FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

View Poll Results: We need a sign, so inferno made one. Ok or not?
Yeah, it's fine. 17 85.00%
No, no good. 3 15.00%
Everything sucks and I hate signs. (this response will be ignored) 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2007, 01:56 PM

Should someone find out if we are allowed to mount a sign (on public property) before we make the sign, or there would be no point...

Or do we just mount it and hope no one takes it down?

I vote for the space shettle, can we set up another poll?
Old 08-29-2007, 02:26 PM

Default signage

at east beach IMO ask for permission to put up a sign since you know the rangers. at skyway do not ask permission the property is owned by the DOT
i think we will draw unwanted attention to the inherent danger. better yet have randy put out a portable sign. just my .02 cents
Old 08-29-2007, 02:40 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Securing permission to post a sign from public authorities can sometimes be a very difficult task. Aside from approving content, size, location of posting, etc.., providing reasonable justification for the sign can be damaging all by itself. In some jurisdictions, there is no posting of signs by anyone other than the governing entity. We have had cases in the SE where we had to abandon the effort due to all the public hurdles.

Where you have good, existing close relations with authorities such as some launches within Ft. DeSoto you might broach the subject carefully and see where things go.

If you don't have groundwork already laid with key individuals within the DOT or unless a parley is already unavoidable based on past incidents, I would advise caution in seeking such approval. Do your best to know the answer before the question is formally asked in other words.

What has been done in other areas is to put up temporary signs that come down at the end of the day. It isn't perfect but sometimes it is the best first step available. Also, I would circulate the sign content far and wide through shops, events, instructors, on forums as has already been suggested to help the effort along.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-29-2007, 02:49 PM
popeye

Well, here's my opinion on the sign.

#1: 13 votes to 3 say it's fine... so lets go with that and leave it as is. Check.

#2: Just talked to Scott and he and Scott Wolfe are prepared to talk to Jim at Ft. Desoto if everyone is in agreement. They have talked with him in the past so they have a pretty good dialog going.

#3: Who can get the sign made and for how much. I figure we need 3 of them, two for skyway one for EB. The one for Each Beach toned down a little for beginners.

We just need a final decision regarding the emergency numbers on the sign. I recommend Eckerd search and rescue, and the ranger's office on the E.B. Sign.

Just eckerd on the skyway signs.

Rick is right about the skyway signs... I think some temporary signs (but heavy duty) might be the best approach.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:19 PM

Tom- great job breaking it down. Too many posts for many people to sift thru to get to the main points. I know that there are a lot more than 16 riders in this area who have an opinion on this matter because many of them have been on here making comments/complaining for at least the past year. I hope that those people speak up and offer their ideas instead of waiting for the 16 of us to work hard getting something put together and then bitch about how they don't like it. So for those of you who are reading this... Simply reply with basic agreements/disagreements/suggestions, etc. Or at least vote in the poll!!

Signage w/the ECSR # sounds great and the rest of us with websites/businesses, etc. will all post the same info on our websites or in our shops.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:38 PM

Sorry I am a little delayed on getting involved with this, I was on vacation for the last 11 days.

I think the idea of the portable signs in a great one and perhaps randy would be willing to set one up when he is out there, since he is out there the most. If its portable then there really only needs to be one for what ever side the wind is blowing on.

Does anyone think it is a good idea to perhaps post the hazards at the sky way diagramed similar to what use to be on tampabaykiteboardin.com?
Old 08-29-2007, 03:53 PM
Skyway Scott

I think what the last 4 posts say, especially RickI warning about the SW are dead on. What if we try EB first and see how it goes?
Old 08-29-2007, 04:17 PM

I think it is obvious we will not build the signs until permission is granted.

If you recall, Matt from Eckerd may be able to secure some funds from the college to help get these things built. He also mentioned that the adminsitration at Eckerd may be able to help get permission with a sign in the park.

Any updates Matt???

Let's wait to hear from Matt. Maybe he has made some progress. If not let's send in Team Scott to see what they can negotiate.

If we get some approval, I think that will really get things moving.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:49 PM

Sign looks great....idea is even better. I've seen many variables riding here in the UK. It's surprising (and encouraging) how often people gather around them and discuss the content....which is exactly what we want of course.

They also do the harness tags here in a couple areas, although they're Port Authority regulated and distributed through the local surf shop. However they are surprisingly visible and durable.

Cheers,

Chris B.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:24 PM
popeye

Scott is one of the (few) riders who has been around here since the beginning and he already has a good relationship with the Rangers.

I think he should just have a friendly discussion with them about it... if they are unsure then let Eckerd push it.

Thats just my opinion... but if Matt has actually done something with Eckerd than by all means lets give it a shot. Problem is, I don't expect that to happen as quickly as Scott driving the 15 minutes and meeting with Jim. The longer this takes, the sooner everyone looses interest and the less likely it is to happen. This isn't the first time we've tried to make a positive change... and it won't be the first time if everyone looses interest and it falls to the wayside.

Jim is a nice guy and he was on our old forum until I pulled the plug. I talked to him at East Beach the last time we had an ambulance show up and he was very friendly and open regarding the situation.

Once you bring in lawyers or a paper trail everything has to be done legally and documented. Do it on a handshake and it gets done twice as fast without the time and expense. No need to wait for funds for a sign before we get permission... it's not like one sign costs so much that we need funding.

Just my opinion. I expect E-Bone, at any moment, to show up and lay it out in a short novel form with an interesting plot.