FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 08-26-2007, 05:54 PM

Rick, sorry the dive didn't work out, how were the Dean winds up your way? I couldn't wait for the race to start at Matheson last Sunday and did my own looong upwinder. Before you resort to extreme parchese maybe we should take a Cessna and hunt down the Andros thermals?
JPR
Old 08-26-2007, 09:48 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500EPILOT View Post
Rick, sorry the dive didn't work out, how were the Dean winds up your way? I couldn't wait for the race to start at Matheson last Sunday and did my own looong upwinder. Before you resort to extreme parchese maybe we should take a Cessna and hunt down the Andros thermals?
JPR
There have been lots of other good dive seasons in recent weeks. Just NOT yesterday, it actually reminded me of underwater work in the Intracoastal back in the day. Not my idea of casual fun.

We had two solid days of good winds, 11 to 16 m weather, perhaps more within normal working hours. It was good to get out and in the waves. It occurred to me that it had been months for me since a descent wind session and distance races particularly with messed up gastrocs on the mend might not be the most intelligent choice at this point. So, I wimped out of the downwinder, that time!

I have been looking over wind data for NW Andros, the thermals don't appear to be on all the time, just sometimes. The winds shift into the mid to high teen knot range in late morning through sunset often several days in a row. Over here as a rule there is nothing in the same time frames. If you're up for flying, I'm up for buying some fuel, etc.. Feel like exploring?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-27-2007, 10:34 AM

Rick, I would be up for an overnight hop to Andros, the cost to rent a plane for 24 hours and split it three ways would be about $240 pp rt. Basically you have to pay for 4 hours of flight time at $170.00/hr for every 24 hours you are holding the airplane. In a Cessna 182 we could go three 180 lb persons and 150/200lb of gear by reducing the fuel load a bit. Andros is only an hour away so we wouldn't need a full 88 gallon fuel load. The advantage to personal flying is you make your own schedule and go where the wind is not where the airlines fly to. Let me know, I can reserve the plane with a few key strokes. The plane is based out of Tamiami but I could fly up to Pompano and pick you up and burn off some fuel weight that way also. PS Kent M has survived flying with me.
JPR
Old 08-27-2007, 11:10 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Sounds interesting! Lets look into this some more and try to put something together. What would you guess the flight radius on the 182 would be? Andros is interesting but this place really has me curious ...

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=4260

Do you dive, free dive as well as kite? Getting there within a weekend using normal carriers is pretty tough. I imagine Long Island is so far out they might even have trade winds to play with as well. Kent might be up for the trip.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 08-27-2007 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:43 PM

JP,

Just name the time. even if the wind isn't blowing, i'm sure for $75 we could rent a small boat for spearfishing...

Kent
Old 08-27-2007, 03:48 PM

Rick, If we stick to the 4 hr minimum we could still make Long Island, about 2 hrs out and 2 hrs back. The four hour min is on weekdays, 5 hours on weekends. Kent, the schedule is wide open for September, anything other than a quick 24 hour trip starts to get expensive, say the word and I'll reserve the plane.
JPR
Old 08-28-2007, 10:52 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500EPILOT View Post
Rick, If we stick to the 4 hr minimum we could still make Long Island, about 2 hrs out and 2 hrs back. The four hour min is on weekdays, 5 hours on weekends. Kent, the schedule is wide open for September, anything other than a quick 24 hour trip starts to get expensive, say the word and I'll reserve the plane.
JPR
Good news JP! Maybe would could put something together for September as you suggest. Are you comfortable flying to Long Island? I think there are two strips, Deadman's Cay or LGI, the one in the south may be a bit closer to Dean's Blue Hole.

Thanks!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-28-2007, 03:14 PM

Rick, no problem flying to Long Island, I know the island chain very well all the way to Venezuela, Deadman's is closer but no customs, so we would have to stop in Stella Maris first, just say the word. That blue hole looks intense and the bay it is in might be good for kiting too! I don't free dive but I'll be happy to dive and snorkel if the wind doesn't cooperate, how would the spearfishing be for Kent?
JPR
Old 09-01-2007, 04:34 AM

Wow, killer trip you guys have in mind...
Old 09-04-2007, 08:03 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Sounds great JP. I was talking to Kent, he is up for it as well after the show in Orlando. Could you PM your phone number to me at ricki and I'll give you a call to get things rolling. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEsco48 View Post
Wow, killer trip you guys have in mind...
Should be fun, hope it comes together later on this month after Surf Expo. Happy Birthday btw!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi