FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 09-02-2010, 08:21 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Damo on gear evolution

"The evolution of races has been changing and advancing so fast in the past five years. I can honestly say that I am lucky enough to be a part of this fun changing racing evolution. Around five years ago the boards to be using were twin tips, but not just any twin tip, a light wind with real flat rocker board. That was soon changed as people started to ride surf boards or a directional of some sort. Then the next year racers where on bigger surf boards with different fins. That is where everything started going towards bigger boards and fins. Now I sit here today with a massive Alex Aguera board in my garage with four gigantic daggers that individually are the size of your fore arm.

So now 2010 you would think we would see things slow down on the evolution side. No No No. The big question is tri-fin boards over quad fin boards? Here is the scoop on the tri-fin boards. It is incredibly easy to get the board flat and it actually makes you want to ride the opposite rail going up wind which seams to be the fastest these days. The down side is if it pointing up wind as good as a quad. My opinion is it is only a matter of time before someone wins on it and then we might go into another change where everyone rides tri-fins. The tri-fin gives you more control on the down wind and is much easier to jibe and handle the board. I think the big issue with the tri-fin is no one has had enough time playing with it and testing different set ups. As for the Quad at the moment it is the most used set up and it is what is dominating this year hands down. The quad rides like it is on rails and just wants to tack in one direction. It seams at the moment to be out pointing any board that is out there!!! It has a little more drag considering you are running with an extra fin but usually when you are racing you are really powered."

Continued at: http://www.sbckiteboard.com/search_a...44&uniqid=1996

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi