FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 10-21-2006, 08:10 PM
tomstock

Old 10-22-2006, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optionryder420
Did my post get deleted or did I just not post it?

What rules did I violate with my post so I can be sure not to do it again.
Kev I can say that I know nothing about a post of yours getting deleted. Deleting of a post should be few and far between, unless you resort to spam, playground tactics and name calling there really shouldn't be any deleting.

Regarding the official rules here, I didn't make them up but they appear to be pretty simple:

Do not advertise outside of [COM] Forums.
Do not show disrespect for others in your postings.
Users can be denied access to this Site without warning.
FKA, Inc., it’s officers and moderators are not responsible
for the content of the postings and any links or pictures posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigR
I know that the rules and regulations really worked out well for the school in Miami since they worked out a monopoly for kiting at Crandon Park with the rangers.
I am no Crandon Park expert, but from what I know of the situation, it actually worked out well for the local kiteboarders who are limited in beaches to kite at in the area. Kiteboarding was banned at that park and it took the proactive measures by concerned kiteboarders to negotiate with the park to allow access. Maybe Rick will shed some light on the past and present situation at Crandon in order to clear up any biased opinion and rumor.

The real issue for us locally is preventing access restrictions and bans BEFORE they occur. This should be simple to achieve if the majority agree upon, respect and adhere to reasonable and common sense based guidelines and order among the kiteboarding community.

Nobody likes "rules", however I do believe our rules will be more in our favor and interests than Pinellas County (DeSoto) or the FDOT (Skyway) rules or outright bans on kiteboarding.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:38 AM

One other thing occurs ot me at least in reading here. While most of us agree there should be some kind of regulation in kiting, you have a bunch of people who may kite regularly (not even visitors) that don't read the boards or even realize that access may be restricted. I would commend all of us for making the community what it is, however even if you have concurrence here, the ones that really need to know probably aren't reading this, and most likely won't have the same "investment" in our spots. I was talking with a co-worker and he said at TI a while ago some guy was trying to learn on his own and slamming his kite down everywhere, he said that seemed really stupid. It is that kind of person we need to reach out to and encourage to become a part of the kiting culture here in TampaBay and beyond.

I definitely know if and when I decide if I am brave enough, I wouldn't go it alone.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:25 PM

I may have just not hit the submit button and exited out without realizing it, but I guess my post could've fallen into the catagory of disrespect (IE profanity.) Sorry if that was the case.

But I was just stating I don't want ANY officials involved in our rules at East Beach. The only way we should need to establish rules is if there IS an outright ban and we need rules to get the place back.

Don't mess around with mentioning anything to the rangers because that'll just get us in more trouble.

It's more of a don't ask don't tell policy, we need to better self police ourselves.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:06 PM

Old 10-22-2006, 01:06 PM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
I am no Crandon Park expert, but from what I know of the situation, it actually worked out well for the local kiteboarders who are limited in beaches to kite at in the area. Kiteboarding was banned at that park and it took the proactive measures by concerned kiteboarders to negotiate with the park to allow access. Maybe Rick will shed some light on the past and present situation at Crandon in order to clear up any biased opinion and rumor.

You can take my word, I have been kiting there since 1996. The sites in miami are all under constant threat of closing from officials. That county park was led into a "relationship" that was exclusive to an entity. The other kiteboarders in the area that didn't agree said " $#@! " this and now kite elsewhere like matheson hammock
Old 10-22-2006, 01:52 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigR
Quote:

You can take my word, I have been kiting there since 1996. The sites in miami are all under constant threat of closing from officials. That county park was led into a "relationship" that was exclusive to an entity. The other kiteboarders in the area that didn't agree said " $#@! " this and now kite elsewhere like matheson hammock

Raul, what the hell are you talking about?

I've spent several hundred hours of my time over many years trying to preserve access at a place that I ride at maybe once a year and before less than that. This includes traveling hours across two counties to numerous meetings with officials to negotiate the means of maintain access. A hundred faxes, emails, group meetings, advisories, finding insurance, losing it after a few years, working up a solution and making it stick, preparing and negotiating guidelines in the hopes that it might work this time. There was more than this of course. We lost it quite a few times and it took talking and a fair amount of work to restore it each time.

All this time and effort was donated by me not to make money but to try to preserve access. Failing money a bit of respect and regard would be appreciated. I will admit I am out of touch currently, the manager has changed again and for what I know things are still moving forward. So, I'm going to stay out of it until and if things start to show signs of distress again.

Make sure you know what you are talking about and more critically, who you are insulting.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-22-2006, 07:04 PM
tomstock

Old 10-22-2006, 07:36 PM

Old 10-22-2006, 07:43 PM
tomstock