FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-02-2009, 05:00 PM

Default Grand Cayman getaway

The weather is warm and the wind has been blowin in the Cayman Islands. More and more people are starting to take the 1 hour flight from Miami down to Grand Cayman for short and long getaways from the cold. Steady NE winds, flat water, waves, downwinders, scuba diving, paddleboarding and surfing less than 30 minutes from the airport.

Flights are cheaper these days, no hassle island kiting in uncrowded Caribbean island. Come see why Cayman Islands is an emerging kite hot spot.

For more info contact the Kitehouse, www.thekitehouse.com
Old 02-03-2009, 12:41 PM

heading down to GC from feb 23rd to march 1st. im hoping to have wind at least a few days. what size kite(s) are recommended? whats a good place to rent some sups?

Danny
Old 02-03-2009, 01:27 PM

Wind has been really consistent since Oct, averaging 5-6 days a week of over 15 knots. Should get some days while you are here as the season goes until June.

I weigh about 180 lbs and ride mostly 10m-14m. Most days are around 20 knots, with some stronger days when the trades get enhanced with a frontal system.

Kitehouse has SUP rentals on the East End.

Mike
thekitehouse.com
Old 02-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I second Mike's suggestion for Grand Cayman for a visit. It is a quick flight south from Miami and a well kept island with lots to do. If folks like the flat water of the Keys, East End of Grand Cayman has a nice barrier reef exposed at certain tides to break up the waves. Want waves, no problem, just hop on The Kitehouse Caymans boat, a few minutes later you may have swells. There are bar areas great for routine riding and even better for learning for the first time or ironing out some of those pesky barriers to advancement. Here are some photos from the island. I don't have much in the way of kiting shots, usually going there for free diving before The Kitehouse set up shop there. Hey Mike, do you have some area kiting photos to throw up?

The eastern portion of Grand Cayman. Checkout that massive area of fairly calm water sheltered by the barrier reef. Just go outside and you can have waves and some insanely clear and beautiful wall diving.

A surface view south across the sound inside the reef. You can make out breakers way in the distance.

Want standup paddle boarding, Mike's got you covered as he shows here

There are quite a few ship wrecks in the area both newer ones and those centuries old. Notice how calm it is inside the reef. The teaching area, a large sand bar is nearby.

Home base, Ocean Frontiers, with accommodations, dive shop, kite gear, dive boats, pool for training and just hanging out and more. I think they even have time share units available.

No shortage of water craft to haul you to great kiting, standup and dive spots. It is worth noting that there is substantially LESS dive traffic off East End. Mike took me out for a quick free dive on the wall. Real impressive, canyons, coulees, table top dropoffs and more. There are also shallower reefs to checkout as well. Love that super clear deep blue water!

The dive shop, Mike is in the water so much, he rarely dries out for long

Wrecks out the wazoo, going back years to centuries and all over. I understand that one of these wrecks shown above, a freighter, used to serve lunch on this spot before time and hurricanes brought things closer to sea level.

A public beach in the area

Reefs all over and clear warm water to go with

Ray Hogs?

Lots of wrecks

Mike surfaces, hey even dolphins surface for a puff every once in a while

World famous diving here and so close to Florida

A section of the north shore of Grand Cayman. Note the shallow reef rimmed by the breaker line and all that calmer clear blue water inside. Various areas around the circumference of the island are rimmed by shallow reef containing stretches of sheltered water. When the wind is on, off you go and have fun shredding. You have a choice of riding calmer waters on the inside or hitting the waves on the outside. Or, you could just dive the walls on the outside. Lots of pinnacles, astounding vertical drops and good viz.

There are saltwater caverns and caves as well. Here's the chimney of a swim through in Eden Rock, Grand Cayman. The water is shallow enough to free dive through quite a few of them. At least when you can see the way out from the entrance. Got a lot more video than stills unfortunately but there is this one. There are extensive tunnels and chimneys that riddle the rampart of Palancar Reef off Cozumel. Start with limestone, add acidic water and sooner or later you should get caves.

