FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 05-06-2009, 01:33 PM

Default Sensors for Lassing?

What sensors do you use to figure out if the wind is up at Lassing? I check PORTS and listen to the C-Cut winds, but have never gone out to see if it coordinates with Lassing. Also, I check the sensor for pilots at Albert Whitted, but if C-Cut is blowing 20, whitted's sensor is 10knots. I know the sensor at Whitted is landlocked and not over water, so maybe its only accurate for the runway conditions. What do you suggest I use to figure out windspeed at Lassing other than a car ride?
Old 05-06-2009, 04:31 PM

Scott here, Richard.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KSPG.html (which you mentioned)
is by far the best wind sensor in our area for Easts and NEs, imo.

I also use this sensor's readings for the skyway, and then add about 20% (because it's usually 20% windier at SW than Lassing). I have found that this sensor's readings correspond exceptionally well to the actual wind speed at Lassing over the years.

The reason the SW sensor reads REALLY high compared to Albert Whitted at times is because it is way out in the channel where the wind is stronger. The readings out there in the channel usually correspond pretty well to what the wind is doing at the Skyway and EB for SE, SSW, and S but don't correspond so well on NE winds (reads much higher in the channel than where we ride at the Skyway (or EB or Lassing).
It can read 20 in the channel, especially at around noon time on a NE and be as little as 11 more near land.

The only drawback to the AW sensor is that it only reads once an hour, not every few minutes. Despite that drawback, an accurate reading once on hour is more valuable than 20 bad ones an hour.

Last edited by Unimog Bob; 05-06-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:44 PM

Thanks Scott. I've finally figured out its a little windier at the Skyway than what PORTS says
Old 05-07-2009, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUkiter View Post
Thanks Scott. I've finally figured out its a little windier at the Skyway than what PORTS says
Unless it's east, in which case its less windy than PORTS says.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:56 AM

You guys might be saying the same thing, but using the term Skyway differently. Assuming I am right, (and H too) it's just about always less windy where we ride at the Skyway than what the Skyway sensor (now called C-Cut on PORTS, and still Sunshine Skyway on iBite) reports, especially on ENE, NE and NNEs.
It is however, a little windier where we ride the Skyway than what the Albert Whitted station reports.

It seems like the when the wind is out of the SE, S, SSW... the wind where we ride (at Skyway or East Beast) is about the same as what the C-Cut sensor reports.

It's still called "Sunshine Skyway" on iBite... but iKite hasn't been forwarding the data for the sensor for several months now. Here is where you can get data from C-Cut and several others - http://co-ops.nos.noaa.gov/ports_screens/tbscreen.shtml

Oh yeah, PORTS also gives wind speeds in knots and iMight gives the same data (from same source) in mph and seems to add a couple... just to get you excited.
So, the formula is sumtin' like ( WS * 1.15) plus a couple = iKite WS.

How is that for adding confusion?

Last edited by Unimog Bob; 05-07-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:27 AM

I added to the confusion as I meant less windy than what PORTs says. Learned it after a couple of wasted drives.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:06 AM

Lassing is a myth. It does not exist...
Old 05-07-2009, 11:11 AM

Your brain is prol'ly going dead from lack of wind stimulation.
It's not gonna get any better here in the coming months. LOL...

Oh well. We just came off the best 3 months I remember around here (if not limited to weekends) , so I can't complain.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:04 PM

Very useful thread IMO.

I don't live down in St. Pete so this info has been very helpful for me when trying to decide to drive 45 minutes or not on an east wind. There is always the X factor, but at least looking at the history and actual wind can help make a decision to go or no go even if it is only hourly updates.

The Skyway sensor or C-cut is so on and off these days. Sometimes its working, sometimes its not. It seems the airport sensor is always on, and that is a big help.