FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 06-17-2009, 11:20 AM

Default Summer trade winds?

I rode 4 days last week, once so far this week, and maybe today. It would be sweet if this pattern holds for a while. Anybody else been getting out?
Old 06-17-2009, 11:41 AM

Yeah.

It's been pretty decent for a summer here. I think maybe it's because the high pressure hasn't moved (and stayed) over on the east coast yet. My bet is that once the Bermuda High sets in that it will start to rain again and the wind will shut off around here. Might make St. Augustine better though.. who knows.

It's been nice with the NW sea breezes. Not so common this time of year, usually.
Going out now, it's white capping.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:46 PM

I see it hitting around 14 on clearwater beach some days, but not ridable IMO.

What size kites/boards are your guys rockin?
Old 06-17-2009, 12:50 PM

I keep missing them. By the time the seabreeze is kicked in, I'm either at work, or immersed in some annoying project that takes precedence. Any secrets to picking the right day that the seabreeze will be rideable that you want to share. It seems the days I'm blowing off as not likely rideable are actually the right day way too often. I should become a meteorologist
Old 06-17-2009, 01:03 PM

these have been some of the best summer sea breezes we have had. Rode the 12 speed II everyday but Sunday. Blowing in the high teens right now gusting to 20. Headed out.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:21 PM

It blows different depending on where you are. I have seen it blowing really good at PaG and only be blowing 8 knots at Treasure Island. Also, the sensors are meaningless for Wests/NWs, imo. Most of them along the beach don't do a good job of reporting wind, or report it 2 hours too late. I haven't looked at a sensor for NW in over 6 years. Chris Moore knows that
You have to be at the beach or use the beach cams. I live close and use the beach cams.

It just blew solid 17+ plus at least (probably hovering around 20) from the NW to NNW for a few hours and is still blowing at PaG/Upham.
I was actually overpowered (in terms of unhooking) on my 13m 'Roo. That happens right at 20. I would have been better on an 11m or even 9m for unhooking. Obviously you could hold on to anything hooked in, but why? .

The cam is better with moving pics, because you get a feel for how many whitecaps there are. But here is a single frame.

Last edited by Unimog Bob; 06-17-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:04 PM

I think the sensors are my downfall. I'm gonna have to stop relying on them. I hate dropping what I'm supposed to be doing at home or work to drive out and get skunked. It seems to happen enough to where I'm not heading out unless the sensor reads good. Guess that's the mistake. I'm just gonna have to take the drive.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:19 PM

locate some sensors that are around you but not on the computer. I have a stand of Australian pines across from my office and I have learned that if they are moving one third down from the top it is good to go ride. The big flag on the corner of US 19 and Curlew Rd can be a tell tale sign of what we will find at the beach, not always but pretty close.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:26 PM

I rode TI on Monday late afternoon on a 15m Waroo and today on an 11m Waroo. I did not see many people out likely due to the borderline readings on the meters. The sea breezes are difficult to predict and often don't last very long. As Scott has said you have to be Johnny on the spot - I have been lucky this week but have also sat watching the meters and missed it or have gone out and been skunked. It might be helpful to have a session report section or use this part of the forum to provide some information that people can use to correlate with the meters or whatever they are using to try to make a decision on if it is rideable.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:44 PM

I think the camera is the most reliable. You guys down is St. Pete area are lucky to have that.

I think Whitey's idea is spot on in the absence of a camera. Look at some trees, a flag, something to monitor. I have a big flag outside the window of the shop, and that is the best sensor I have for a seabreeze on Indian Rocks Beach.

It was pretty obvious today that it was going to blow, got started early and cranked right along. Agreed that the high pressure is helping it.

I have always had a rule of thumb for a seabreeze however.....if I have to drive more than 30 minutes to get to it, I usually don't even try. That's just me though. You don't know if you don't go. Try not to beat yourself up over it. Luckily, we get to ride this place hard almost year round. It could be worse.