FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 03-20-2010, 03:23 PM

Default Hard Lessons Learned

I sincerely hope everyone has been following the closing of Hobie and the causeway down in Miami. It seems everyone knew it was going to happen, but no one would really step in and take action on site. Self policing if you will.

With spring upon us, it is one of those times of the year where we really share space with the public. Spots that come to mind are all of the beaches on the Gulf of Mexico, Honeymoon Island, Dunedin Causeway, Sunset/Howard Park, Cypress Park, Picnic Island, Lassing Park, Northshore Park, and any others that should be noted.

These areas should be policed heavily by those that get on here and care. To piss and moan on the forum is futile. Get out there and do something about it. Take a stand. You all know it is the local experienced rider sometimes that is the biggest problem. Those are the harder situations to deal with. The tourist in tights that simply don't have a clue, are easy to chase away.

We enjoy total access here in the Tampa Bay area. I think that speaks volumes about us as a riding community and should be a model for everyone else. If you are approached by law enforcement, be respectful and diffuse the situation as quickly as possible.

Good luck out there as we enter the best part of our season, but also the riskiest part as well.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:03 PM

Good points Steve.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:44 PM

Default Yes!

Agreed. Let's be proactive and self police each other. I think we do a pretty good job of it already, but there is always room for more.

Spring has sprung and the warm winds of March should be on their way!
Old 03-20-2010, 04:51 PM

your right steve.
it is the experienced riders that are hardest to confront.
the experienced event coordinators are equally hard to confront.
for years many of us have pushed for securing proper permits/insurance for these events.
it's obviously fallen on deaf ears.
perhaps that is why i snapped last week.
so if you plan on doing these events in the future without the permits/insurance...
well then i guess captain caveman is gonna have somtin 2 say.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:04 PM

First off, I don't run the event. The events have been run in the past by Chris Moore and Jayson Orkins. This years event is under the leadership of Chris Moore.

I work for a company that sponsors the event much like Dakine, Slingshot, Cabrinha.

I also volunteer my time to aid in the operation of the event as I appreciate all that event organizers do and know they need help to pull it off.

It might be noted that we approached the park and recreation dept of Clearwater to inquire about a permit. We explained what we were doing and the director of the parks said a permit or insurance was not required.

Same goes for my first race that started at Honeymoon. The Park officials had no problem with us starting the race there and did not require a permit.

Just curious, do you have rider's insurance?

I know caveman have limited skills, but I have always wondered if they have feelings or if they just know how to hunt?

Last edited by Steve-O; 03-20-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:27 PM

chris or whoever.
how bout the other municipalities?
belaire, IRB, north redington, redington beach, mad beach, and TI all said go?
please dont piss on my leg and tell me it's raining
Old 03-20-2010, 07:54 PM

Maybe you should consider that poll. You are the MAN!
Old 03-20-2010, 08:11 PM

Brian....it's a healthy debate and worth talking about.

We are not on those beaches you speak of.

Let's take IRB for instance. The kiters are in the water. Is the city of IRB govern the water? Or is the water under the jurisdiction of some other governing body? Coast Guard, Marine Patrol, Pinellas County Sherrif, Florida Wildlife and Game, all the above?

What is your objective? Do you even know what your talking about?

Do all the sailing Regattas that take place around Clearwater out of the Clearwater sailing center have to pull permits to sail in the Gulf?

For that matter, do Triathletes have to pull permits to swim in the water and compete?

How bout all the skimboard competitions around town? Do they pull permits.

How bout SUP races. Do they have to pull permits?

Do we really want to get the government involved in our sport? Is that where you want to take this?

Bottom line is I don't think we have to pull permits to land kites on the beach at the end of a race.

And as stated, we cleared it with the Parks and Recreation Dept. before hand to start the race at Sand Key and the years ago at Honeymoon.

For what it's worth, I knew you were going to go here. I was already prepared for it.

Somebody else chime in please. We made the effort in the first place to respect the swim zones. That wasn't enough. We then moved the race outside of all buoys, that's not enough. Now permits are requested after park officials said we don't need them.

My guess is we could pull permits for every city and you know what, that won't be enough either. Just state the obvious Brian....you don't want a race in the Gulf. You don't support this great cause. You want more government involded in kiteboarding.

I'm not pissed, just tired of arguing to someone that really doesn't want to look at both sides.

Last edited by Steve-O; 03-20-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:33 PM

see now you really do get it.
it is all about law suites isn't it?
law suits from spring breakers that got whacked by a run away kite cuz how the hell can you watch 16 miles of coastline and be ready to grab a ruaway kite steve? (crickets)
Old 03-20-2010, 08:39 PM

Default personal attacks

Please take all personal attacks some where else. I don't read these forms for drama. My 12 year daughter is enough drama for me.
Thanks,
Robertr