FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 11-23-2011, 05:43 AM

Default key west

i'll be at key west dec 29 for 4 days. i've been many times and know about Smathers beach. but i have not found a launch for the northerly breezes. i will be bringing my kayaks this time so i could paddle out a little for a good launch. unfortunately, all i've seen is mangrove islands. i have in the past contacted kite companies but they loose interest and hang up as soon as they learn I fly foils. i am not a newby as i've been doing this for 12 years. where to go for northerly wind?
Old 11-23-2011, 06:53 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Unfortunately, KW is very limited for easy shoreside northwind launches. There is a marginal one I recall to the NW of Roosevelt just below Stock Island. I would speak to Paul Menta or Greg . You don't want to go to just any sand bar/mangrove island in Florida Bay as some are protected wildlife areas with fairly active rangers. Bird issues in short which I suspect you can relate to. Again Paul or Greg should be able to fill you in. To be honest, the best, easiest way to deal with north winds would be through sea taxi through either outfit to a sandbar a few miles off KW in a clear area. Have a good trip!

Paul http://www.thekitehouse.com/
Greg http://keywestkiteboarding.com/

Most don't bother with shore launch in northerly winds not only in KW but in most of the other Keys as well. The shoreside launches, water depth, access, absence of powerlines, etc. etc.. for north wind are usually poor at best, more often dangerous. I would take the sea taxi if north winds come along. More about Smathers and rideable winds precautions at: http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=5813

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCSrule View Post
i'll be at key west dec 29 for 4 days. i've been many times and know about Smathers beach. but i have not found a launch for the northerly breezes. i will be bringing my kayaks this time so i could paddle out a little for a good launch. unfortunately, all i've seen is mangrove islands. i have in the past contacted kite companies but they loose interest and hang up as soon as they learn I fly foils. i am not a newby as i've been doing this for 12 years. where to go for northerly wind?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-23-2011, 07:28 AM

Default key west

Sorry , I am unavailable those dates, however give me a call and I will try and hook you up with some of the locals who will be going out to sandbars where you will be able to set your foils up.
Greg 305 407 6748
Old 11-25-2011, 07:23 AM

thanks Greg, I'll do that. Where are the flats exactly? i will have 2 kayaks so we could paddle there if not too far.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:37 AM

Default flats

The flats are basicaly everywhere, the spot where most of the guys ride is about one to one and a half miles out, through the harbour which has really strong currents. If you are able to set up and launch your foils in knee deep water then you can go to a number of locations, if you need exposed sand, your options are almost nil when it comes to paddling out and very limited by boat.

Greg
Old 11-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

All of Florida Bay is just a bunch of flats, hundreds of square miles of them. I understand some wildlife biologists are sensitive to bird interactions with some activities like kiting. Best to avoid the mangrove cays in Florida Bay, there are tons of those out there too. I would go to the sand bar as Greg is saying, it is well west of the nearest mangrove cays. I see the sandbar is about 8 miles roundtrip from KW. Best to take a boat.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi