FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 06-14-2006, 11:55 AM

BigR..

on my waroos 12m and 9m, when i oversheet it in it loses a ton of power. i intentionally rig so that in normal conditions i run with the depower strap pulled about 1/3 and bar is about 5 to 7 inches from loop for the perfect angle to the wind. rigged like this i have some

if I oversheet (fully power the strap and pull bar in) it generates power, yes, but its more of Grunt-type power .. it pulls more downwind as it falls way back in the window.. much like oversheeting a C..

sheet out a bit and the kite zips to the edge of the window, perfectly powered and flinging you upwind.

i found in conditions that are really gusty, having it setup more powered (oversheeted) i was able to control the line tension and ease off the power better..

again.. ive only got about 7 or so hours in these conditions under my belt with these kites..

in either case, with the 25 inches of depower, complete dump of power was there.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 06-14-2006, 12:20 PM
Can't Re-member

Danny: 7M Bow Lori can begin riding at 16-17 kts fully powered at 18-19kts
Alex can as well under those conditions when he used to weigh the same :lol: :shock: LOL!

I on the other hand need more like 21kts to begin riding and fully powered at 24 kts
Old 06-14-2006, 12:31 PM
Can't Re-member

Bryan, yes , oversheeting is way more power but stalls kite. That is why sheeting out moderately is much more efficient for riding than oversheeting ( being too powered ) .

I only oversheet to jump.

Basically what it seems you are doing is depowered the kite on the strap so that you can pull the bar all the way in. of course this means you don't have to travel the bar ( sheet out) as much to de power. Also you can't really oversheet anymore.

I don't know if the reason you did this is because you have to have 25 inches of travel to fully de power the kite? Probably so

My kite only needs 12 inches to fully de power the kite b/c of the pullys on my bar so I can sheet out and leave the de power strap alone and achieve full de power. Leaving my power strap alone means I can also oversheet which stalls the kite out or leads to jumping or both ( depending if I sheet in even more once airborne )

I usually ride with the bar out almost halfway about 4 inches to achieve a balance between oversheeting and sheeting out. This is the most efficient way, IMO

my .25
Old 06-14-2006, 01:11 PM

Ive had a lot of low wind experience on the 12m and found that sheeted out a bit is the key.. i can litterally move the bar 2 inches and watch the kite fly to the edge of the window and gather apparnet wind .. pretty amazing.

my c-kite riding lately, i have been trying to ride smaller kites and larger boards.. really trying to learn to fly (sine) the kite more effectively and become a better kite pilot. its easy enough to rig a bigger kite, but to fly a smaller kite takes some skill and I am trying to learn that .. its come in VERY handy when trying to get as much out of a 12m bow as possible.

i got tired of seeing Ebone out on his 9 meter waroo when I was trying desperately to fly a 15-C. decided then and there to do what i could to enhance my skills..

my high wind tactics are still a work in progress. Sunday the "super" gusts were almost too much to handle. sheeting out to the point that the trailing edges were flapping..
sheeted in a couple times and the kite fell back in the window, kite maintained its shape w/o flutter and I was able to edge and ride the gust out. gust died down, sheet out.. enjoy the ride.

Definitely, sheet out for a jump, attain the apex, sheet in, enjoy the view!!!! softly sheet out as you drop and you land gently.

the waroo stock bar has 25 or so inches of throw.. this is too much to my liking.. i can depower fully with about 15 inches or less... i am going to play around with the CL length a bit and find that happy medium.. probably shorten to 18 inches for the first go-round, adjust back lines accordingly, etc....

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 06-14-2006, 01:17 PM

thats why i plan on putting my waroo on a SS bar, its has about 13 inches of sheeting, and another 5-6 inches on the depower line, that should be more then enough for the 9m and smaller waroos
Old 06-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Skyway Scott

Some of you will get a kick out of the irony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway Scott
Shannon has been hanging out in the shop alot. He's a cool guy for sure.
We even talked a bit about the hellfish. I know this, if someone told me last summer I would be selling Best Waroos and talking to Shannon Best on a couch, I would have bet them 15 grand they were wrong.
Funny stuff! That one pic is of me taking his picture while Daryl orders more Waroos on the phone.
The other is one of Daryl biting a Best Girl's nipple (Kristin didn't approve)
Check out Shannon's shorts, (after you check out his girl's shorts). They were the s#$t.

http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/s.nl...In0?it=I&id=52
Old 06-14-2006, 03:38 PM

Skyway Scott on the BEST website, who woulda thunk it!?!?
Old 06-14-2006, 05:01 PM

Did you meet dre?

That guy is a badass... I watched a video of his riding and it's just inspiring.

His wakestyle tricks are badass, then him on sliders are just smooooooth
Old 06-14-2006, 05:30 PM
Skyway Scott

Toby,

This is America, anything, no matter how perverse, is possible.

Too bad the old forum isn't up.. some funny shit is on there b/n me, Gordon, Window Guy and Tom! I think the waroos are good kites (which is good, b/c I have sold several of them in just a few days).
I have been riding both the 16m Waroo and the 16m Caution lately and like them both (they are different, but I am riding them over my own C-Kite).

We are getting the first hyper-type prototype (RRD) in the country tomorrow to demo and I'll get to ride that Frdiay. Sweet!! I hope it's good and I don't get worked on it Too bad you guys aren't closer, I'd let you ride it and give honest inputs. When I come in to visit, I will grab as much stuff as Daryl let's me.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway Scott
When I come in to visit, I will grab as much stuff as Daryl let's me.
Just make sure it's the free stuff.