FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 01-29-2007, 01:25 PM

There was at least 8-10 kites at NB for a while. The waves were awesome.
We've been lucky to have two EPIC Sundays in a row!

Yesterday was one of my most fun days ever. Got out there at about 1:30 and rode for about four hours with only a couple 5 min. breaks. ...learned some new stuff too.

The only thing that would've made it better would be if you guys at Backside cranked up the tunes loud enough for us to hear all the way out at North Beach. That would be something huh? If you can hear a stereo a mile away that's playing straight into the wind, I'd say you have some serious wattage.

Inferno,
What kind of waterproof MP3 player is that you use? I'm impressed that it holds up to the abuse of kiteboarding and was considering getting a regular (non-waterproof) one anyway.

On a side note... I noticed there was a few people going through the windsurfer's area a couple times. Hopefully, nobody pissed them off too bad. They could potentially be the ones to complain.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:46 PM

not sure which waterproof case danny (inferno) has.. but I have the otterbox for my nano and its sweet.

i am looking to get one of the helmets that has headphones built in so i dont have to have the plugs in the ears. i like to be able to somewhat hear whats going on around me ..

but to be 100% honest.. i really just like the sound of nothing but the wind and the water ..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 01-29-2007, 01:49 PM

the otterbox is nice but i bought the h2oaudio case, its a step up from the otterbox, it looks much more rugged...

(i bought the otterbox first and then returned it for the h20audio model)
Old 01-29-2007, 01:51 PM
Skyway Scott

I really do think that was about as good as our NW wind gets here.

The windsurfers have been totally cool with us so far (no worries). But, only kiters that can easily maneuver and respect the windsurfers have been riding out there so far.
I don't think I have ever seen an inexperienced rider out there and it should probably remain that way (on windy days).
Old 01-29-2007, 02:30 PM

i have the new otterbox for the 2nd gen ipods.. need to check yours out next time i see you danny..

mine is pretty rugged.. but im more concerned w/ the waterproof housing..

the nano is so light so there is not much in ruggedness needed, i just need to keep water out.

already lost one ipod out on the water (forgot i had my shuffle in my pocket).. dont want to lose another.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 01-29-2007, 03:51 PM

Had a blast on Sunday morning at NB. My First time riding there and I had so much fun riding the waves. I mean flat, waves, choppy I don't care. I can get enough of this. As usual I saw a lot of happy faces at the beach. Good for all!
Old 01-29-2007, 06:52 PM

Default H2o

If your interested, WSW carries the H2O line. We looked at them all and although they are a bit more $$$, but we feel they are the best in terms of construction. Basically waterproof camera housing that has been around for awhile now protecting much more expensive equipment to much deeper depths. H2O recommends going no deeper than 10 ft however. Headphones are a bit AM ish out of the water, but as soon as you get them submerged they light up with sound. Almost twice as loud and a full range of sound. Truly designed for the water. There are better headphones for listening above water, but none are waterproof. Hope that helps.

Never been to North Beach yet, but really looking forward to it someday. I always seem to go to IRB 27th Ave as it is 5 minutes from the house. Wave quality not as good but definately picks up a good N or NW. Call me lazy, but I just don't want to do the drive. Guess I need to suck it up and see what it is all about. Thanks for invite Randy, maybe next time.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:27 PM

Talking

I would say that throughout the day there were at least 30 if not more kiters out there...thoroughout the day...but when we first rigged at 8:30 AM, I think there were 10-11 of us and I would probably say the most on the water at one time was about 13-15 but maybe more, I didn't count...I was having WAY too much fun!!! Like I said...EPIC!!! As for windsurfers, there were lots out too, probably about 8-10 to start as well and they came and went all day. They were way cool, one guy even crashed his waroo with twisted lines and was getting drug through them, they just casually rode around him. I ran down the beach and swam out to get the kite and all was ok, kite was fine. The great thing about yesterday is that it was what I envisioned kiting when I got into the sport. Everyone being respectful, cool with each other and sharing the stoke!!! It just plain ROCKED!!!

PS - the OR Mako just TORE up the waves...

Last edited by toby wilson; 01-29-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:31 PM

Default North Beach

I second Toby's response. It seemed like everyone was getting along and respecting each others space. It was great to ride with Roy, Toby, Mark, Brian, etc. That was the second time I have been to N. Beach and it was epic. I rode from about 10:30 till 4 with a few rest stops - I am worn out! I am definitely a big fan of NW winds. Can't wait for more. Hope to see you guys again soon.

Tony
Old 01-30-2007, 09:39 AM

Thanks Bryan, Danny & Steve-O for the info on the mp3 cases etc.

Steve-O,
That's good to know, I was planning on coming in to WSW soon anyway to check out those new Ronix bindings. I'll call first to make sure they've come in.

Thursday's forecast was looking to be good for S to SW winds, my favorite, but it seems to be changing to SE.... damn. Oh well, still time to change. It seems like the forecasters don't know anything for sure until the last 12-24 hours. I would've had to play hookey anyway.