FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-16-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein View Post
If you are teaching in Miami and are current and insured, call Chris Moore at PASA and have this list updated.
Just to be clear I'm not the Chris Moore he is referring too. I get a lot of calls and people complaining that think I'm passing myself off as PASA certified. It's the other bro, I'm the one being tazed.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:31 PM

Stilts taxi runs havn't taken off becuase who can afford to do it with the current prices. Given this year it would cost a small fortune.

In the Keys its $20. Thats affordable.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:03 AM

Default PASA list

With regards to the list of instructors, I would not pay much attention to it, we all know how bad PASA is when it comes to Admin etc, I paid the bill they sent me and renewed my insurance ,but I do not see my school up there .

Greg
Old 03-17-2010, 09:08 AM

I am still surprised there is not an affordable taxi in Miami, even $40 would be reasonable and with minimal advertising you should be able to fill boats. In this economy no one can run a boat with a captain for $480 per day?
Old 03-17-2010, 09:23 AM

Default Hobie beach

Good job to the people that are concerned about the hot dogging on Hobie beach. I am surprised that most kiters do not get involved in policing the situation. We intervened a few times and got nothing but grief and frowns. Civility and manners are forgotten by a few reflecting on all the other kiters that stayed outside buoys.

Instructors teaching at Hobie in on shore conditions are to be blamed as well.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:33 AM

Rick,

To be clear, I am not of the opinion that we need to agree to ban hobie any longer. I really like to ride this place. It offers access to 5-6 great riding spots that are fantastic.

I will propose that there should be no "feet in the staps" inside the buoys. I.e. at low tide riders should walk to the buoys before getting on there boards, or at high tide they should body drag to the buoys before "boarding". This is the easiest way to police and have it enforced. This would allow open access and would probably discourage the riding behavior that we saw on the weekend.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:27 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thanks for the clarification Kent and your help over the years Ovidio. I totally agree, I think more self-policing among kiters in general is what it will take to try to preserve this launch. What about doing assisted launches and landing as close to the buoys as the water depth will allow? Having kites up near the beach has preceded all the accidents that come to mind over the years.

This may seem like an ax job but the reality is there have been tons of guys doing the same thing for a very long time. "a" just was caught on video and "b"'s kite going down came out at the same time. There have been dozens, hundreds of other cases over about ten years here.

This is a long term problem, guys with the skill and knowledge to stay outside but may not, compounded by all the newbies that shouldn't be there in those conditions made still worse by instructors giving lessons in the middle of all of this.

We need to get this situation under control to try to keep this place open. These same riding issues cause problems at other spots as well to varying degrees.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 03-19-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:43 AM

Default what i learned

There are two lessons I am taking away from this situation

1.) I like Kent's rule. "No feet in the straps" inside the buoys. Period! I will spread the word as I will likely be riding at Hobie a lot over the next month.

2.) I am going to get way more involved on the beach while I am there. The mistake I made in all of this is not walking over and challenging this behavior. Next time, I will.

it's time to get pro-active, and since there is a good chance I will be working at RSMAS and the AOML Lab, I really, REALLY want Hobie to stay open for kiting.

time to be motivated

-patrick
Old 03-17-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizGuru View Post
Why is everyone saying it is not a local problem? I have seen plenty of locals inside the swim buoy. I understand that this guy throwing kiteloops over people's heads is taking it to the next levels, but I am sure there were plenty of locals riding inside the buoys, just in a slightly less dangerous manor. Also it is a local problem cause if the "non Miami natives" show up and shut it down with stupid actions, you lose the spot as well. I love to travel around Florida to kite, and one thing that is very clear is the Miami seen has more of a "Not my problem" attitude than ANY other local crew I have had the pleasure to ride with. Not saying everyone is bad, just in Tampa, St Augustine, Jacksonville, Jupiter, and even Pompano, when one person walks up to talk with a kiter, there is a pile of people behind him to enforce the severity of the issue. Most of what I see in Miami is one guy talks to a problem kiter and gets ignored. In many areas this beach enforcement is driven by the local shops and school, with support of the locals. Considering the ratio of closed to open beaches for kiting in Miami compared to other areas, I think I look at how it is handled elsewhere may not be a bad idea. I will say Matheson has got much better over the past few years. But still nothing like what you see up north. I don't want this to come off as a negative post, just trying to push some general observations. This is NOT an attack on Miami or the kite community there, just some constructive criticism. Also I would like to thank the person for posting the video, really points out the problem and gets people motivated and discussing the issues, even if the idiot (not gonna avoid a personal attack when someone is being that stupid) in it never sees it.

Who was giving lessons at Hobie?
I thought it was an accepted fact that Hobie was not suitable for teaching?
This is what should be documented and sent to the appropriate certifying organization. I have avoided Hobie for the obvious reasons plus the Keys and West Coast are so much better on a west wind. However, next time I am there I will make sure to bring a camera and document the teaching. Cause that is just plan stupid. The shops and school should be leading by example... which has not always been the case in Miami.

People teaching at Hobie should never have started, there are several "so called" schools that teach here......I wonder if this kid understands the dangers? On this day if this child was injured the so called qualified and professional Instructor would be jailed under the Child Protection Law!!!!! People step it up!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...id=83535201089
Old 03-17-2010, 05:34 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

In case folks missed it, it looks like the authorities are banning kiting along all of Rickenbacker Causeway. Once the signs are up which are being prepared, enforcement through deputies and the marine patrol is to start.

We need to step up to preserve access at contested launches through self-policing. If you don't have problems at your launch, great. If you do, kiters need to band together to try to keep things sane and safe of the beach avoiding complaints and threats to access.

More at:
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=9434

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi