FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > KITEBOARDING AT ... launches, precautions, SCHOOLS, SHOPS, meets, local groups and more > Northwest Florida
Connect with Facebook

Old 11-25-2004, 05:01 PM

Default Any interest in this?

I have been unable to locate any sort of organised group of boarders in Pensacola. If there is one can someone point me in the direction of contacting them?

If not.

As someone who has organised groups in the past, I am curious if there is any interest in starting up a Pensacola area website and group. I have a hosting company and do web development as a side hobby to the day job.
I am just getting started and would love to facilitate bringing people in the Pensacola area together. I must admit I have a self motivated reason for doing this as I need contact with experienced boarders in the area.

Thanks
Old 11-25-2004, 05:01 PM

Default Any interest in this?

I have been unable to locate any sort of organised group of boarders in Pensacola. If there is one can someone point me in the direction of contacting them?

If not.

As someone who has organised groups in the past, I am curious if there is any interest in starting up a Pensacola area website and group. I have a hosting company and do web development as a side hobby to the day job.
I am just getting started and would love to facilitate bringing people in the Pensacola area together. I must admit I have a self motivated reason for doing this as I need contact with experienced boarders in the area.

Thanks
Old 12-16-2004, 01:50 PM

If there is wind you will prabably see a kite at Pensacola Beach either on the sound side or in the Gulf. There is a small group of kiters who have access to wide open beaches, once they open back up.

For the most part the Kite community has been small and trouble free compared to other areas, and all the riders like their time on the water but do assist others when they see an unknown kiter. All they ask is that you think and keep safety #1. They have already lost miles of beach to Ivan and don't want to loose what little is left to kite bans.

Think about your safety and the safety of those around you.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:50 PM

If there is wind you will prabably see a kite at Pensacola Beach either on the sound side or in the Gulf. There is a small group of kiters who have access to wide open beaches, once they open back up.

For the most part the Kite community has been small and trouble free compared to other areas, and all the riders like their time on the water but do assist others when they see an unknown kiter. All they ask is that you think and keep safety #1. They have already lost miles of beach to Ivan and don't want to loose what little is left to kite bans.

Think about your safety and the safety of those around you.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:36 PM

How'y'r doing Str8up,

Agree that safety and ban prevention go together.

Last year we had some guys from Pensacola visiting FWB say during a friendly discussion, "we don't use leashes anymore".

This was a year ago, so maybe the attitude has changed?

Where do you guys go in strong NW? I'm waiting for Sunday NW25-30.
Leeside can be really bad with anything W in it. As long as it doesn't go WNW, We'll be OK but marginal. DAMN! why can't we get a good N or NE?

BTW, Leeside has NEW sand! The state park people (from Pensacola )
set up a huge dredge and piped in a huge sand bar. Now we have a nice sandy spot almost as good as the Gulf side!

Hey TJ, if you make it to FWB Leeside park this weekend, look for the guy wearing a black helmet, I'll help you check rigging and get started.
- Dix
Old 12-16-2004, 06:36 PM

How'y'r doing Str8up,

Agree that safety and ban prevention go together.

Last year we had some guys from Pensacola visiting FWB say during a friendly discussion, "we don't use leashes anymore".

This was a year ago, so maybe the attitude has changed?

Where do you guys go in strong NW? I'm waiting for Sunday NW25-30.
Leeside can be really bad with anything W in it. As long as it doesn't go WNW, We'll be OK but marginal. DAMN! why can't we get a good N or NE?

BTW, Leeside has NEW sand! The state park people (from Pensacola )
set up a huge dredge and piped in a huge sand bar. Now we have a nice sandy spot almost as good as the Gulf side!

Hey TJ, if you make it to FWB Leeside park this weekend, look for the guy wearing a black helmet, I'll help you check rigging and get started.
- Dix
Old 12-16-2004, 06:42 PM

You have no idea how happy that would make me.
I have not moved yet. Still living in Nawlins.

I have a lot to learn and purchase before I reach that point.
It is very good to hear that there is activity there.

What I need to do first is make the transition from team stunt kites to Surfboarding trainer kites. Then make plans for my lessons

What kind of trainer would you recomend?
Old 12-16-2004, 06:42 PM

You have no idea how happy that would make me.
I have not moved yet. Still living in Nawlins.

I have a lot to learn and purchase before I reach that point.
It is very good to hear that there is activity there.

What I need to do first is make the transition from team stunt kites to Surfboarding trainer kites. Then make plans for my lessons

Old 12-16-2004, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay
TJay, this is only my unqualified opinion and I invite all criticism on this,

Look up some used kite sales sites for example, iWindsurf has a very good listing. Link to iWindsurf used kites Suggest you start with a 12-14m LEI to start with. Then depending on your weight, start with at least a 185cm (6') twin tip (TT) big wake board type, or if your'e 200lbs and up, a 7-8' directional, surfboard design will keep you going in lighter wind conditions. (for example, my boards range from 7' converted wave sailboard down to a 135cm wake style board. The 135 is the most fun, but unfortunatly, we don't have consistant enough conditions to use it all the time, so I get by with a 143cm, 185cm, and the big directional in lighter winds.

As a beginer preparing to get in the water learning to get the board planing, a safe combination is usually a big board and small kite.
Some may say, start with your hair on fire with big kite and small board, but I disagree. Yes, you'll progress to a big kite and small board, but it doesn't hurt to keep that small kite for nukin' conditions when you've got some experience.

Just so you know, as soon as you get going, you'll hate that little kite and want more power! That is the sign that you're on the downward slope of Kitesurf addition! :lol: As I said, when you move to that bigger kite, keep that little one stashed away for those rare 20-30mph days. You'll thank me for this advice, I promise.

Well, any comments from the peanut gallery? Let er rip!
- Dix
Old 12-16-2004, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay
TJay, this is only my unqualified opinion and I invite all criticism on this,

Look up some used kite sales sites for example, iWindsurf has a very good listing. Link to iWindsurf used kites Suggest you start with a 12-14m LEI to start with. Then depending on your weight, start with at least a 185cm (6') twin tip (TT) big wake board type, or if your'e 200lbs and up, a 7-8' directional, surfboard design will keep you going in lighter wind conditions. (for example, my boards range from 7' converted wave sailboard down to a 135cm wake style board. The 135 is the most fun, but unfortunatly, we don't have consistant enough conditions to use it all the time, so I get by with a 143cm, 185cm, and the big directional in lighter winds.

As a beginer preparing to get in the water learning to get the board planing, a safe combination is usually a big board and small kite.
Some may say, start with your hair on fire with big kite and small board, but I disagree. Yes, you'll progress to a big kite and small board, but it doesn't hurt to keep that small kite for nukin' conditions when you've got some experience.

Just so you know, as soon as you get going, you'll hate that little kite and want more power! That is the sign that you're on the downward slope of Kitesurf addition! :lol: As I said, when you move to that bigger kite, keep that little one stashed away for those rare 20-30mph days. You'll thank me for this advice, I promise.

Well, any comments from the peanut gallery? Let er rip!
- Dix