FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 01-24-2008, 01:57 PM

semi dry's are nice... well worth it...
i have a 4/3 semidry, i can sit in the water for about 10 seconds, come out and still be completely dry.....
Old 01-24-2008, 02:00 PM

Inferno,

I don't doubt that that's as much as your whole quiver. I guess that the difference is depending on what kite you get, you don't need a "whole quiver". If you aren't getting any range out of your kites, maybe you should switch. Ha ha ha... just kidding. have a good one.

Kent
Old 01-24-2008, 02:25 PM

Bryan,

Check out Mystic's gloves, the ones that have the index finger separated from the rest of the fingers. They don't have the open palm like the Neil Pryde ones, but they have little rubber grippers and the material doesn't feel like it interferes with your grasp. I like the index being separated compared to the full mitt, as it makes it easy to grab a line or emergeny release if necessary.The back side of the glove is fully skinned for wind protection. Roy and I wore ours last weekend in 30 degree temps with wind chills in the 20's, and our hands were just fine.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent View Post
Inferno,

I don't doubt that that's as much as your whole quiver. I guess that the difference is depending on what kite you get, you don't need a "whole quiver". If you aren't getting any range out of your kites, maybe you should switch. Ha ha ha... just kidding. have a good one.

Kent

atleast we arent like Tom Stock in the C kite days......
lets see (correct me if im wrong tom) he had a 9m,11m,13m,15m,18m,and a 21m
Old 01-24-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent View Post
buy what ever suit fits your budget, however the assumptions on kite specific suits are totally incorrect. NPX and NP for example do loosen up the arm area to allow for good movement. Additionally, these suits are blind stitched where the suit that you are going to get for $35 is probably a flat lock suit with wet seams allowing for cold water flush. How many times have you been bolting along in your surf suits on a kite and you end up with "kankles"? The water jets up your leg and stays there adding 20 lbs. of weight to you body. This sucks and is another example of using the wrong tool for the job.

Kent
Blind stitching has been on the market for years. Not only does my $35 Quicksilver have blindstitching, it's seems are welded on the inside. This is the warmest suit ive ever had, and ive gone thru alot of wetsuits.
These $300 kite suits are marginally better.....id rather put that $$$ into kites. ive been buying wetsuits since the 80's and its comical how these companys come out with gimmicks to outsell the competition, remember "titanium injected neoprene"? Rip Curl claimed "Titanium is 200% warmer than regular neoprene" well if titanium worked why dont we see titanium dust used in wetsuits anymore?. Then one year it was the copper inner lining thing that would make your skin turn green LOL.....
But If i were rich man id buy the top of the line stuff too, and not have to worry about shopping around which is a PITA and id drive a Ferrari Testossarosa Gucci sunglasses etc......
Old 01-24-2008, 04:52 PM

Whoa there buddy. Ease off on the coffee. I just said to do what your budget lets you do. If you want something significantly better, get the better suit. I can tell you that the difference is large when using a specific suit. If you want to use a dive suit it will work too, but your experience will be different. Today’s suits are all better. Neilpryde builds suits for Quick Sliver, Hurley, and Billabong. All of these are good suits, but NP and NPX just build suits that are more "suited" for what we do.

Those gimmicks you're speaking of also gave us far lighter and flexible neoprene, better closures, and killer wicking materials that keep the clam off of your skin. If you have been using older suits, you probably wouldn't have tried this stuff, and therefore you don't know what you’re missing. It’s kind of like a dog that has been beaten all of its life. It really doesn't know anything different; it just expects the beating everyday and thinks nothing of it.

It used to be that wetsuits were a commodity, but there is a difference. I dare you to hop into a Neilpryde Elite or 5000 series suits and say they're not far better. Obviously, it is over kill for where we live, but it will weigh less than your thinner suit and feel like it is a part of your skin. Water sheds off the suit like nothing else. The inner liner is awesome and you can stand on the beach all day if you want to without getting all clammy.

In short, get the surf suit if you want. It will be fine, but don't try a 5000 series, a Zealot, or Elite; because you will know that tomorrow beating is coming...

Kent
Old 01-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
It used to be that wetsuits were a commodity, but there is a difference. I dare you to hop into a Neilpryde Elite or 5000 series suits and say they're not far better. Obviously, it is over kill for where we live, but it will weigh less than your thinner suit and feel like it is a part of your skin. Water sheds off the suit like nothing else. The inner liner is awesome and you can stand on the beach all day if you want to without getting all clammy

trust me, the 5000 Neil Pryde series is some seriously warm and flexible as heck suit. sure the cheap surf suits will do the job ( if thick enough ) , but they will never be as warm and manueverable with the quality neoprene that gives you yoga like flexibility with neoprene that shrugs off the wind chill like it didn't exist. thats important for early mornings when it blows most.

BTW, who is doing dawn patrol fri morning? Danny? I got a nice NP 5000 5/3 that I know I'll be cozy in even at 44 deg, just need my op gloves and I'm set.

DP, NE body?
Old 01-24-2008, 06:46 PM

sorry raul, cant make it... im watching my son tomorrow AM...
have fun...
Old 01-24-2008, 06:55 PM

See ya out there Raul

Kent, That Neilpryde Elite/5000 sounds like the real deal, but ill put off testing one untill the day my OceanRodeo Pyro Surf drysuit starts wearing out.......which i hope aint soon. You see, im a featherweight and once it gets down to a certain temp i just dont believe in wetsuits, for me its gotta be my Drysuit or its just not worth the hypothermic pain. Drysuit and Dishwashing Gloves.....the blue ones. The O.R PyroSurf Drysuit is awesome and worth the $$ IMO but thats another topic
Old 01-24-2008, 08:58 PM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
Drysuit and Dishwashing Gloves.....the blue ones

LOL!!! on both hands too???!!! LOL!!!