FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 01-01-2011, 05:25 PM

Default What has better winds?

I want to move to Florida and am going to either move to SW or SE area. I want to know what side has more kitable wind? Or is it not so contrasted and they are about te same?

Thanks.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

The Keys might do better than either the SE or SW coast in terms of more wind more of the year. Few waves down there however if you like wave riding. If you are talking of SW Florida say around Wiggins to Naples vs. Miami to West Palm Beach, looking at ikitesurf records it looks like there is more rideable wind on the SE coast. I will try to upload some images to support this. Just looking at November and December 2010, there was more rideable wind in the SE. Not nuclear winds mind you though much of the time. Things may differ north of South Florida particularly in these times of variable winds year to year. There is more to life than wind, I'm told, the nature of conditions on land differ appreciably from the east and west coasts of South Florida. You may have some questions about those considerations too.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 01-02-2011, 09:11 AM

Yes it seems slightly more consistent on the SE side from what iv seen so far. I'm looking at the areas between north port and naples and on the SE side around fort lauderdale area.

I do also care about the nature of conditions on land as well. Any personal opinions or facts are welcome about living and kiting in or around these areas.

I dunno when exactly I'm moving, bit it's going to happen. Could be as early as this summer or perhaps in a year or two. Depends on jobs and things of that sort. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Things are more crowded and fast paced in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale than Naples which is easier going. There is also more traffic congestion in the SE. You are not that far away from either coast using Alligator Alley allowing movement for east, west winds and trips down to the Keys. I would ask Latino for his impressions on Naples or Damo for that matter. I grew up in Ft. Lauderdale and like the area but live a bit further north these days. There used to be a lot of great riding options around Sanibel but access threats have heated up including a few bans in the area. As far as cost of living, think the two areas might be similar including lower cost "bedroom" communities on both coasts. There are lots more things that could be said about each area.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 01-05-2011, 02:37 PM

Default eat coast

east coast get bigger waves....
west coast has more flat water....
Old 01-06-2011, 03:22 PM

Thanks for the input. Its all being considered. I will post back here as I have more to ask. Does Damo lurk around these forms? I figure he has a good idea about the naples area.

Thanks!