FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 06-19-2007, 07:04 PM

Default The Bahamas Kite Race ...2007?

Have not heard anything about it...no updates on the site...?
Old 06-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEsco48 View Post
Have not heard anything about it...no updates on the site...?
I just spoke to Neil about this and sadly there are no plans for another race anytime soon. It is all about liability and the lack of insurance to cover it for this sort of event. When Neil was laid up for six months with a severely fractured leg it gave him something to think about and work towards. He worked hard and pulled off this amazing event without any insurance. If something seriously had gone wrong his business and assets could have vanished along with prospects for a descent life. Neil said that if someone else is interested in organizing such an event he would provide lots of information and advice towards the effort.

Thanks Neil for making history, a particularly fun and challenging event among the many that you have created! You took a gamble to create this unique experience, well done and thanks again.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 06-21-2007 at 06:16 AM.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:05 PM

nooooooo....

we need to get some kiteboarding lawyer to make some type of extreme release of liability
Old 06-21-2007, 07:28 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEsco48 View Post
nooooooo....

we need to get some kiteboarding lawyer to make some type of extreme release of liability
Do you mean like this?

From a writeup about the original race at:
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=865

In our legal system, waivers are good, solid liability insurance is better sad to say.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 06-21-2007, 10:09 AM

If nobody officially organized the event, it was just discussed on forums, etc., there couldn't be any liability.

Simply determine a start date and location, everyone is responsible for their own support boats and lodgings in the Bahamas.

People on the fishing forums do this for trips to the Bahamas all the time and there is no "official" liability.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:31 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

There was substantial liability for the organizers. In our legal system it takes very little to get rowed aboard for litigation.

The logistics in such a crossing are huge. It couldn't or perhaps shouldn't be undertaken casually, i.e. a bunch of guys just doing it. For a handful, well equipped, funded and experienced, why not and have fun.

Doing this event for a bunch of guys with northerly winds with seas up to perhaps exceeding 15 ft. is dangerous. Not only for the riders but even for the support boats. Boats could be lost in such seas, whoops! Keeping track of everyone is essential, riders and boats. Even with just two riders per boat and 17 boats scattered across the Straits, keeping track of things as originally approached was infeasible. Line of sight VHF radios wouldn't maintain reliable contact between riders, support boats and the committee boat. A full scale USCG search could result with liability for the participants and any organizers that might be identified. Then there is general civil liability which I could go on about for quite a while but choose not to. Good thing.

This isn't a minor undertaking in any sense. There is a lot of risk for participants and organizers. If it could effectively be done as a casual get together you might be able to dodge some liability. In this case the organizational demands for reasonable safety and odds of successful completion take things beyond that approach in my opinion.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 06-22-2007, 05:06 PM

Rick- I put in Emails to First Flight insurance and IKO to see if this event (and others) would be covered. I will let you know what I find out ASAP. The info I reviewed doesnt say anything about special events or races, so it will be interesting to hear what they have to say.
I have also heard a rumor that IKO is going to offer school insurance in the USA. Maybe with a little friendly competition, FF will have to lower their rates!!!
Old 06-22-2007, 11:15 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevil Kenevil View Post
Rick- I put in Emails to First Flight insurance and IKO to see if this event (and others) would be covered. I will let you know what I find out ASAP. The info I reviewed doesnt say anything about special events or races, so it will be interesting to hear what they have to say.
I have also heard a rumor that IKO is going to offer school insurance in the USA. Maybe with a little friendly competition, FF will have to lower their rates!!!
Thanks, it will be interesting to hear what they have to say. I approached First Flight about this a couple of years ago and IKO last year. At the time FF wasn't interested in insuring events but perhaps that position has changed hope so. IKO was insured through Zurich, out of Europe not the USA at the time. I tried to arrange for event coverage through them. They claimed not to know what an additional insured was or to recognize the need for handing out insurance certificates to such parties. Only about 100,000 of these certificates get sent all over the USA daily by insurance companies I would imagine. At any event if Zurich/IKO come up with something useable it would be a very good thing. Fingers crossed on the outcome of your inquiry Stevil.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 06-25-2007, 09:21 PM

Rick- Here's what I got back from Clint at First Flight-
PASA instruction schools are covered for liability arising out of teaching activities. I believe I have discussed the coverage for an event such as this in the past. If a PASA school was involved, we would submit an event application to underwriters to obtain quotes for coverage. It may or may not be insurable depending on the specifics of the event.

And from Suedwestring-

Dear Steve,

I´m sorry but we can`t insure risks, and no races in USA...

For an offer for your school you have to contact IKO directly.

(Sounds like we need to find a kiteboardin' underwriter, huh?)

OR- We just hang it up and remember just how awesome this event was, and thank Neil for creating kiteboarding history(once again).Cheers, you crazy mutha!!!!
Old 06-26-2007, 01:09 PM

Does any one want to the the crossing anyways, maybe 2 boats 4 riders...not taken lightly.

or some nice long Miami to the keys down winder?