FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-24-2010, 06:15 PM

This is my beach. I lived here all my life. I windsurfed the south side of Matheson and this launch long before many of the kiters were even in existance.

Everyone has a right to say this is my beach. You have a big job ahead of you. I know you will represent us and make us proud. We are down to 3 launches and 2 of them are now under formal regulation.

Any plans to get permanent mats down on the rock beach? I would gladly join a club with dues to make that work.

Second. I cant find matching socks in the morning let alone my IKO level 3 card. Can we just show you our Crandon streamer?
Old 05-24-2010, 07:18 PM

I hear you trouble shooter. Being a long time windsurfer myself, I fully understand your concerns. It's a big job, but it has to be done as our access can not sustain any more "parking lot rides". Two of three launches being controlled is better that zero of zero launches being available to ride in my opinion.

Regarding your IKO card. It would be best if you can find it or ask your certifier for another one. We will not simply be able to accept the Crandon streamer given current concerns over actual certification examinations at that venue. I'm sure that it's being done correctly, however our staff's name will be on the card and they respect what it is intended to represent. I need to take my check out as well and will gladly pay the $15 for it. In truth, I think I self rescue about 50% of the time I ride, but I couldn't tell you if I'm doing it properly. I hope I pass!!!

Improvements will be great and we will undertake projects as they are authorized by Park management. I'm sure Mr. West can provide more info on this at the meeting.

PS. In posts above there were some comments with respect to fees, etc. Please read the original post regarding this. There are no mandatory fees for riders that are already level 3 certified. If you choose to opt into the "ticket to ride" program, you may do so at your own discretion.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:58 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Looking forward to the meeting and working to secure access at this launch. The incidents and accidents that Kent witnessed and described have to fade into the past and soon. No launch will persist with that sort of thing going on. The folks at ASM have a plan, it will take time to get it going, but a logical approach is far better than what we have at present. It will take assistance from riders in general and patience. Keep in mind, the current practices about closed the door on kiting here. Lots tried self-enforcement and it should have worked but enough folks ignored this reasonable approach resulting in continued problems. It will take some changes to keep it going, have no doubt about that. The good news is that the changes are focused on keeping kiters here and riding.

Lots of folks have expressed willingness to pay an annual access fee, makes sense to me as well. Despite that ASM isn't proposing access fees currently while investing a ton of cash and effort in getting things set up. So, thanks again to ASM for stepping up to the challenge! I think they deserve both our thanks and help to make this work.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 05-25-2010, 09:36 PM

less is more
Old 05-26-2010, 06:42 AM

Default Iko certification for mathesom hamocks park and crandon park

All riders that need iko level 3 certification can contact me to get it, i have teach many of the local riders .

Iko cards are issued for riders that can go up wind and have knowledge of safety rules.

Price :u$ 15

contact me and if you dont have your IKO card

phone :786-597-262
email: windcamilo@yahoo.com
Camilo Marmol: IKO instructor
www.miamikiteboardinglessons.com
Old 05-26-2010, 08:04 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hey Camilo,

IKO Level III also requires:

Respect right of way rules
Self-rescue and full pack-down in the water
Risk assessment and awareness of the riding area
Self launch
Among other skills and knowledge

http://www.ikointl.com/iko.php?page=...t_menu_area=30

Not sure it is necessary that candidates physically demonstrate all of this but at a minimum should be able to prove they know how to do it. A well written illustrated written exam could cover aspects.

Thanks for jumping in to help raise the bar on quality of instruction and working to keep Matheson open!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 05-26-2010, 08:35 AM

Default New RULES FOR MATHESOM HAMOCKS PARK

http://miamikiteboard.yolasite.com/blog.php

look the new guide lines.

Camilo
Old 05-26-2010, 09:10 AM

Default Iko certification for mathesom hamocks park and crandon park

SURE:

Safety rules means all does you mention plus physicali demonstrate that you can go upwind and be in control all the time.

IKO CERTIFICATION

u$35 - 30 min to be Certify for hammocks riders $ 15

IKO (International Kiteboarding Organization) is the leading global organization that promotes and develops our sport worldwide.

Present in 40 countries, IKO set an International Quality Label that recognizes proper learning Standards for Kiteboarders, as well professional teaching skills and logistic for Instructors and Schools.

We have been certifying students and riders with the IKO card Level for the last 2 years, which allows you to purchase a kitesurfing liability insurance via IKO website.
( for now insurance is now unavaillble for riders)

http://miamikiteboard.yolasite.com/
Old 05-29-2010, 05:27 PM

Default !!!!!!!!!!!!

In order to certify Kiteboarders you must be a Level 2 certified Instructor... You must also hold valid insurance for public liability.

Carlos Sandoval is a fantastic Instructor, he is fully insured by the International Kiteboarding Association and he is a Level 2 Kiteboard Instructor. This means that he can certify students. For a Kiteschool to be advertising as an IKO School and offering IKO standard training and certifications must employ at a Minimum one lead instructor who is level 2 certified.

Adventure Sports Miami and Crandon Park are the only 2 schools that currently offer this.

If you go to http://www.ikointl.com/iko-instructors-water.php you will find a complete list that gives upto date information on Instructor Profiles who are insured and qualified at level 1, 2 or assistant.

If people that are operating as an IKO School and offering certifications then they will be reported to the IKO if they are not using certified Instructor or insurance. This may result in a loss of qualification/recognition.... You guys are the ones that give our sport a bad name and people like me who live this sport will not stand for it!
Old 05-29-2010, 10:19 PM

I dont know either of you but just googled out of curiousity. It kicked back that Level 1 can teach and certify but limited the number of students and kites to work with. It did say liability insurance was required. I cant confirm this since it was only a google search.

Anybody know where the official rule on this is posted. I searched IKO but got lost.