FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 04-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Strong wind out of nowhere?

I was swamped and distracted at the office and completely missed the ramping up of good wind during the afternoon. Wasn't able to hit the beach until about 6:30 pm. Still got some time in, about 45 minutes of nice boosting, until the wind shifted side off and went way down in speed. It was still in the mid to high 20's for a while, mighty fine and unforecast. Who else got some today?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-24-2008, 03:55 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI View Post
I was swamped and distracted at the office and completely missed the ramping up of good wind during the afternoon. Wasn't able to hit the beach until about 6:30 pm. Still got some time in, about 45 minutes of nice boosting, until the wind shifted side off and went way down in speed. It was still in the mid to high 20's for a while, mighty fine and unforecast. Who else got some today?
Might happen again later on today, we'll see. I think thermals were involved yesterday perhaps. The wind did shift offshore and die off pretty fast approaching sunset.

TODAY
NORTHEAST AROUND 15 KNOTS. SEAS 4 TO 6 FEET NEAR SHORE
AND UP TO 6 TO 8 FEET IN THE GULF STREAM. NORTHEAST SWELL 2 TO
4 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. ISOLATED SHOWERS.

TONIGHT
NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS BECOMING EAST 10 TO
15 KNOTS AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS 4 TO 6 FEET. NORTHEAST SWELL 2 TO
4 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS. SLIGHT CHANCE
OF SHOWERS AFTER MIDNIGHT.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-24-2008, 07:22 AM

Yes. Great unexpected wind. Really few people out there (North Miami Beach). I was lit on 15M.

Rick, where do you get this forecast you copied and pasted from?

Tony
Old 04-24-2008, 07:54 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hey Tony,

It is the NWS marine forecast which has been the most reliable in my experience for SE Florida. That doesn't mean it isn't ever wrong as it frequently is. Thermal winds are often poorly forecast if mentioned at all. NWS is closer to what transpires more of the time than other sites I have looked at.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mfl/

A good routine to go through anytime you want to head out kiting appears at: http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=456

Quote:
Reposted from kiteforum:

In South Florida, it doesn't get much better than Noaa for forecast sites. They do have a tendency to inflate the predicted wind by about 5 kts. or so. They frequently fail to predict when useable thermal winds come on in the warmer months. Overall though, they have become much more accurate over the last few years.

In the cooler months with frontal winds, I normally go through the following checks in weather/wind planning:

1. Check the marine forecast at: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mfl/
Just click the coastal area off your launch. Be sure to read the analysis at the top that explains what is bringing the wind.

2. If the wind is to arrive with a cold front sweeping in, is there a squall line at the leading edge of the front and are winds spiking dangerously up weather? Or are things just bumping up nicely for some stronger, steady winds? NOTE: are there any weather hazards reported? These are becoming more accurate I have noticed but they still don't catch all the unstable weather, everywhere, at: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mfl/severe.php

HINT: If there is a squall line at the leading edge, take the trouble to not be riding when it sweeps through. It normally passes in a couple of hours. For support for this idea checkout THIS LINK

Checkout realtime winds at http://www.ikitesurf.com/windandwher...hicalAreaID=14

Are the winds spiking and rapidly changing direction upweather or up the coast in the area where the leading edge of the front is sweeping in?

Alternatively, is the wind boosting nicely into a rideable windspeed range?

If wind is moving in, you might get some insight by checking out the novel weatherflow graphics newly introduced to ikitesurf. This is some powerful modeling! CLICK HERE The weather flow graphic and forecast maps will give you a feel for how the winds are moving in and may even talk you into a road trip to catch some stronger winds.

TIP: Don't just look at one anemometer station near your launch, look for trends in other stations that may suggest what may be coming your way.

3. Checkout the radar to see that there aren't storm cells in your area or moving in at: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/loop/D.../si.kamx.shtml

4. If there is nothing going on currently, which happens to be the case in SE Florida tonight, what is moving in? You could always checkout the national front map for some ideas about coming trends at: http://nws.noaa.gov/outlook_tab.php

Keep your eyes open for trends while you are out riding, white water/ripple lines moving in, cloud lines, etc..

There is a lot more to this of course but this is a quick look at some ideas for the cooler months. Warm weather planning is a bit different.

Knowing what to look for and what to avoid in weather planning are simple imperatives for anyone serious about kiteboarding. Trusting to dumb luck for good wind and avoiding dangerous weather is just that ... dumb!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-24-2008, 10:27 AM

I actually happened to catch some of that at 6:30 as well. Was out until 8pm in crandon. Finally got to break in the new gear. It was great. Except for the part about me not being able to get up until my third try. Once i was up i rode out about 100yds. Need to learn how to switch my heading though. I slowed down too much and sunk with the board. Then had a hard time getting back up in deep water. But it was a blast. Im hoping to catch some of that wind today as well. It was blowing 15 this morning. Hope the afternoon is good.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Glad you got out. I spoke to Kent, sounds like he had a great sunset in Miami last night. I had a great one around the same time in the waves further north. I had to retune my kite for less power three times! Can't remember the last time that happened. Hope some folks got out in daylight to enjoy things.

Question, will it go off again this afternoon???

maybe, let's hope so!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-25-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:

Question, will it go off again this afternoon???

maybe, let's hope so!

That would be nice, since my gears in the car. Possibly 3 days in a row
Old 04-25-2008, 01:27 PM

It's already blowing nicely here in North Miami!
Old 04-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHFLYN View Post
That would be nice, since my gears in the car. Possibly 3 days in a row
Welcome back, I thought you had moved out of town! Hope you make that third session tonight, me too!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-25-2008, 01:32 PM

I am gonna hit the flats again tomorrow, I hope this keeps up =-)