FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 09-07-2005, 08:24 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitor souto
another site is closed to kite, 87 st surfside
I checked and 87 St. is under Miami Beach jurisdiction not Surfside. Neither of the Police Departments contacts that I briefly spoke to were aware of any new regs regarding kiteboarding. Someone told me that the police told the kiteboarders to leave.

Can you provide any additional info, contact info for guys that were there?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 09-07-2005, 08:24 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitor souto
another site is closed to kite, 87 st surfside
I checked and 87 St. is under Miami Beach jurisdiction not Surfside. Neither of the Police Departments contacts that I briefly spoke to were aware of any new regs regarding kiteboarding. Someone told me that the police told the kiteboarders to leave.

Can you provide any additional info, contact info for guys that were there?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 09-07-2005, 08:54 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris
Rick,
I read the article in the New Times and found it pretty balanced. I do know that there are errors in the article but that’s only because of what learned from your site over the last two years. From what I read, I saw the dangers and the fun. The need to take proper instruction was clearly noted and the use of the right equipment and most important the need to be stupid out there.
All in all it was not a negative report. “At least for the New Times that is”

I’m still a newbie and am looking forward to this season but now I’m concerned with the possible added traffic due to that article. You know like in surfing’s “pre-Gidget and post-Gidget eras. I hope to get my full instruction and gear so I can really take advantage of the winds this season.

I do have to point out that this website should be required reading for anyone wanting to start. FKSA has been and will still be a learning tool for me.
Thanks for your input. Talking with some of the folks that were interviewed, it sounds like there comments were printed out of context in some cases. The writer was working on a "sensation" tabloid piece with factual content apparently of low importance.

It remains to be seen what damage may arise from the article to access. I don't know if the expulsion at 87 St. is related or not. I have yet to be able to speak with folks in Crandon Park management regarding their take on things.

Thanks for your support. The FKA is about sustainable responsible kiteboarding and maintained access. Hopefully, this will blow over.

IF not, would Miami-Dade riders like to organize to work a bit harder at maintaining access?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 09-07-2005, 08:54 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris
Rick,
I read the article in the New Times and found it pretty balanced. I do know that there are errors in the article but that’s only because of what learned from your site over the last two years. From what I read, I saw the dangers and the fun. The need to take proper instruction was clearly noted and the use of the right equipment and most important the need to be stupid out there.
All in all it was not a negative report. “At least for the New Times that is”

I’m still a newbie and am looking forward to this season but now I’m concerned with the possible added traffic due to that article. You know like in surfing’s “pre-Gidget and post-Gidget eras. I hope to get my full instruction and gear so I can really take advantage of the winds this season.

I do have to point out that this website should be required reading for anyone wanting to start. FKSA has been and will still be a learning tool for me.
Thanks for your input. Talking with some of the folks that were interviewed, it sounds like there comments were printed out of context in some cases. The writer was working on a "sensation" tabloid piece with factual content apparently of low importance.

It remains to be seen what damage may arise from the article to access. I don't know if the expulsion at 87 St. is related or not. I have yet to be able to speak with folks in Crandon Park management regarding their take on things.

Thanks for your support. The FKA is about sustainable responsible kiteboarding and maintained access. Hopefully, this will blow over.

IF not, would Miami-Dade riders like to organize to work a bit harder at maintaining access?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 09-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I just spoke with Manny the manager at Crandon Park. The Parks Department is heavily involved with Hurricane Katrina cleanup at present and doesn't have a lot of time to deal with kiteboarding access isssues for now. They may respond in a couple of months, maybe.

I asked him what we could do on a proactive basis to work to improve access in the interim. He advised NOT to contact the parks department and see how things go. All things considered it makes sense to me. He also advised that it would be a bad idea to pursue teaching permits for kiteboarding currently given the state of things and the negative aspects of the article.

I wouldn't get in touch with New Times regarding their article either. I don't think they are that concerned about a fair and accurate portrayal of our sport. Nothing that we can say will likely change their outlook on that.

