FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 01-30-2008, 03:48 PM

Yep, in a beginner's guide section. Eagle had a whole page on gear maintenance in the same issue.

Since we are talking about the "good old days" and everything:

Once upon a time, we could tell who was who and all knew each others names and skill levels, and who they took lessons from. Now, we have hundreds of kiters here, many instructors, and many new faces every day, its very hard to keep up. I believe that over the past few years, we have become too relaxed about safety,the learning curve/timeline, "cowboys", and kooks. Now it appears to be acceptable for inexperienced kiters to buy a kite (on the beach) and learn as they go, which only increases the risk factor. That's not healthy for the future of our sport, and we should all work together towards the common goal of safer launches, and making EVERY kiter self sufficient and confident in their abilities.
Becoming a kiter starts with LESSONS, not with a kite purchase.
Kite safe
Old 01-30-2008, 05:50 PM

That classic pic of Chris Moore looking gay at PAG with his new board is on there too, Chris and I were talking about that pic just yesterday!!! LOL!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 10:00 PM

As a new kiter, I've considered launch and landing the most sketchy times for an accident to occur, and the discussion about the accident at EB reinforced my ideas. I've really wondered if my kite went crazy on the launch would I have enough instinct to know what to do in that rapid fire couple of seconds. I know the topic of whether or not to launch hooked in or not always brings up lengthy debates, so I don't want to start that one. When I lauch, I do it hooked in, and take a couple glances at my QR so I know where to grab. My leash is hooked into the ring under my bar(Best bar), the way I was taught by my instructor. Obviously with that setup, my option would be to let go of the bar and pull the QR. My question is: would it be wiser(especially as a newb) to attach the leash to the O-S webbing that way the kite would flag if I had a problem, and then move the leash to below the bar when I'm on the water? It seems like a better idea, and I'm assuming most people aren't taught this way by their instructors simply because its more of a hassle.
Opinions?
Richard
Old 01-31-2008, 06:41 AM

I keep my leash fastened where it started because moving the attachment point would involve unattaching your leash while your kite is in the air. While it isn't likely that you would need to throw your bar during that couple of seconds that you are making the transition, you never know when a gust will hit or something will go wrong with your gear. Plus, as you get more comfortable making that transition of leash attachment points, you would naturally become less cautious while doing it. Just my take on it, dont want to see any more 'runaway kites' than we have to, others may disagree with me though...
Old 01-31-2008, 07:24 AM

LSU.

Most kites have the option to attach a leash that will flag the kite. I will admit that if the wind is not crazy and I have lots of room, I will attach the leash below the bar. However, if I feel I have alot of wind/power on tap, sticky launch area, or just feel that I want to be able to "get out", then I attach to an exit ring. Once the launch is completed, then I switch the leash back over to below the bar.

I do teach my students about the hidden dangers of attaching your leash in a convenient place vs. a safe place. If the wind ever suddenly picked up, or something goes terribly wrong, and your leash wasn't on your exit ring, well.....you could be in trouble.

I do wish more kite companies would address this issue of convenience vs. safety.

I do not like the rings attached to the flying lines however. It makes for a big mess. I do like the rings attached to the center lines, but not as easy to get to.

Props to the companies that have safe, below the bar, flag points.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:05 AM

I won't name any names, but I remember a time in October that a front came through, I did not have my kite up, but plenty of others did, and out of no where the wind spiked from 15-18 to like 30+.

Steve-O you may remember this, but a guy on a 16 switchblade 2 who had his leash hook-up for convenience got lofted and dragged onto the sandbar.

He was lucky that there were people there to assist. this is a good example of a close call where the exit ring would have made all the difference.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:16 AM
Tom Stock

LSUKiter, if you launch hooked in, don't just look at your quick release, keep your HAND ON IT until the kite is overhead and stable... if it suddenly loops you will have to look down to grab it and trust me when I say you are not going to succeed.

Honestly I don't recommend connecting to an outside line during launch (on a waroo or other bow kite). If you have a bar with velcro on that ring, and you forget to undo it, or if you clip into the wrong ring (there are two on the end of the bar) you are in for the worst possible kitemare you can imagine.

Odds are good you will forget or get the wrong ring at some point in your life.

My personal solution is not the best solution, but it is the most convenient solution.

1) I launch hooked in with my hand on the QR, and I do not connect my leash until the kite is in the air. Not the best, but safe from kite loops as long as I pull the release.

2) A an even safer method which Steve-O mentioned awhile back is to launch with the chicken loop in your hand (unhooked) and one hand on the bar. Done that too... also no leash connected until after launch. Works ok, but you could loose your kite if you slip and fall or something.

Whats the safest method to launch a bow with "full" depower?

3) Launch unhooked by holding the chicken loop (fully depowered) in one hand,one hand on bar, with leash connected to a front line.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:37 AM

All good advice Tom.

Just to clarify, I never mentioned the chicken loop in hand idea. Might be confusing that with someone else. No biggie.

There are all kinds of methods to be safe, you just have to find what works best for you. The time to figure this out is not when you are in trouble, but to practice releasing the kite in a controlled area with lighter winds. Just to see what is going to happen so you know what to expect.

Center line rings are the best option IMO, and can easily be put on alot of kites that don't have them. Usually kites without pulleys on the bar have the rings on the back lines which as stated can be a mess. Yes and if hooked up wrong, you are even in bigger trouble.

Moral of the story, educate yourself on all aspects of the kites safety and practice using them all.

I like the kites that have the below bar safety ring and allow you to flag the kite in this same ring. What could be better???

I know of some.....are there others?

Ozone
Rev
Flexi ION (in 5 line setting)
North Kites
5 Line C kites
Blade

What other companies are using this safety as part of their design???

Yes Danny, that rings a bell.

Last edited by Steve-O; 01-31-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:54 AM

this is why i switched to 5th liners for higher wind, anything over 15 and im on 5 lines...
the good thing about 5 lines is that if you do get in trouble and cant find the QR, all you need to do is grab your leash and pull a good 1-2ft... that will pull the nose of the kite just enough to dump most of the power, unless its a 16m + kite, that would require more then 2ft.... but on my 12m, if i pull one foot of the 5th, the kite starts to fall out of the air, it obviously wouldnt stop a looping kite, but the pull would be reduced drastically
Old 01-31-2008, 11:07 AM

Freak Dog Kites also have below the bar safety (front line) and it works excellent. Instant flagging with no looping or pull.
Slingshot surefire spreader bar adds a very simple way out(hit the button) in addition to the normal quick release. Easier to hit the button than to find a loop, grab it effectively and pull it. I use these for all my students as an added safety precaution. I would like to see manufacturers improve this already smart design.