FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-08-2008, 08:36 PM

Default Kite Ban on beaches of Sand Key

A very troubling situation occured today at Sand Key (not the park).

Some of you know of this place on Sand Key....there is a small park on the east side of Gulf Blvd that has free public parking. Across the street is a public access out to the beach. The beach up there is great, very wide, and very few people if any on it. Up until today, I was unaware that there is an ordinance there against surfing, skim, and any kind of boarding. Keep in mind this is not Sand Key Park I am speaking of.

Mike Hall called me today, and he was up there doing his thing. A volunteer officer came out and told him he couldn't kite there and that he if didn't leave, he would get a ticket. He also was give a brochure explaining all of the rules of the beaches of sand key. Rule 6. was no surf, skim, or board of any kind. There was an included map including Sand Key park all they way south to Bellair. The residents of Bellair tried to ban skimming on their beach as well, but did not succeed. One resident knocked some sense into the old folks.

Anyway, I am confused as surfing is allowed at Sand Key park. There is a surfing area, but I believe any beach south of the area is off limits and apparently including kiteboarders. This is in writing on a brochure from the city of Clearwater. I have no idea how long this has been in effect. I have a call in the the officer in charge of that area, but have heard nothing. I have also contacted all the local surf shops.

Last edited by Steve-O; 08-08-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:03 PM

they tried to pull the same B.S. about five years ago, and my father and I ended up in the newspaper about it. We were out there surfing a hurricane swell and were approached in the same way. Its a bunch of "moved here from Ohio and now I own the beach" condo commando's on volunteer patrol on 4 wheelers that say POLICE on them. Isnt that illegal in itself? anyways, the last time this noise was made the determination is this.... From the mean high tide mark seaward is considered STATE WATERS and unless regulated by lifeguards and considered a swim area (as on clearwater beach, and Sand key park) a@@hole on his four wheeler can't do sh$t. If you notice those buoys say "no wake" and the only authority over said waters would be from the coast guard, marine patrol or possibly (need to check on this one) a sheriff marine unit. If you use that parking lot and sidewalk mentioned, you are using a PUBLIC ACCESS and are on a PUBLIC BEACH and have no right to be harrassed. Last time this issue went away pretty quick. I am in direct contact with the Clearwater Harbormaster and would gladly have these rules clarified if necessary. I thought they had gotten over their "pamphlets" what a load of crap
Old 08-08-2008, 09:34 PM

So help me out with this one...

So what they are saying is that I can't kitesurf on a downwinder from IRB to clearwater beach, because I would be kiting along sandkey and that is illegal?

Or I am not allow to launch from those beaches? Is bellaire shores off limits? That is the area with all the big houses on the water...
Old 08-08-2008, 09:54 PM

Not real sure exactly what the F is up, all I know is Mike was asked to leave today or get a ticket.

Not sure if I should even talk to the police just yet.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Skyway Scott

I don't know the "law" out there, but this has been going on for 5 years (at least). I have been asked to leave several times (the park... I know Steve is talkin' across the street). Once, Paul, Raul, Donna, Lori, and about 5 others were there.

It's commonly a different set of "police" each time. Sometimes beach police, sometimes the lifeguards, sometimes the condo police. I have written about this on multiple occasions over the years.

Steve, not saying this for any reason but to state facts. I have also spoken of two bans that were both turned over about 5 years ago. Some of you guys act like it's not possible or coming out of left field. Again, I don't know the "law", but I have seen two full out bans already. One required lawyers, the other just some talking. Al Lindsay and I were both written tickets and told we would go to jail the next time we rode at one point at a spot.Notice I am not mentioning where? It's because we are on good terms at that spot now.

In terms of talking on here (this is my opinion, you guys do as you please) I understand it's frustrating, but you guys DO realize how many people read this forum, right? Well, by tomorrow, you will have pissed off some of the people we may actually try to talk (calmly) with. Might I suggest you don't call people names and act like you own the beach. Simple fact is, we don't. It's my opinion it's best not to antagonize people, but work with them. Steve and others, if you believe in TBKA's cause please don't bitch about people that my influence our future on here by calling names. I realize it's out of frustration, that's about it, but it reads like pretty harsh as.s munch material, if someone didn't know you guys (just being honest). I do know you guys, and have perspective on it. Many won't.

If I was out there in charge and read this, I would say "screw you" to you guys, just cuz you pissed me off. Some authority figures are that way, you know. Anyway, I am hoping I can delete this post by tomorrow.
If not, at least Jim Wilson and a few others know my position and belief it's a privilege to ride, not some right I take for granted.

Anyway, the area around Sand Key is whimsical. Sometimes they ask you to leave, sometimes they don't.
Sometimes you are nice and they let it slide, sometimes not. I stopped riding there the last time they asked us all to leave and starting riding a little south of there. Hopefully it will turn out. I just know Jim Wilson reads this (guaranteed) as do others.

I guess if you guys want to do the hard ball "screw you" deal, go for it. That's usually not the best way is my opinion.
I am a little surprised that some of you are surprised. This stuff has come up so much for me personally and been on my mind for quite some time. I guess it's only when people experience it for themselves they believe that it happened to others (?)
Old 08-08-2008, 11:00 PM

I guess I am scared like many for the future of the sport. I have the honor of teaching beginners every week at the shop. One of our topics is riding spots. We talk about places to kite vs. places not to kite. Lifeguard areas, Howard Park, possibly Sunset, and now adding to the list Sand Key.

I guess I fear that 10 years from now my book of 15 riding spots is down to 3 spots. It will take time, but I fear it will happen.

Soapbox: People go out, party, drink like rock stars, get in cars and drive and put others around them at risk. Accidents happen and people die. I should know, my brother was a victim. It is a fact of life. Bars are still in business, people drink till they can't spell their name, and life goes on.

But we are going to ban some skimboarder from throwin his board along the sand.

No, I guess I am not surprised the idiotic thinking in this country.

I guess I am the kind of person that wouldn't mind going to jail for something I believe in.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:55 AM

+1 SkywayScott
Old 08-09-2008, 08:15 AM

For what it's worth I agree with Scott completely, that a level head is going to go much farther than a hot head.

To add to that, sometimes you have to lose a battle to win the war. I can handle not kiting there.....but cmon skimboarding?
Old 08-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Skyway Scott

This definitely isn't a contest. I think Gary was just shorthanding there.
I am just trying to point out that non-kiting people read this and get "vibes" off it. I learned that after I bitched about Lassing and that guy's lights. I obviously have been no angel in the past regarding vocalizing my dislike of stuff. But, when a bigger threat comes up, how we sound on here might really matter. If it's a bigger deal, more non-kiters might be reading.
Anyway, just something to think about. To be honest, I am not planning on people taking my advice, but I thought I would throw it out there anyway.

Unfortunately, "rights" can get limited. I remember when skis routinely pulled up at the 'tow or wherever they wanted. Not anymore. Jetskiers and businesses involved with jetskiing fought that... and lost.
Sure they are allowed in the water, but not on the beach in many areas. It's not impossible that something similar might happen to us. Hopefully it won't, but for the life of me, I can't see this coming year not being chock full of similar encounters regarding access. I am just hoping we work as a team to get through this stuff, as opposed to resorting to fighting. If we do discuss things in a heated fashion, we should do it off of here is my take.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:03 PM

Defiantly not a contest!!!! A +1 on a forum post means you agree with facts mentioned in the previous post and does not suggest that you’re comparing one view to another. The +1 is used about as frequently as the BUMP.

Does this one need to be explained futher?