In addition to that, I would say we need to work hard to avoid ANY more negative incidents or accidents in Miami-Dade County, or anywhere else for that matter. ANY negative events like this will only serve to threaten our access. So please try to head off poor practices at your launch as tactfully and effectively as you can.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 09-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I just spoke with Manny the manager at Crandon Park. The Parks Department is heavily involved with Hurricane Katrina cleanup at present and doesn't have a lot of time to deal with kiteboarding access isssues for now. They may respond in a couple of months, maybe.

I asked him what we could do on a proactive basis to work to improve access in the interim. He advised NOT to contact the parks department and see how things go. All things considered it makes sense to me. He also advised that it would be a bad idea to pursue teaching permits for kiteboarding currently given the state of things and the negative aspects of the article.

I wouldn't get in touch with New Times regarding their article either. I don't think they are that concerned about a fair and accurate portrayal of our sport. Nothing that we can say will likely change their outlook on that.

In addition to that, I would say we need to work hard to avoid ANY more negative incidents or accidents in Miami-Dade County, or anywhere else for that matter. ANY negative events like this will only serve to threaten our access. So please try to head off poor practices at your launch as tactfully and effectively as you can.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 09-07-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Miami News wrong article

What an accumulation of gossips and a complete lack of proffesional reporting on our new sport that has much more to talk about than just accidents!

I post my answer to the author of this article just to make sure that we will all continue to concentrate on safety and fun and will avoid any innecesary risk taking or any crazy attitude. In today News/entertainment world, bad news and gossips seem to work much better than joy and good feelings. So sad

Dear Kirk Nielsen

I have recently read your four pages article about “Kite surfing” and cannot believe what you wrote! Your article does not portray at all what Kite surfing is, or what Kite surfers feel, or worst than that, what this great new sport represents. Your article is mainly the descriptive accumulation of unfortunate events and sporadic accidents that might have happened in the past, but that certainly cannot describe or explain our sport. Accidents are just part of any sport activities and I can assure you that in my many, many years riding in Florida (believe or not, without any accident) I have witness a quite small ratio of accidents compared to the unprecedented growing number of people practicing this wonderful sport.

In my many years leaving in Florida, enjoying beach areas or beach paths, I have whiteness thousand of bad accidents in many other sports such as soccer, bicycle or roller blade but I have never read any article about “Crazy Dudes” and the danger of these sports. In Kite surfing like in many other sports, I agree 100% with what Mr. Marinkovic confession regarding Kite risks and accidents: “overconfidence”, “show off”, “It was a bonehead move”

Now, your article, completely lack of the basic knowledge of what Kite surfing represents and the opinions expressed by Mr. Christophe Ribot certainly do not represent what our kiting community think or feel. In recent years, Mr. Ribot developed a commercial activity around Kite surfing and its extended description of unfortunate events mainly portrays his personal opinions or experiences. Mr. Ribot opinions regarding the future of the kite surfing in Miami and/or its overall advise of kiting in other countries, and/or its personal opinion of any commercial competitors such as Mr. Escudero (that by the way, has also gone through a lot of sacrifice in his life to develop and defend our sport) are truly not relevant at all for the sport.

Finally, the most disturbing part of your article is that you completely passed along the joy, positiveness and benefits of Kite Surfing. You complete passed along the seriousness of the sport and the professionalism of most of the Floridian Kiters. We are not dudes or crazy people as you wrongly express in your article, but people who love, respect and care about other people, about nature, sea, beach, landscapes, etc… We are sea lovers and for the most part of us also surfers and wind surfers. To be more precise, the large majority of us are not only serious sport people but also parents, successful entrepreneur, or successful executives of leading US corporations and I can assure you that our understanding of risks versus Kite surfing pleasures is truly balanced. We are not “Crazy Dudes” but people who prefer sport, family, friends and nature rather than many activities related to cheap sex and booze so well promoted in your magazine!

