FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-21-2007, 03:03 PM

Default Shake a leg Miami... wed. night racing!

Wednesday night races:

Every Wednesday, we have course races in the Bay. The races are run by Shake-a-leg Miami. They are generally windward / leeward courses and we run with the sailboats and windsurfers. These are timed sequence starts and it's best to have a watch. In general, we give rights to all boats because we don't want to lose this opportunity.

These races are really for very advanced kiters due to the fact that we race in close quarters with other boats. It is also difficult to get to the racing area and it is generally best, depending on the wind direction to either launch from the causeway and sail down to the course or sail up from Matheson.

If you want to get in all 3 or 4 races, be on the water by 6:00 or 6:30 at the latest. Bring $5 to be scored in the series, and i think another $10 gets a great barbeque and and beers on the top deck of SAL after racing.

This is a great group and tons of fun. if you are interested and don't know were to launch, give Garry, Todd, or Kent a call at Adventure Sports Miami 305-591-3559 and we will let you know where we are starting from.

go to www. http://www.shakealegmiami.org for more info.

Kent
Old 05-22-2007, 01:39 PM

Don't forget the races at SAL on the bay tomorrow night! There should be around 9 windsurfers and I would sure like to see 5-6 kites. it is a pain to get out there, but I'll be launching from the Rickenbacher Cswy. at around 6 pm. There are actually 2 race courses out there. we race on the one that you will see the red sails with the bulls eye. head on by the start boat and hand them $5. Great eats and beers afterward at SAL on the upper deck.

Who's in? so far kent and garry... todd's on vacation.

Kent
Old 05-23-2007, 08:59 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

How did it go tonight? Was it nuking down there? It was going OFF in Delray, some pretty intense gusts early on. Ideal for racing on the flat?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 05-24-2007, 11:34 AM

The racing was great. We launched off the cswy in offshore winds and then rode about a mile downwind to the race course. The winds were fairly gusty in the bay and ranged from 17-25 mph.

We started out with 5 potential kite riders, but 2 were unable to drift launch off the cswy. Garry and I headed out and made the first race along with about 5 windsurfers. There are always between 6-10 sail boats as well, but the windsurfers and kiters are now given a separate start. Garry was using a Cab SB2 12 and I was on a Cab CB2 9.

The courses are windward - leeward and 2 laps around. Garry and I had a good upwind leg, with him being on a twin tip that he built and me on my DC directional. Our angle was similar upwind, but my speed was a bit better. Garry made some bad decisions upwind (bad Garry), and I rounded the upwind mark first between us, but still behind 4 windsurfers. I managed to reel in 1 windsurfer down wind and stayed ahead of him the rest of the race.

The kites are killing the windsurfers off the wind, but we can't seem to overcome the 10-15 degree angle difference upwind.

Jon Modica made it out for the 2nd race (on a SB2 6) and the 3 of us made it off the line in good shape vs. the windsurfers. I had a first place start and was looking good against the windsurfers when the wind was marginal, but when it filled in their angle killed me again.

I rounded just ahead of Jon and a bit ahead of Garry, but in 5 vs. the windsurfers. Caught 2 windsurfers off the wind and managed to only beat 1 though the finish line, but ended up ahead of Jon and Garry.

The 3rd race was great. Jon and Garry started perfectly off the line on port tack only riding about 6 feet away from each other. I was also on port, but just down wind of both. The windsurfers were also on port, but slightly up wind. Garry's speed was great, but he couldn't sneak under Jon. Jon's angle upwind helped him to out distance Garry over the top while my extra speed below also left the little guy behind. Jon and I had a very good up wind beat and cross tacks only feet apart. Jon's tacks were faster than mine and therefore he beat me to the windward mark. Unfortunately, I miss judged my lay line and had to triple tack and then fell in, leaving Jon well ahead.

It was awesome seeing him head off the wind on the second down wind. The 3 windsurfers were half way down the leg and Jon's said, "I’m going to win this one". His angle was 20 degrees lower and near the same speed. Two of the windsurfers beat him though the line, but he managed a 3rd overall!

Garry rode back up to the cswy to grab a car and Jon and I landed at a sketchy secret landing site next to my favorite watering hole (Hamish got to land there on Sunday). We had a few beers and headed next door for the SAL cook out.

In short, we learned a lot about our boards once again and it's back to the drawing board. The most interesting thing was that the 3 of us were on such different kites (6, 9, and 12) and all doing very well. Garry, Todd, and I raced several SAL race series last year and could hardly make it around the course. This year even the windsurfers commented that our improvement was outstanding. With a bit more evolution, I think that we will be able to finish mid pack against windsurfers if the winds are ranging between 12-18.

The best part about the race last night was the Garry finally got a 3rd place!!! Good job little buddy.

Kent