FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 01-27-2008, 11:13 PM
Skyway Scott

Donna did a good job, considering my camera is a p.o.s. and it was gloomy out at first.

I added a few more from a while back.

http://web.mac.com/scottfears/Site/S...oBook_One.html

Last edited by Skyway Scott; 01-28-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:37 AM

pictures look great scott/donna!! I love to see other people's perspectives from behind a camera. good stuff!
Old 01-28-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad085 View Post
i dont think walking through there is a life or death situation, thats what the QR is for . The threat is against your precious kite!!! Those mangroves don't look friendly. It's not an ideal place to ride imo, no easy place to land if you get in trouble, etc. Wasn't real stoked, rode pretty conservatively. Shoulda just hit the beaches up here closer to home , but it was nne this am at sunset and dunedin and without a boat north county ain't happenin for nne, so EB it was, then a few hours later its NNW, perfect for north county beaches. Gotta love it!!! no sweat, any day under tight lines is a good one just gotta be careful

what happens when 20 mph winds hit a 10-15ft mangrove wall... it causes an updraft that combined with the 15-20mph wind thats already blowing can give you quite a suprise, i wouldnt recommend it either... not worth the risk to me, let alone my kite, what would happen if you pulled the QR... bye bye kite in off shore conditions
Old 01-28-2008, 07:14 AM
Skyway Scott

Thanks. I need a new camera though, the quality of those pics is poor.
The camera is now 5 years old and can't focus any more for being dropped too many times and spending far too much time in/near water and sand. When I first bought it, that camera was the best bang for the buck out there. Now, it's literally worn out.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:39 AM
Skyway Scott

I wouldn't worry about it, Danny.
If something goes wrong, Jim will call an ambulance and that will be that. He won't threaten access.
The kite will most likely be picked up and kept by a boater (like so many in the past).
Old 01-28-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway Scott View Post
I wouldn't worry about it, Danny.
If something goes wrong, Jim will call an ambulance and that will be that. He won't threaten access.
The kite will most likely be picked up and kept by a boater (like so many in the past).
kite access wasnt even on my mind..... i was only concerned for the rider...
Old 01-28-2008, 08:40 AM

So to steer this back in a positive direction....Scott's rec. of launching a little offshore and then riding upwind around, or walking your gear through the cut and then launching in the clear are two options that would minimize the risk.

I do worry about riders safety.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:03 AM
Skyway Scott

You'll drive yourself crazy Steve, trust me.
Do you worry about car driver's safety while driving to work or soldier's safety every day? Gotta draw the line somewhere.
If we post and guys blow it off, we did our best. I wouldn't literally worry (I take words literally, not as figures of speech).
I did worry a lot about safety for years and have seen at least ten ambulance rides and at least 40 "drive to hospital myself" scenarios.
I can't afford to worry anymore, it kills my stoke.

Acess is always first on my mind in all these scenarios.
If a guy getting hurt jeopardizes access, I am deeply concerned about rider behavior in that area.
If a guy getting whacked doesn't affect access, I don't care much if guys don't want to listen to advice.

There are a few spots where riders getting hurt could still get us kicked out. The SW (especially if in the road) is one of them.
EB is heavily insulated from such issues, as Jim Wilson has assured me.
So, walk through those mangroves guys, don't take 5 minutes to protect your kite and yourself.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:39 AM

Well said Scott. Some of these guys are going to do what they want. I have tried once, and don't plan to do it again.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:07 AM

Agreed, we are all big boys and girls here. I too was originally concerned with these access and danger issues but now just feel that everyone is responsible for themselves and their own actions. We can be there to try and help *if* the $h!+ hits the fan but otherwise there really is no reason for riders to tell one another what to do (unless they are under educated or asking for help)... I have just seen too much banter back and forth with no end resolution other than hard feelings, it never solves anything. If someone wants to do something, they will do it whether others like it or not. Just my $0.02