I truly hope that next time you write about a new sport, you will have the decency and time to do serious research instead of expressing simple gossips!

Xavier Aristimuno
Old 09-07-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Miami News wrong article

What an accumulation of gossips and a complete lack of proffesional reporting on our new sport that has much more to talk about than just accidents!

I post my answer to the author of this article just to make sure that we will all continue to concentrate on safety and fun and will avoid any innecesary risk taking or any crazy attitude. In today News/entertainment world, bad news and gossips seem to work much better than joy and good feelings. So sad

Dear Kirk Nielsen

I have recently read your four pages article about “Kite surfing” and cannot believe what you wrote! Your article does not portray at all what Kite surfing is, or what Kite surfers feel, or worst than that, what this great new sport represents. Your article is mainly the descriptive accumulation of unfortunate events and sporadic accidents that might have happened in the past, but that certainly cannot describe or explain our sport. Accidents are just part of any sport activities and I can assure you that in my many, many years riding in Florida (believe or not, without any accident) I have witness a quite small ratio of accidents compared to the unprecedented growing number of people practicing this wonderful sport.

In my many years leaving in Florida, enjoying beach areas or beach paths, I have whiteness thousand of bad accidents in many other sports such as soccer, bicycle or roller blade but I have never read any article about “Crazy Dudes” and the danger of these sports. In Kite surfing like in many other sports, I agree 100% with what Mr. Marinkovic confession regarding Kite risks and accidents: “overconfidence”, “show off”, “It was a bonehead move”

Now, your article, completely lack of the basic knowledge of what Kite surfing represents and the opinions expressed by Mr. Christophe Ribot certainly do not represent what our kiting community think or feel. In recent years, Mr. Ribot developed a commercial activity around Kite surfing and its extended description of unfortunate events mainly portrays his personal opinions or experiences. Mr. Ribot opinions regarding the future of the kite surfing in Miami and/or its overall advise of kiting in other countries, and/or its personal opinion of any commercial competitors such as Mr. Escudero (that by the way, has also gone through a lot of sacrifice in his life to develop and defend our sport) are truly not relevant at all for the sport.

Finally, the most disturbing part of your article is that you completely passed along the joy, positiveness and benefits of Kite Surfing. You complete passed along the seriousness of the sport and the professionalism of most of the Floridian Kiters. We are not dudes or crazy people as you wrongly express in your article, but people who love, respect and care about other people, about nature, sea, beach, landscapes, etc… We are sea lovers and for the most part of us also surfers and wind surfers. To be more precise, the large majority of us are not only serious sport people but also parents, successful entrepreneur, or successful executives of leading US corporations and I can assure you that our understanding of risks versus Kite surfing pleasures is truly balanced. We are not “Crazy Dudes” but people who prefer sport, family, friends and nature rather than many activities related to cheap sex and booze so well promoted in your magazine!

I truly hope that next time you write about a new sport, you will have the decency and time to do serious research instead of expressing simple gossips!

Xavier Aristimuno
Old 09-07-2005, 05:05 PM

I completely agree with Xavier's post. Although the article contains a half decent account of the history of the sport in SOFLA its amazing how they could fill pages and pages and completely miss the essence of the sport. It would be so easy to write all of those pages of how great the sport is and then just spend sometime in the danger and safety needs of the sport. But no the New Times just decides to take this negative view of a great sport and pepper the article with disconnected stories to drive this point. Sad ... very sad
Old 09-07-2005, 05:05 PM

I completely agree with Xavier's post. Although the article contains a half decent account of the history of the sport in SOFLA its amazing how they could fill pages and pages and completely miss the essence of the sport. It would be so easy to write all of those pages of how great the sport is and then just spend sometime in the danger and safety needs of the sport. But no the New Times just decides to take this negative view of a great sport and pepper the article with disconnected stories to drive this point. Sad ... very sad