FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-04-2009, 06:41 PM

Exclamation nude beach - Loss of Smathers Beach?!

I just read that some naturists are trying to get Key West to designate an area as a nude beach and some of them think the end of Smathers where we kite is where they think it should be, although I have nothing against nudity, this could cause problems for us. I am currently talking to the city re unrelated kiting ideas,and will let you guys know of any further developments.

Greg

Last edited by ricki; 07-09-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:05 PM

Default Nude Kiteboarding? Ouch

That'll never happen. Key West is trying to attract the family crowd also. Smathers is right on the main thoroughfare from the airport. Can't have all the kiddies staring at saggy breasts now can we? It's not usually the great figured women that nude sunbathe anyway - usually the ones you wouldn't care to see out of their clothing.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:15 PM

Default nude beach

Hey Frank, glad you had some good kiting last week. The naturists originally wanted it to be at Higgs beach, but they have a playground there, the reason they are looking at Smathers is the fact that apart from where we actully launch the beach is out of view from the road, there is also talk of looking into putting up a privacy fence. Some of the guesthouses and at least one commisioner are pushing for a nude beach, so they do have backing, but I do hope that they elliminate Smathers as one of their options. When will you be down again ?

Greg
Old 05-05-2009, 05:14 PM

They already have the Garden of Eden on top of the Bull, what else do they want? Maybe because the Shores is no longer there they feel a need to branch out. Haven't they heard that it is more sexy to conceal than to reveal? I think that if some of the guys started kiteboarding in the nude, it might scare the politicians. Can't not see that from the road! Could give rise (no pun intended) to a whole new category of tricks. Instead of board-off tricks, there could be boardshorts-off tricks.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:14 PM

Default nude beach

good one Frank, it will also give new meaning to "the dangle pass"

Greg
http://www.keywestkiteboarding.com/
Old 05-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I recall they had such a beach there back in the '70's. It was somewhere to the west of the end of Duval. Perhaps just west of the Pier House? It was a whopping 50 ft. wide. Must be something there today, what else do they need? Keep us updated on what goes on Greg. Could raise some interest favoring kiting if necessary.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 05-10-2009, 09:47 PM

The Pier House still has a small section of their beach that is topless.
The Atlantic Shores Resort was the main nude beach/resort until it was torn down to make room for some high price condos. Don't ask me why I know this, I was never there. JUst common knowledge. I don't know what the big attraction is, Never wanted to get my unit sunburned. And I certainly don't want to see 50 and 60ish women's naked bodies (well maybe Christie Brinkley), Maybe when I'm 90. There's a guy that kiteboards on Smathers who wears a speedo. I can cut him a little slack since he's from the "old country", but it still seems out of place. Maybe if he had a Michael Phelps body, but he's got the beer gut and the cottage cheese thing going. If the commissioners saw that maybe they'de take Smathers out of the running.

Seriously, there are a lot of people that hang out just to watch the guys kiteboarding. It attracts a lot of attention - good attention. Tourists with their cameras are all over the place. Sometimes they're so thick, it's hard to launch. The Japanese always want to pose with the kites on the beach. I think it's becoming one of Key West's attractions.

Maybe the Commission could specify that only 20's and 30's women could go nude. And outlaw speedos on men.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg meintjes View Post
good one Frank, it will also give new meaning to "the dangle pass"

Greg
http://www.keywestkiteboarding.com/
Donkey Dick would no longer be just a kiteboarding term. Aside from Mexican sex shows, that is.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:52 AM

Default nude beach

I got your e mail , it does look like we will be getting some wind this weekend, I talked to the city on Thursday and they did not mention anything more to me re the naturists proposal, I think kiteboarding will definately bring more people to Key West and since we were using that part of the beach first, I think we will be able to work out a favourable solution with the city if it comes down to it.

Greg

"Kite The Keys"
Old 05-17-2009, 04:51 PM

Default article re smathers as possible site for nude beach

This is one of the articles that have been published lately, where they mention Smathers beach as a possible location for a nude beach. http://keysnews.com/node/12927

Greg