FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 01-01-2007, 11:24 PM

Default 60 miles an hour was recorded in Long beach CA(video)

check this guy out with his lish ...dumb ass
http://www.youkiteboard.com/view_vid...7b62254211691b

you have to check his replies...that's how some beaches get banned
Old 01-01-2007, 11:43 PM
tomstock

What a F@#$tard. Using a board leash too! Good thing he didn't get lofted, he'd have broken his legs then his board would have taken off his head.

I can't believe he hot launched in 60mph, foil or not!
Old 01-02-2007, 04:27 AM
E-Bone

Yeah, this guy is a tool. Give me a f***ing break, the board leash really shows how pathetic this guy's thinking was. What a no-skillz tool. It's funny that Toby is hazing his ass in the comments section.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:29 AM

Exclamation

I am just sick of seeing this kind of stupid kooky crap and have decided to start opening my mouth whenever I see someone (to put it nicely) making a mistake and putting themselves and/or others as well as our launches in danger. I have had more close calls with people being unsafe and almost running into me in the last month than I have over the rest of the time that I have been riding. It is really getting dangerous just being out there standing on the beach.

Amber (and Erick while helping me teach her how to launch and land her kite) almost got taken out this weekend by an out-of-control newbie learning from a more experienced rider just 10 yards offshore at Skyway North. The newbie got drug into her new kite and luckily didn't get caught in her lines.

If you are teaching newbies (especially at SWN), please walk out to the sandbar, and especially if they are working on water starts.

Last edited by toby wilson; 01-02-2007 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:08 AM

Really not trying to be an azzhole but the "experienced" rider really needs to be talked to. I am not thinking of anyone needing to post names on this forum, but someone needs to make clear that this is not acceptable.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 01-02-2007, 10:27 AM
tomstock

I was out there the other day... SSW, 8mph, 4mph on the beach. 12 kites in the air!! In 6-10mph?! What!

Imagine what a 15-20mph day will look like in 2 years!

I couldn't even find anywhere to lay out my lines, so I headed off somewhere else to ride in peace.

This sort of thing is exactly why I decided against becoming an instructor. I calculated that to make a living, I would need to teach between 78 and 150 students per year. Figure half of those are locals, and only half of them continue with the sport. That would leave at least 20 - 40 beginners per year from just me alone. In two years we would have between 40 and 80 new riders at the skyway in exchange for my new career, and that wouldn't include the numerous other instructors in the area.

I ultimately decided that whatever money I would make would never replace the riding locations the whole community would loose due to over crowding.

Don't get me wrong, my intent is not to bash instructor, they do a fine job and are generally great guys who work hard, and most have been riding longer than I have (but not all).

But the sad fact is that promoting this sport means over crowding our favorite riding locations. And when a large chunk of that crowd are beginners, the number of accidents will increase quickly.

Have a look at Sunset or Upham beach on a good day of surfing.... riders sitting shoulder to shoulder as far as you can see. That's a whole gulf beach... we only have a handful of good East wind locations, each smaller than half of a football field.

Our sport is fermenting.

Last edited by tomstock; 01-02-2007 at 10:52 AM.