull from the kite....
awsome session... till one of my screws came out along with some threading from the insert
Old 01-29-2007, 07:53 AM

Angry

ya.. there was a guy hauling ass into the beach at BS SW and i thought he was showboating a bit and going to hit a transition at the waters edge..

nope.

he was on a big ass C kite and completely overpowered and heading directly for the back of my Ford Bronco parked back and off to the side of the beach. Some guys grabbed him.. not sure if he would have done the right thing and sent his kite the other way to avoid the collision.. but damn.. its one of those things I really would never want to see.

There was another guy giving a woman lessons out there too.. and the guy giving the lessons didnt seem to have his stuff together at all. his launch of his Flexi kite almost turned horrendous ...

For the love of God, Christ, Buddah, Pamela Anderson, whoever it is you pray to at night.. PLEASE do not kite at Backside Skyway until you have at least an intermediate skill level. It is a nasty, kite eating, board stealing, accident waiting to happen place.

Bad thing is that out in the channel there is enough room to accomodate tons of riders..

Get 5 on the beach and its full.

And Toby, I found your stash of mags.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 01-29-2007, 10:49 AM

Talking Leave My Mags And Mountain Dew Alone!!!

Great session at North Beach. TONS of kites on the water but plenty of space for all. It seems like there are far less kooks out there because they don't have the skillz to be able to brave the 'waves' and chop. Epic session, one of my best to date. Sore as hell this morning though, I can barely move my neck and my back feels like someone hit me in it with a sledge hammer. North Beach it is for me going forward if possible and if I am not helping Amber, that launch is EPIC yet it is too rough for inexperienced heroes to brave!!!
Old 01-29-2007, 11:33 AM
Skyway Scott

NB is awesome on a N or NW. There is a reason all the windsurfers go there and lug all their crap all the way out there when it blows.

I would be surprised if it ever gets crowded there, for various reasons. It's the one spot you could proclaim to be "the best" and still most won't go. Glad you and Roy had such a great time. Because you guys are fairly new to that spot......

If a ranger ever asks you to leave, just do it with a smile (please).
It happens on rare occassion. This is not likely to occur this time of year, but starting in March they are under pressure from various birding/environmental groups to keep the area free of "disturbance".

Also, please don't ever ride in those little "kiddie pools", if anything could get us in real trouble with the rangers out there, that's it. Glad you liked it out there Toby, it's an awesome spot.

How many windsurfers were out there? How many kiters? I know about 6 showed up on the DW with Billy. How many rigged and rode there? TONS sounds like alot. I have never seen more than 8 rig and ride there on a non-event day.