FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 06-14-2013, 04:33 AM

Lightbulb Prototype-Video: Kite scooter could outpace raceboards

Race course kite boards can reach tremendous speeds easily exceeding 20knts in very light winds from 6knts onwards, if operated by skilled riders.
While this sounds like an excellent alternative to "classical" kite boarding, when the wind is just to light, hardly anyone seems to do it.
Main reason for this, I suppose, is a steep learning curve and it being physically and mentally exhausting, at least for beginners.
In the following video I am presenting a prototype of a kite scooter with a heel free rigging system, which could be operated almost instantly and effortlessly by any kiter.
I am convinced that, once properly designed by more qualified people than I am, it will performance-wise at least be on a par, if not even ahead of raceboards (due to a more effective fin/foil and the ability to use a bigger kite enabled by the heel free design).

Any feedback, praise, concerns, suggestions, questions, etc. welcome

Ingo

Last edited by ricki; 06-14-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:04 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

A screen capture from Ingo's video

Intriguing concept Ingo! What do you call the dynamic rudder faring assembly on the front of the scooter? That is quite an inspired and involved piece of work. They way it moves in three dimensions, rotates and ties the effort together is inspired. You can get quite a bit of speed out of your device. Have you experimented with shorter line sets? Have you encountered awkward or hazardous circumstances with the device as of yet say in suddenly gusting conditions with a large kite up?

I put a few screen captures up to aid in obtaining a quick look at the device. You really need to watch Ingo's video to better see and understand the function of the device, launching, riding, landing, etc.

For more background on the concept this is what Ingo put on the youtube website:

"This kite-scooter, despite being an amateur-built and somewhat crude and heavy prototype, is a fast, incredibly versatile, easy to operate and amazing sail craft
Designed for light wind and flat water conditions it is best powered by any light wind surf kite, the bigger the better. The ingenious bow-mounted pivotable rigging system - not only provides the lateral resistance vital for upwind sailing in the most effective conceivable way by using one hydrofoil for each tack, It even transmits only the desired components of kite and foil generated forces to the hull, but not a tiny little bit of heeling moment, the main performance limiting and often unease generating factor of any conventional sail craft. The value of the mentioned assets highly effective asymmetric foils combined with a huge sail area enabled by a completely heel free design, becomes apparent by the fact that these are shared by no less a sail craft than the VESTAS Sailrocket, which just recently has smashed the existing speed records for water based sailing."

"Objective of my kite-scooter concept is not, however, to chase speed records, but to create a maximum of excitement in the lightest of winds, in a craft that could be operated after nothing but a short instruction, by anyone able to safely fly a surf kite. Once the many variable parameters in foils, rig and hull are optimized, I am expecting downwind speeds of considerably more than 20knts, in as little as 6knts of wind. That would about match the performance of race course kite boards and certainly be fast enough to have some fun.I am next going to find and hopefully convince the right people to help me turn this from a concept into an awesome product and you might be able to help me as well,
by sharing this clip or simply giving some feed back! Please rate, share and comment."

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 06-15-2013 at 06:34 AM.