FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-21-2007, 10:17 AM

Yeah I almost got knocked out cold by one of cindy/randys friends last night at the skyway. Guy was only 20 yards upwind of me (we were the only two kiters on the water b/c sun was going down), and decided to boost. Well he came directly at me like a damn ninja with his board pointed at me and, luckily, landed about 7ft upwind of me. It amazed me that he was surprised how far downwind he ended up after the jump. Tried explaining to me that he picks up speed so he can jump and continue in the same direction. I'm thinking...."WTF??!! It doesn't work like that!" So I tell him you're always going to go downwind during a jump. Doubt he listened. I also noticed quite a few other newbies out there. My take on the situation is this.....

You guys won't see me down there again....unless it's a night ride. My first time riding skyway really showed me what a f-kin zoo that place is and makes me appreciate my own riding spots. I like the riding area very much but there's way too many people there. I see the inherent dangers that exist, but feel very comfortable navigating through them. I don't feel comfortable with so many noobies out there, considering the fact that I almost got sent to the hospital and another noob DID get sent. How is it that they received instruction and don't know wtf they are doing??? I also didn't care too much for the vibe out there. A few nice people for sure. More than a few with the "my kite's bigger than yours ego" that I don't care for. Reminds me of surfing. So now a big problem exists. Lessons are being taught at the skyway and the new students are learning to ride there after the lessons. New riders will make mistakes. SW isn't a spot to make mistakes. Inevitably, it's going to get shut down b/c of riders like these and EB is gonna get all the spillover. So what's next? East beach is where those lessons/mistakes should be taking place. It's a much more foregiving area. WSW goes out of there way to teach in very safe environments and tells there students NOT TO RIDE THE SKYWAY. I wish the rest would do the same. I consider any new rider at the skyway a "cowboy." It took me since november to build my skills enough that I would consider venturing out there for the first time. Well, not again. I really appreciate my riding areas now and the people who I ride with regularly. my .02knots

-sean
Old 08-21-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby wilson View Post
Don't worry Scott, it wasn't one of my Skywalkers this guy was riding...
Don't take it the wrong way toby, but that guy I spoke of WAS on one of your lightwind skywalkers.....i was on the other of course.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno View Post
no offense, but those who are actual "grown-ups" will understand that we do have to take responsibility for others not just ourselves if we want to continue to have some of the best riding locations around...
anybody can take responsibility for themselves, thats easy... but more respect to those who are man enough to take responsibility for others...

(my 2 cents)
You are confusing a figure of authority with an adult.

EDIT: Not to mention that your reasoning for looking out for others is nothing but egotistical.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBay Noob View Post
Don't take it the wrong way toby, but that guy I spoke of WAS on one of your lightwind skywalkers.....i was on the other of course.

Not taken in a bad way Sean. We all make mistakes and it sounds like the rider you are referring to was a proficient enough rider to be jumping...I was referring to the guy that got hurt...and in my opinion YOU are more than ready for riding the Skyway. To avoid out of control kooks, just ride upwind of them my friend.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:40 AM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
Who launched him? I'm not pointing a finger at you Raul
I have no clue, I was way upwind ( where its safe ) . in fact I didn't launch a single kite for anybody yesterday
Old 08-21-2007, 10:48 AM

jesus christ some of you take this a bit too personal.

chill
the
fu*k
out.

fact is there a tons of new riders.. and some of the responsibility lies on the shoulders of us seasoned riders to be on the look out and make the call to talk to them.

we all know the skyway is a shithole for learning and yesterdays accident has been brewing for a long while.. maybe seeing a guy carried out on a stretcher will smack some much needed reality into the minds of the others trying to push themselves into the sport.

maybe we should hire a quadriplegic to sit on the beach in a wheelchair with a big fat sign reading "look what kiteboarding without lessons did for me!"

Seriously tho.. this back and forth pre-school bickering is ridiculous and needs to stop. Its pathetic.

when i am on the beach, I promise to do my best to keep an eye out for those that need help. I will do all i can to stop potential accidents from happening.. its the best I can to assist with the problem.

when i am not on the beach i hope that others will make the same promise and be as professional with the folks they are trying to help as possible.

No one can do more than that except beyond banning the sport in certain areas.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 08-21-2007, 10:48 AM

Well I just spoke with Erick on the phone and he said that this guy was proficient on his water start, cruising, etc. I apologize Raul if you felt I was insinuating that you launched him. I am guessing this guy had some kind of gear failure and was looking for an advanced lesson. I edited my earlier post as well my friend.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:41 AM
<jason

Lightbulb here's the thing....

Im new at this about 6months took lessons from my old man(kiting 7 years) and Graham Goodwin(lauderdale kitesurfing).been surfing/windsurfing 20 years, this is a whole diffrent animal. I would not kite at the SW simply because of what you have said on here, and im not stupid! But not everyone is on here. Lack of information to the new riders. This is where you live and ride and if you think someone is doing something that could get them or somone else hurt.....than f--kin say something, you dont have to be a dick about it. If an experienced rider said something to me (and wasnt a dick about it, like " hey new guy you know what your doing") i would think twice about what i was doing. This will not curb everything but you have to try! And also tell people about this forum like Chris Moore told me.....

Although just a suggestion...
Old 08-21-2007, 11:55 AM

I spent the day at East Beach yesterday. Hotter than hell I might add. Did do a lesson early in the morning. Only one rider out there to deal with.

I don't plan to solve the world's problems here, but I do want to say this. I don't teach at the skyway, and I don't teach even at East Beach on the weekend, or a crowded weekday. I definately make the effort to drop a boat in the water and go elsewhere to keep it safe for students and riders alike. It is not convenient, but the positives far outweigh the negative. After walking through the muck yesterday morning during my lesson, I realized how spoiled I am teaching on firm sandy bottoms up north county. I think my last lesson down in the St. Pete area may have just been completed.

I also want everyone to know that we put each student through a very informative and intense 2 hour class at the shop going over all kiting theory, dangers, protocal, weather, terms, rules of the road, and really hark on how to venture into the sport especially before and after lessons. That's 2 hours of info before they even fly a kite. This is where I see alot of problems occuring. EDUCATING STUDENTS ON WHAT TO DO BEFORE AND AFTER LESSONS. I have put together a very thorough 40 page packet and ride guide of the entire Tampa Bay area analyzing each spot. We go over the guide in detail. I also point out the hazards or riding the Skyway area, and many other areas, and that beginners should not even think about going to these places until they can stay upwind and have solid control. I do promote East Beach on less crowded days as being there best place on Easterlies and using the specific places in the Gulf on westerlies. IMO those two places are the ONLY places newbies should go to get there skills up before venturing to other spots. I could go into more detail, but you get the idea.

Finally, I am purchasing an even larger boat to handle more students and instructors for the 07/08 season. The goal is to keep it safe for everyone. 100% of our teaching will occur behind the scenes if you will and out of your way. I believe strongly in this.

I am very proud of the program I have put together at the shop, I couldn't imagine doing it any other way. I took alot of heat when I signed on to teach this sport, but I think many are beginning to see the light and just how serious I am taking this responsibility.

If you support the vision of this program then support us into some very interesting times for all. It's all about keeping it safe.

Steve-O

ps. Toby....I have only taught 4-5 lessons this entire summer. 15mph or more=excellent lesson conditions....you do the math.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:00 PM

Agreed. I think that's the way all lessons should be done. Away from everyone. The skyway is a mess.