Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Kiter Fatality, La Ventana, Mexico

I wish her family and friends what comfort they can find at this tragic time. She will be missed.

Quote:
Christina Bockius was in a tragic kiting accident on Tuesday, December 9th in La Ventana, Mexico. She will be transported later this evening to OHSU in Portland, but will not arrive until approximately 2:00am. Her condition is very serious.

There will be a candlelight vigil tonight at 7:00pm at Waterfront Park Beach in Hood River. Please bring candles and your positive thoughts and prayers.

We know that you all want to help. We would like to be sure that Kelly, Sascha and Nina have easy, kid-friendly meals beginning Friday, December 12th.
Quote:
Originally Posted by holly
Dear friends, by now most of you have heard that Christina was in an awful accident. I have attached information about her condition. We are going to have a gathering to send love to her and to help each other out, tonight at the New Waterfront Park at 7pm. Please bring a candle to light for her. Pass this on to all you'd like to as my email list is short. . Much love, Marge

Friends,

I am very sad to write this email; most of you have heard about Christina Bockius by now. She was in La Ventana kiting yesterday when she was had an accident on the beach. No one saw her fall, but it seems like she was lofted in the air and came down on her face. She suffered three cervical spine fractures. C2-5. She was unable to breathe due to having paralyzed breathing muscles. She received CPR and rescue breathing and was transported to La Paz. In La Paz, they found that she has brain swelling; either from the initial trauma or from lack of oxygen due to her paralysis. I have spoken with the Mexican doctor and with Dr Trunkey at OHSU. We have arranged for a med-evac flight out of La Paz to OHSU today.

Her situation sounds critical. The whole situation is unspeakably tragic: sad beyond words. If the information I received from the doctor in Mexico is true, she will be a quadriplegic; this is the best case scenario. The worst case: which is very possible, is that she has permanent brain damage, or that she will die. The critical question is how badly her brain is injured; the report makes it seem pretty severe. Kelly is going to tell his girls this afternoon.

I may not answer my phone, as I have been on the phone with multiple doctors and Kelly's family last night and today. I will send emails updating everyone on the situation; feel free to forward this to whomever.

Brent
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBF
To those who knew and loved Christina: she has died. She was
diagnosed with irreversible brain death this morning at OHSU. Her
body is being kept alive on the ventillator because she has always
wanted to donate her organs. Her final gift to the world will be
giving life to many other people. Her spirit will live on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmoe
Please go to this link to share memories, pictures, and your thoughts of Christina at Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=38933401247

These were posted at: http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-11584-0-asc-0.html

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 12-11-2008 at 08:25 PM.