FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 08-06-2007, 12:04 PM
<jason

Question kiteloops

Ok...i cant do them yet.......(Soon)
But here is my question, (maybe its just me) Do kiteloops on c kites look way f**kin cooler, or is it just the ones ive seen.....The small video on the bottom of the SS website is insane, those are some serious loops!
Old 08-06-2007, 06:37 PM

C kites have way more grunty loops, bows aren't as grunty but will still rip the hell out of you.. n if done right are sick.

i learned kiteloops back in the day on a C kite. not hard at all just takes alot of commitment. go for it and don't turn back in the middle of the loop or your f**ed
Old 08-06-2007, 09:39 PM
<jason

Tks all these little details are helping me decide which kite to get..im sure ill get worked harder from a C'kite, but it might be worth it.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:08 AM

there is so much debate about this.. its really a matter of choice and style.

the guy in that video you mention is Ruben Lenten.. one of the top riders in the world and can probably do loops like that on any kite.

check out our local pro Billy Parker next time you are at the beach.. he rides a hybrid/bow style kite and rides a very powered style with massive jumps and powered loops...

with skill, you can make any style of kite work for you.

a bow/hybrid style kite is much more forgiving for learning and gives you more wind range (thus saving you money).

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 08-07-2007, 12:21 PM
<jason

Seen some vids of billy, the guy def. Rips! Does he ride for flexi? Thinkin about a type9 or a royal era, but who knows.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:28 PM

Yes, Billy is their main USA rider. They have 2 divisions.. they are largely a UK company but anytime they need a presence in the USA they send Billy.

The royal really looks like it might be a great kite for this area.

Anything with a great low end range is worth its weight in gold for the Tampa / St. Pete beaches.

And the prices look nice too.

A used 2006 or 2007 Waroo (12 to 14 meters in size) is a very good first kite and you can get them CHEAP! local rider Inferno has one for 450$.. sick sick sick deal!!

I fly all Waroos and they have done nothing but great things for me. Stable and predictable.. easy to depower and jump and float really well...

Keep it in is prefered wind range.. bow kites can get very funky when you push the upper limits..

If you are looking to go C kite from the start (where most all of us started).. I can tell you that you will be in for a bit more frustration in the beginning.. C kites are not as forgiving for the unexperienced as well often dont do too good when the wind luffs.. I dont miss the days of unexpected hindenburg one little bit.. also relaunch is a bit more difficult.. expect more walks up the beach if nothing else..

tho... i am glad i started on C kites.. kinda like learning on a stick shift before going to automatic. you probably will develop some better habits from a C kite as opposed to the forgiving nature of a bow/hybrid. I've seen newbies do things on a bow kite that would have put them in the hospital (or worse) on a C kite.

T minus 5 days until the Gorge.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 08-07-2007, 02:21 PM
<jason

Right now ive got a 19m fuel, LF 15, and a 13m typeZ. Ive been kiting for about 6m...I started on my surfboard (strapless) but i purchased a new rrd bs3 140 a month ago but havent got to use it yet...im sure it will be nice to have the board strapped to my feet! Can waot for some wind
Old 08-07-2007, 02:23 PM
popeye

It's not just the style of the kite, but the size of the kite and how fast it turns. You want a FAST kite for kiteloops so you can complete the loop and get it back above your head asap, and thats why most people ride a size smaller when they are going to be throwing a lot of loops. Also, short lines(15M-20M) will make kiteloops insane as you get whipped up into the sky way above the kite.

it's easier not to get killed doing them when you are on a bow kite, but either kite will hand your ass to you if you do them in 25+ guaranteed.

My first kite loop was on a 13M C kite in 25. I just thought oh hell yeah I'll just try a kite loop... I'll just pull hard like this... jump like this... and...and.. OMG I AM DOING TO DIE OH NO OH NO OH NO HERE IT COMES OOOOOOF!

I was sure I had just broken my spine in half because I couldn't breathe for what seemed like an eternity at the time... but I just knocked the wind out of myself and bruised some ribs lol. The board came off my feet and shot over my head when I hit the water. A helmet is a good idea the first few times.

So I didn't learn how to do a kiteloop that day but I sure as hell learned how NOT to do one. I am positive anyone who saw it was impressed.. (kidding).

Good luck Keep the board under your feet, and point it directly down wind (at the kite). Keep your shoulders and head up, don't let it pull you head first.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:30 AM

wouldn't exactly say you want a FAST kite.

i hate fast kites with my loops... then they are shi**y
kite loops to fast with no power

i like my 12 switch for kiteloops.. not to fast, but not to slow
will throw you like theres no tomorrow and be a nice smooth pull

also gives me time to throw a flat 3 at the end (L3)

load grab the side of your bar, pop back into a raily, hold on, stay in the raily position till the loop is over, then use your arms and pull your self back in and land going downwind.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:56 AM
popeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshTaylor View Post
also gives me time to throw a flat 3 at the end (L3)

load grab the side of your bar, pop back into a raily, hold on, stay in the raily position till the loop is over, then use your arms and pull your self back in and land going downwind.
I meant to say I was talking about hooked in loops...