FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 10-23-2008, 11:45 AM

Default Huge SUP!

I got an email last week from my friend Garrett McNamara back in Hawaii. I just had to share his email. Unreal!! Garrett was one of the pioneers of Tow-In Surfing too, always going huge. Here is some of his surfing vids http://www.garrettmcnamara.com/videos.htm

Aloha,

Thank God I'm finally home after more than a month on the road. It's
so nice to spend time with my wife and kids. If you want to know what
I've been up to, check out this interview by jim-Browskee from B-Ware
below. He dug deep. I think you'll like it!

http://bwareville.wordpress.com/2008...ive-interview/

Old 10-23-2008, 04:29 PM
Can't Re-member

actually that looks like a smaller SUP, 9' 6" maybe? still , awesome wave!
Old 10-23-2008, 11:35 PM
kitekristrudo

Old men surfing with crutches.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitekristrudo View Post
Old men surfing with crutches.
you should try SUP surfing sometime, give it a shot in some waves 1/2, or even 1/3 that size. I imagine you will be in for a very humbling experience, if you make it to the lineup.

That wave is SICK!!! that takes serious nads to charge like that on a SUP. I got my ass handed to me when it was only chest highops:
Old 10-25-2008, 07:15 PM

Chad is alive!!!!!
Old 10-26-2008, 07:12 PM
kitekristrudo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad085 View Post
you should try SUP surfing sometime, give it a shot in some waves 1/2, or even 1/3 that size. I imagine you will be in for a very humbling experience, if you make it to the lineup.
Incorrect, Epic fail.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitekristrudo View Post
Incorrect, Epic fail.
???? Not sure who this is, but I haven't read anything positive from you on this forum. Why knock someone else if it has absolutely nothing to do with you? Even though many of us bat heads on the forum, we are mostly pretty happy people who like to have fun at the beach. If something bad happened, we'd all be there in a heartbeat for one another. I'm not getting those vibes from you and its unfortunate. We don't need any more negative nancy's in our community.

Think SUP is old men with crutches? matt sexton (age 22 or 23) just paddled 28 miles around manhatten for a charity event. That is quite an athletic feat for anyone.

try and use your time and thoughts to better our kiting community instead of finding fault with everyone and their efforts please.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:08 PM
kitekristrudo

Well. Assuming that I have not surfed in big waves just because I am a girl is just wrong. I grew up near Carlsbad beach, CA and have surfed most of my life before i moved to this flat state. Paddle boarding 28 miles is respectable but that has nothing to do with surfing.

Quote:
y and use your time and thoughts to better our kiting community instead of finding fault with everyone and their efforts please.
I was referring to paddle boarding not kiting. Is that a kite surfer in that picture? I think not. Go be web nazi somewhere else please.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:28 AM

Default Sup

SUP is very hard to do, and is a blast in small waves. I learned and surfed in Hawaii for many years. I have ridden the real waves in Hawaii, and have to say SUP is not a old man's version of surfing. Heck you have Laird out there catching 20 foot waves out there on a SUP. That is FREAKING HARD TO DO! It's much easier to catch that kind of wave with a regular surfboard.

I will have to say that the waves in Florida are not that great but then again some of the best surfers in the world come from Florida. So yeah it's a flat state, but without this flat state you would never have Kelly Slater, Corey Lopez, Yancey Spencer, etc. So it can't be that flat.

Awesome picture Chris!

RS
Old 10-27-2008, 09:44 AM

Florida isnt flat. If it is, then why so many surf shops and so many great surfers.

Maybe your just too lazy to go find waves or simply want to come up with an excuse because your too lazy to look. A friend of mine that lives in Cocoa surfs all the time. I know that Panhandle can get pretty epic most of the winter and during hurricane season.

I have surfed all over the world searching for waves....and sometimes the best ones are right here in Florida.....and the best surfers call Florida home.

Go take your negativity elsewhere. It's not welcome here.