FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 07-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Arrow Video - Losing Key West Launch To Nude Beach?

Driving down for the Key West City Commission Meeting tomorrow night to try to preserve access at Smathers Beach. Not looking for a full sweep letter/email or petition, yet. We're still in the early days on this issue it looks like. Bottom line, conversion of part or all of kitebeach at Smathers in Key West to a nude beach with visual barriers is under consideration?! True enough. Not looking to pick a fight with the naturists just want to support this singular kiting spot in the USA and the decade long tradition of kiting there. There may be other places to construct one of these nude beach blinds but there is no other suitable launch for us along Smathers or anywhere else on Key West as proven through hard experience over the years.

So, again, don't start calling or emailing the City raising hell, yet. What I am looking for is this; short quotes about your times there, where you are from, your desire to check things out. I'm rapidly assembling a PowerPoint presentation today and could do with some choice quotes from past visitors about this excellent family destination for the pursuit of our eco-friendly sport and the like. Quotes from kiters or comments made to them by enthusiastic bystanders watching the fun would be helpful. Positive comments about Key West and times there during your visit would also be good. Greg Meintjes of Key West Kiteboarding is spreading the word for lower Keys kiters to show up and represent. Paul Menta of The Kitehouse asked me to come down to speak to the Commission and forwarded a video to present to them from out of the country yesterday.

Thanks and over to you ...

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 07-20-2009, 10:48 PM

Not sure if this is what you are looking for.

I am a loyal Florida resident. My wife and I really enjoy going to the keys and especially Key West. On my last visit, I brought my kite gear. While my wife enjoy the sun at Smathers Beach I was able to setup my gear at the far end of the beach. Did not get a chance to ride much that day because of the low wind. I was able to meet a value Key West resident Paul Menta. We would love to be able to come back to Key West to kite (for me), enjoy the sun (my wife) and send our hard earned money in Key West again. If kiting is not available in Key West, we might have to consider alternate location that can accommodate both of our needs. Good Luck
Old 07-21-2009, 03:39 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by linhster View Post
Not sure if this is what you are looking for.

I am a loyal Florida resident. My wife and I really enjoy going to the keys and especially Key West. On my last visit, I brought my kite gear. While my wife enjoy the sun at Smathers Beach I was able to setup my gear at the far end of the beach. Did not get a chance to ride much that day because of the low wind. I was able to meet a value Key West resident Paul Menta. We would love to be able to come back to Key West to kite (for me), enjoy the sun (my wife) and send our hard earned money in Key West again. If kiting is not available in Key West, we might have to consider alternate location that can accommodate both of our needs. Good Luck
Excellent! Thank you for writing, it should help the cause.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 07-21-2009, 09:12 AM

Here you go Rick;

My name is John Boone, I'm a Rhode Island resident. For the past 15+ years I've attended Key West Race Week in January. On my last three race weeks I've brought my kiteboarding gear and usally arrive early or stay extra days to kiteboard depending on the wind/weather forecast. Kiteboarding is very popular with the yachting crews and many of us look fwd to race and kiteboarding the warm winds and water of KW, if there is no access we will certainly go somewhere else like Jupiter where kiteboarding is fully accepted and access is plentyfull plus they like KW have fine resturants, house rentals and good sportfishing also.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:58 PM

Default thank you Rick

This is just a thank you to everyone who came to the meeting and especialy Rick who even though was just recovering from Larangitis , drove four and a half hours to do the presentation and then had to drive all the way home afterwards, not many people have this much passion and dedication for our sport and it is appreciated.

Greg
Old 07-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Double those thanks and particularly to you Greg for following this issue so closely. Great bunch of guys down there. Just stopped off for a dinner break on the way home. I suspect this issue may move forward a bit further, not sure it will make it to a public vote though. I am feeling better than I have all week fortunately, last Tuesday I would have been cutting zzz's and dealing interesting fever delusions (is this the Bahamas?) instead of driving for sure.

More about the issue in:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/top-...y/1148805.html
http://keysnews.com/node/15240

Paul, Greg and the guys are on this in the Keys and may need our help and support depending on how things evolve. I'll try to put up a video of the presentation, it is really short. Good thing!

Take care you your access wherever you ride. You never know what might prompt its dissappearing. Nudists though, now that is one out of left field.

Have fun down there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg meintjes View Post
This is just a thank you to everyone who came to the meeting and especialy Rick who even though was just recovering from Larangitis , drove four and a half hours to do the presentation and then had to drive all the way home afterwards, not many people have this much passion and dedication for our sport and it is appreciated.

Greg

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 07-21-2009, 11:15 PM

Default From Argentina

I´m from Argentina, I kite for the last 5 years. I have familly in Miami and every year with my wife and kid fly from here to miami to visit them and we always go to key West and stop at this beach. Is like tradition for us. I hope my post helps. Sorry my english. Thanks
Old 07-23-2009, 12:06 AM

Hey Rick - what was your take on the meeting in Key West?

Frank
Old 07-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I appreciate your comments John, good perspective. Thank you Gonzoski, much appreciated and your English is quite good!

Frank, I got the impression it was an opening round in things. To be continued in some form. I think we did what we came to do but suspect there will be more needed at some point.

There is a lot of behind the scenes activity on this one. They even carried the topic on the Weather Channel this am? They indicated that popular support on the island was not in favor of a nude beach there. What have you heard?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 07-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

The following is the video version of the PowerPoint presentation given to the City of Key West Commission on July 21, 2009 by the FKA, less narration (and technical glitches!). It includes Paul Menta's video comments transmitted via the Internet from South America. I've tried to get the video transcript of the actual presentation rebroadcasts through the City website but no joy on that yet. If I succeed in finding it I will put it up on here.

Big thanks to Paul of The Kitehouse, Greg of Key West Kiteboarding and all the local kiters that turned out to represent our sport in continued access to Smathers Beach. Also thanks to Kent with ASM for providing some useful statistics.

The fight may not be over on this, it may have only started. Or, we may be real lucky and it may never really get going. Thank you for the quotes, most arrived after I left for KW to give the presentation but may be used in the next go round on this issue. Time will tell, stay tuned and would appreciate your support if and when the need arises.

Thanks!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi