FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > KITEBOARDING AT ... launches, precautions, SCHOOLS, SHOPS, meets, local groups and more > Bahamian Kiteboarding Forum
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-13-2006, 11:53 AM

Default coming to nassau

Hey I'll be coming to nassau for a week in early March. A couple of friends and I are looking for some of the popular spots to ride around the island. We're staying on Cable beach and I've heard that is a pretty popular area to go. Also, what is the predominant wind and direction for that time of year. What is the best way to get around the island with kite gear? Can you take it on buses? And is there anything we need to know before we come. We're flying with Spirit Air, does anyone know how they are with kite gear? Thanks for the help, I know theres lots of questions.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:41 PM

Cable Beach is the best spot to be, especially this time of the year. The first day of a front starts with W maybe SW and Cable Beach is not a good place to ride but it only takes 10min drive to get to OrangeHill Beach where W is side on. Second and third day is usually NW to NE and Cable Beach is the spot to be. Be careful with the tourist hanging around and the jet skies. NE of Cable Beach there is a point called GoslowBend with some nice waves (and rocks too :cry: ). At about 1 mile out there is the reef break where on a good day can produce 8-10 feet waves and at low tide the water can only be 3 feet deep !! Usually on the fourth day (if not before) the front is going to swing around to E and ESE where CableBeach becomes off shore. We usually go to a place called BlueHill, it's on the other side of the island and from Cable Beach is probably 30min drive. With high tide the water is 3 to 5 feet so make sure you don't get there at low tide !!
For wind forescast I use http://www.windfinder.com/report/nassau and http://www.ikitesurf.com/windandwher...on=Last+7+Days
The wind can blow from 25+ to steady 15 so if you are not sure bring at least 2 kites !!
Best way to get around is to hire a car.

I'm sure our local instructior (AJ) will be happy to give you some more tips....

Hope to seeyou in the water...
Old 02-14-2006, 09:29 AM

Default call me when you get in

check out cross-shore.com for info on the bahamas
aj
Old 02-14-2006, 08:29 PM

Thanks for all the info. I can't wait to get over there. I'll be bringing a 7, 11, and 15m. I think those should cover most everything. Do you know anything about spirit airlines and how strict they are with the boards and stuff.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:08 PM

Default bring a golf bag

if you way over 190 pounds you should bring a 17m and for get the small kites.
bring your stuff in a golf bag.
aj
Old 02-16-2006, 07:28 PM

sorry, no experience with Spirit. Check the 7 days forecast out before you leave, it might help you making the right decision.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:51 AM

Looks like the wind is has been blowin and is gonna keep blowin till about friday. THE DAY I GET THERE! Ahh there better be some wind later in the week.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:28 PM

We had 3 good days of wind. I went out Sat and Sun on my 12 in 15-20k. Monday morning was good too.

We now have a couple of days of break and hopefully we might get some NE from Sat so Cable Beach should be OK to start off your bahamian vacation.

We'll keep you posted
Old 03-01-2006, 02:09 PM

I was in the airport Monday(27) morning and US airways had this long ass line that came out of the airport, it took over an hour just to get checked in and in the mean time I was just looking at the trees bending over from all the wind, The line of taxis that was pulling up made me want to jump in one and forget my trip and head to Goodmans, I knew you guys and a good day Monday, I’ll be back in town Monday(6) morning. From the plane home to the spot.