FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-18-2007, 09:34 PM

Talking I must be cool?

The title of my thread is a little sarcastic i know, and this thread is not mean't to point anyone in particular, especially since I haven't met everyone on here.

I just wanted to point out that other than the time that I took lessons from Randy R. I have never been kiteboarding at the skyway.

Today was my first time, I came, the beach was crowded, ocean rodeo and best both had lots of demo stuff as many know.

There were alot of faces, none of which I have ever seen.

I pumped up my 15m Monkey, red one, and got launched.

So, what I am trying to point out is that I had never seen anyone out there before and they have never seen me, most people where riding 8,9,10 and here I am with my 15(it was great by the way and I did fine from 5-7), got launched, and no one questioned me at all...

We had some super long threads going on here about identifying newbs and questioning new faces at the launch sites and not one person said anything to me except a guy asked if I knew how to launch him, as I had his kite in my hand.

What happened to all the kite police?

All I can conclude is....I must be cool!!:
Old 09-18-2007, 09:37 PM
Skyway Scott

The kite police gave up on the SW and are at Lassing.
The riders at Lassing are making serious efforts to all talk to one another and police ourselves.
No monkey business out there and I doubt any will be tolerated.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:10 PM

I also wanted to add that I did all of my huge jumps and even bigger crash landings way more than 200 yards off shore.

Also Scott, we must have just missed each other because I always ride lassing out o the east, first time at the skyway...go figure, although I look forward to meeting all you guys (and gals) one day.

Danny
Old 09-18-2007, 10:28 PM
Skyway Scott

Cool. See you out there soon. All the riders there are really making efforts to talk to each other, be courteous, etc. Good group out there.
Not that the SW isn't (I wouldn't know, I have been riding elsewhere),
I am just confident that since Lassing is a pretty tight knit group of a relatively small number of riders and it's the same riders on most nights,
that self regulation will be easier to accomplish out there.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:12 AM
popeye

.. it's going to take a lot less to get kicked out so there is no f'ing around tolerated out there ... were are basically in everyone's front or back yard.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:05 AM

tom .. you are 100% correct. I know someone that lives in one of the houses on the park and he said that the kiters have never been a bother to anyone that he knows of.. but that could change in one day..

just gotta be as absolutely polite and respectful as possible. these folks are living in million dollar homes and we are taking up their view.. i think many enjoy watching us.. but one bad seed could ruin it..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 09-19-2007, 07:59 AM
Skyway Scott

Yep, I agree too.
I also know residents in two of the waterfront properties.
They happen to love watching us and you guys might notice one group (usually 2 to 4 women) out on their lawn chairs about 5 houses from the SW tip watching us quiet frequently. You might have also noticed that the same guy runs each night (with the camel pack at 6pm), the lady with the rott that loves to chase us, the ladies in dresses playing tag football (that's an interesting sight), along with many other regular night joggers, walkers and bikers doing their routine in and around the park. The good thing about having them there most every night is that if we are cool, they can vouge for that if a one time freak accident happens and cops/ambulances show.
The corollary to that is that they can say the opposite, if we don't act accordingly out there.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:12 AM

Talking I think I met cha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal8199 View Post
We had some super long threads going on here about identifying newbs and questioning new faces at the launch sites and not one person said anything to me except a guy asked if I knew how to launch him, as I had his kite in my hand.
I think you launched my 9 Rastaroo for me bro. I appreciate that. So is your name Dan I take it?
~Christopher
Old 09-19-2007, 12:22 PM

Yessir.

Dan it is. I'm glad you asked if I knew what I was doing because I have made the mistake of letting someone who actually didn't know how to properly launch and it just turned into a twisted mess!
Old 09-19-2007, 12:56 PM

Guys I for one AGREE completely. I love riding LP and make certain all trash, whether mine or not is picked up and disposed of properly. I have spoken to the Nuns? as well as several of the home owners and they agree they enjoy us being out there.

Dan, too funny of a post... Now if you threw up a 20 meter yesterday, ALL eyes would have been on you.