FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 04-13-2010, 03:45 PM
tog0713

Default Effect of Sea Breeze on NE Winds?

The last few nights as well as predicted for tonight the NE breeze will blow hard overnight only to die out during the day. Am assuming the sea breeze effect which blows from the West runs counter to the NE wind and blocks this breeze during the day. Does this assumption match local knowledge of wind patterns around Tampa Bay?

Regards,
Tim, St. Pete Newbie
Old 04-14-2010, 04:06 AM

Yep.

I don't even plan on riding ENE or NE at the Skyway until 1.5 hours before dark.

It's also common for it to go straight from 12 knots or so to 20 (or 25) plus in as little as 30 seconds. That didn't happen last night, but commonly does.
That can be a real problem for guys that just rigged and are riding their biggest kites.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:06 AM

Unimogscott,

It started blowing like crazy at lp round 7:15 last night, lets hope it does the same tonight, just earlier!
Old 04-14-2010, 10:42 AM

I've checked and I'm still signed up for the text message service, but haven't gotten any texts lately. Nowadays is the time that the texts will be very helpful for everyone to be able to catch a good seabreeze. The other day I wanted to go out, but the sensors weren't reading high enough for me, so I decided to catch up on housework. Later that day I found out it was better than the sensors said. The texts would have saved me from a day of honey-dos. If its not just my membership to the service acting up, hopefully we can get back into the swing of using it.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:38 AM

Pretty sure I saw you out there last night Danny. It was sweet!

Richard -- Not sure why people seemed so amped about the Text service, only to have no one use it. I wouldn't have bothered researching that TextMark stuff and setting it up if I knew I was wasting my time.

I just have a "normal talk phone", otherwise I would text when it's blowing. Sorry no one else is using it to help each other out.

http://www.textmarks.com/WINDY