FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 11-23-2010, 10:35 PM

Default Sharks at Bathtub Beach, Stuart Florida

I counted 21 Bull looking sharks from chopper at B.B. today, 11/23/10 around 2 P.M. They were on the outside of the reef and maybe 5-7 feet with one at 10 feet. Another three were about 3 miles south on another reef there. One on the n. jetty at the St. lucie inlet about 4-5 ft. Shark attack was last Feb so these guys "rule." No migration now? Went south to Tiger's house but never saw any there.
So, on downwinders: stay close to the beach
Old 11-24-2010, 04:17 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thanks for the heads up. Did you see the 21 sharks clustered just east of the reef rimming Bathtub marked by the breakers? This location is about 2 miles south of where Steve Schafer was attacked by a bull or tiger shark while kiting.

It sounds like you might fly this area regularly? Outside of the normal spring shark migrations how often do you see sharks along this stretch? Dumb question, are you sure they were bull sharks? Bulls have more attitude than other sharks and potentially issues to go with as you know. I had trouble identifying one in a photo about six feet away underwater which is why I ask. They would be big enough to be bulls over spinners or blacktips from your estimates but if you take out the 33% size enlargement, they fall into spinner size again. Even if they are spinners, bulls and tigers seem to hang around them for the odd snack. I understand the spinners and blacktips head back south after pupping off the Carolinas in the fall. Maybe they were part of that movement.

Another dumb question, will the lifeguards at Bathtub let you ride close to the beach? I assume they're back after the beach restoration?

Regardless of quibbling about what type of shark, 21 tiburons are a lot of sharks particularly together and worth taking precautions over. Thanks again!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 11-24-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
will the lifeguards at Bathtub let you ride close to the beach?
you are not allowed under any circumstances to ride anywhere near the
lifeguard area on the north side.
There are no lifeguard areas on the south side, there you can ride if you exercise common sense
Old 11-25-2010, 06:56 AM

I do fly from Stuart Airport alot. So, yesterday when no wind, I did the same flight. This time I was over head at 200 feet around 4 PM which must have been high tide. The water in this area, as it is shallow, allows better vision then further north where the waves and sand muck up the view. This time unfortunely, I saw 100 sharks (not a typo mistake=hundred) smaller 3-6 feet and inside and all over the reef of Bathtub Beach. Yes, I read that they are going to open the beach this weekend after the restoration. We were able to see three more north near Stuart beach. I think they are bulls as bulls like the shallow waters and flying down to Key West you can some times see them in the shallow small 20 ft diameter "pools." Usually the spinners will be smaller and jump. These were big ugly brown round snouted beasts. BigR is probably correct as kiters have to stay off the beach area where the swimmers are so kiting between the reef and beach may not work in all areas.
Also, someone thought it is mating season, but I read that bulls mate all year long. If in the area, email me to my cell and get a ride? mecutl@cs.com