There are a lot more salt water caverns than well developed caves in some parts. Coral can fabricate caverns and caves under different influences. Shown above is a shallow cavern spilling forth tarpon along the Turtle Reef mini wall on Grand Cayman. Without air exhaust the tarpon just cruise along with you if you go slow. They will even run up on you and join in at times as you approach. Saw quite a few tarpon in caves and caverns there. They hang out in the dim light during the day and they venture out at night to forage. The enclosed environment of caverns and some caves make me feel mellow, how about you

Near East End with more waves on the outside and calmer stuff on the inside

Fun times in the Caymans. Wait until you see the kiting too.

Photos by Rick Iossi

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 02-04-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:28 PM

Rick,

I can't wait!! Booked tickets last night on Cayman airways, direct flight out of Tampa round trip tax tag and title for $297.

I just hope i don't get skunked on the kiting!

Danny
Old 02-04-2009, 04:58 PM

Doesn't look like you will be getting skunked this week, check out our forecast:

http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=74098

Rick, we just had a nice photos shoot today, I will post some of the new images soon.

The Kitehouse Cayman Islands is partnered with Ocean Frontiers Dive shop and does offer fractional ownership of the condos located on site, called Compass Point (www.compasspoint.ky). Better than timeshare, cause you actually own a title to the property. They are in pre-construction for their phase 2 set of condos.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:46 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal8199 View Post
Rick,

I can't wait!! Booked tickets last night on Cayman airways, direct flight out of Tampa round trip tax tag and title for $297.

I just hope i don't get skunked on the kiting!

Danny

Great news Danny, hope you have a great trip down there. That's a nice price for airfare too. I usually rent a car to drive around the island.

Here's a couple of video clips from the island:

This is to show off the wall a bit. These area is about as far from East End as you can get, way off to the NW side of the island. From what I saw with Mike, the wall off East End is even nicer.

This is a wreck of a cable laying barge sunk in about 55 ft. Have a ton of free diving clips, just need to put them together, a slow process for me. NOTE: Free diving wreck and cave penetrations aren't recommended. They are particularly ill advised without a bailout air bottle. Even with that entanglements, silt-outs to zero visibility and hazardous collisions can result

Have fun down there!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 02-05-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:29 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Just added the second video. If you get a chance, drop us a post card from hell if you visit there. It is a strange limestone accretion that someone likened to "hell." Now you can even visit a tourist trap there?!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 02-05-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:14 PM

Default Compass Point, Grand Cayman!

Quote:
The Kitehouse Cayman Islands is partnered with Ocean Frontiers Dive shop and does offer fractional ownership of the condos located on site, called Compass Point (www.compasspoint.ky). Better than timeshare, cause you actually own a title to the property. They are in pre-construction for their phase 2 set of condos.

As Mike mentioned, there is fractional ownership available for poolside, ocean view 1 bedroom luxury condos! Perfect place to for a yearly kite getaway in an emerging kite location.
It's the perfect time to get in!

COMPASS POINT FRACTIONAL OWNERSHIP
  • 1/10TH Fractions Sold in 5 Week Increments
  • As low as 24K for 5 weeks!
  • Titled Ownership (not Timeshare or 99 Year Lease)
  • Low Maintenance Fees ($365/week)
  • Rental Program for Unused Weeks
  • In House Financing
  • Free Unlimited Diving for Cash Buyers* (conditions apply)
  • Developers Guaranteed Buy Back!

Rick's already gone into tons of detail as to what all there is to do here between the kiting, kiting conditions, diving, paddleboarding, snorkeling...
All there in the East End!

I'd just like to add that Compass Point does offer complimentery yoga classes, bike tours, kayaks and more to all guests. You can come here to kite AND so much more. Great option of you're coming with someone who doesn't kite, or if the wind doesn't cooperate. There's still plenty to do!

Compass Point

Current pool. With the second phase there will be a second one with jacuzzi!

Yoga for stretching tired kiting muscles.

A bit blurry, but that's how it goes with the great chilled out full moon party on the beach here!

You can get more information by emailing: britta@compasspoint.ky

I look forward to Mike's post of the images from the photo shoot!
Old 02-06-2009, 10:30 AM

Here are some of the older photos, haven't got the new ones yet. Ok, Here are some new ones,

Last edited by clamike; 02-07-2009 at 09:06 AM. Reason: figured out how to imbed photos (thanks Rick)

Tags
caribbean, cayman, kiteboard, kiteboarding, lessons