FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Kite Events And Competitions > *** Past KB Events! *** > Surf Expo
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 01-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Great New Things From GoPro Cameras!!!

I stopped by GoPro's booth at the 2011 Surf Expo in Orlando, FL this month to see what was new. I was happy to run into Denise Mitchell, Business Development Manager. I heard her speak at the Neil Pryde Dealers Meeting in Bimini, Bahamas where she was giving a presentation on GoPro. Have to finish processing a video of her in company with a bunch of other folks high jumping off a 70 year old grounded shipwreck, the Sapona in Bimini.

Anyway, she tells me that some products we have been hearing about for a while should be brought to market perhaps as early as March 2011. Things like an LCD display and expanded housing back package compatible with existing GoPro HD housings for perhaps as little as $80. USD. Prices are subject to change of course. I believe they are also working on an expanded capacity battery too.

The housing including LCD display on a normal wrist mount. Apologies for the blacked out portion, top secret port is in development, perhaps for dedicated underwater use? More to come on this in the future.

The color LCD display quality is good as you can see.

A side view, the expanded housing doesn't really make things that much wider. Imagine, all the great GoPro imaging options WITH realtime viewing and framing! For some aps it may not make much difference like what follows further down on BASE jumping. For shooting underwater and elsewhere by hand it will be incredible! Looking forward to getting one of these once they hit the streets.

... AND, GoPro is planning on releasing their 3-D camera housing (less cameras), processing software (a great help!) and interface cable for perhaps as little as $100. USD (subject to change), also in March!

Stereo housing mounted and leased to a surfboard. The images are going to be insane!

I understand you should be able to use either left, right circular polarizing filters or the more traditional red/green filters for creating the 3-D effect. Have to say the image quality of the polarized GoPro video on display in the booth was excellent. Instead of wearing red and green lens filters you wear glasses with clear polarizing lenses. I understand dedicated 3-D polarizing TVs are being cranked out now in the Far East and are available in the USA for under $500.

Denise introduced me to Neil Amonson, a renown BASE jumper and speed flier sponsored by GoPro. His videos were running on multiple screens throughout the booth.

Here is Neil posing by a intense video of him doing a header in a wingsuit at light speed in Norway.

The actual video, great stuff! Neil Amonsons BASE jumping pretty much all over resulting in some dazzling GoPro images.

Neil indicated that he has moved into more sustainable areas of paragliding from BASE jumping. Makes sense to me, we all have bad days over time in extreme sports. Some bad days can be more extreme than others however!

Neil and Neil, shown speed flying down into Cham Valley from the Aiguille du Midi.

A 180 degree panorama of the mountain wall from the razor back catwalk Neil launched from. I believe he overflew some of those sharp peaks in the distance towards Switzerland along the valley.
Click image for full sized photo.

The actual video of Neil Amonson jetting past some insane alpine scenery speed flying down to Chamonix from the Aiguille du Midi. It is only about a 10,000 ft. vertical drop and an amazing spot to visit much less dive off. It is part of the Mont Blanc Massif and opposed across the valley by Brevant. It is an incredibly scenic and dramatic area, great for skiing/snowboarding or jumping off of high objects.

It is great GoPro has developed ultra compact and rugged HD cameras to go where we want to go and bring some of the experience back. That said, here are a few of my own GoPro videos.

A stimulating collection of video from GoPro cameras going to it in all sorts of activities.

Denise told me after a couple years of monumental growth and working out some of the supply side issues with the tremendous demand they are now going to focus pretty heavily on new product development. Love these cameras, keep the new concepts coming!

More information at:

http://www.goprocamera.com/

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by admin; 01-18-2011 at 08:02 AM.