FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

View Poll Results: are kite race organizers correct to allow riding inside no wake zone buoy's
yes 8 38.10%
no 13 61.90%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-15-2010, 07:09 PM

Default Sz vs nwz

ok
lets try this
Old 03-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Can't Re-member

sure, I 'll bite just please, everyone a discussion about Surf Zones and No Wake Zones should be productive in order to accomplish something useful.

Personally , we have no business any where near a surf zone or no wake zone.

We have soo much more mobility than the poor surfers/swimmers/beachgoers stuck in one little area, its not a matter of a sign being posted or not, its a matter of common sense......
Old 03-15-2010, 09:39 PM

Default I ride in the surf

I ride in the surf zone everyday there is wind. I will not stop. I have NEVER been told otherwise by Coast Guard or local police. I have interacted with both on several occasions. They have actually been more interested in how to learn than anything. If there is an occasion where they disapprove, I'll gladly accept the ticket (kind of like speeding on the highway) I don't ride near swimmers. There are almost never swimmers when it's windy and cold, but on the occasional warm day, I stay away. Surfers have always been very cool. I don't get in their way and most enjoy watching ( I also surf, longer than I've kited).
I NEVER fly my kite over people on the beach. I find that irresponsible and just plain inconsiderate. I don't think that I or my friends that do the same are risking access. I don't do races.

And finally... I've done all of this with you BrYan!!???

HR (Hand Rolled)

Last edited by hrpufnstuf; 03-15-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:50 PM

hey bro,, i don't spell it like the eagles do i spell mine br >>y<< an
peace bro
Old 03-15-2010, 11:05 PM

If I recall, No wake zones usuially have a 5 knot speed restriction? I would say to stay outside all marked areas. I would be pissed to see a boat of any sort ripping through a no wake zone at 25 knots wheather there is a wake being thrown or not and I am sure any marine patrol officer or coast guard would not be thrilled either. Not racing this year but either way, they are marked as restricted or regulated areas for a reason due to swimmers, boats at anchor or such. I will look up the exact rule tomorrow in my chapmans book.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:53 AM

Thumbs down Locked Threads are LAME!

Silly question.

Where's the poll asking "Do we need moderators on this forum?"

I would answer NO on both. Remember the surfer kid incident and how much trouble he caused? I do. It doesn't matter if its one kiter or a hundred, we should ALL be 300' from shore especially along the coast. One old bag in ANY of these little towns along the race course could get us banned.

Big R- You and your moderating games are a source of many of the past problems on this forum, and IMO you're not fair enough, and too far detached from the rest of the community to be on the mod squad. Shutting people down only makes things worse, and I think myself and my "characters" over the years have proven that point. Ask any kiter (outside of your click) what's missing from this forum and they'll tell you that its the funny stuff and heated battles of yesteryear that they miss the most. I accept full responsibility for my actions and battles in the past, do YOU?

You really should get a doc to have a look at that itchy trigger finger of yours.... its detrimental to progress and the usefulness of this forum.

Rock on Beezy, you're opinion counts too, whether they like it or not.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:40 AM

Question: Are these marks to indicate a NO WAKE ZONE, NO MOTORIZED ZONE, or a SLOW SPEED ZONE? I think that this makes a difference.

If it's a slow speed zone I think we would have a hard time reasoning that riding inside them is ok. I think No Motor Zones are fully ok as long as we adhere to the rest of the safe riding guidelines. No Wake Zones are pretty grey, but if you stick to the letter of the law, even no wake zones have speed stipulations from what I've read.

I guess that it's a question that your local riders need to agree on. From my understanding if you ride along the coast in your area, many times you are riding in these zones.

Regarding larger events running down the coast, I'd suggest that starting them before 10 a.m. would probably minimize the issues during this time of year.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:18 PM

http://www.boat-ed.com/fl/course/p4-...soperation.htm

Chapter 4: The Legal Requirements of Boating
Unlawful Operation of a Vessel
Florida law states that it is unlawful to operate a vessel in a reckless or dangerous manner. Specifically, the law designates the following dangerous operating practices as illegal.

Reckless or Careless Operation of a vessel or manipulation of water skis, aquaplanes, or similar devices is the failure to exercise the care necessary to prevent the endangerment of life, limb, or property of any person. Some examples are:
Boating in restricted areas without regard for other boaters or persons, posted speeds and wake restrictions, diver-down flags, etc.
Failing to follow the navigation rules
Improper Speed is operating at speeds greater than posted speeds and that are not reasonable and prudent based on boating traffic, weather conditions, visibility, or other potential hazards. If no limits are posted, you should operate a vessel so that it does not endanger others. Vessel speed always should be maintained so that the vessel can be stopped safely. Specifically, it is illegal to:
Operate at a rate of speed that endangers the life or property of any person.
Operate at greater than "idle speed, no wake" in a posted "no wake" zone.
Exceeding Maximum Loading or Horsepower is the failure of a vessel operator to ensure that their vessel is loaded safely and not overpowered. Florida law prohibits a person from operating a monohull vessel less than 20 feet in length while exceeding the maximum weight, persons, or horsepower capacity as displayed on the capacity plate installed by the vessel manufacturer.
Riding on the Bow, Deck, or Gunwale is allowing passengers to ride on the bow, gunwale, transom, seat backs, seats on raised decks, or any other place where there may be a chance of falling overboard.
Remember ...
As an owner of a vessel, you may be responsible if you allow others to operate your vessel in violation of Florida law.
The operator is responsible for his or her vessel's wake and any damage or personal injury it may cause.

Boating Regulatory Zones
On Florida waterways there are signs restricting boat speed. Florida regulates boat speeds in certain areas either for protection of manatees or for boating safety purposes. It is important that boat operators look for signs, understand what they mean, and abide by the speed regulations. Here are the most common signs.

"Idle Speed, No Wake" Zone:
A designated area where vessels must be operated at a speed no greater than that which is necessary to maintain steerage and headway. The vessel should not produce a wake at this speed.

"Slow Speed, Minimum Wake" Zone: Areas where vessels must be fully off plane and completely settled in the water. Any wake created by a vessel in one of these zones must be minimal (very small). If your vessel is traveling with the bow even slightly elevated while in one of these zones, it is not proceeding at “Slow Speed” as required by law.

Maximum 25 MPH, 30 MPH, and 35 MPH Speed Zones: Controlled areas within which a vessel must not exceed posted speed.

Vessel Exclusion Area: An area marked with a vertical diamond shape with a cross in the center that indicates all vessels or certain classes of vessels are excluded from the area.

(What class of vessel is a kiteboard????) Obviously a sailing vessel. But most sailing vessels don't create a wake.

---------------------------------

Then I found this blurb @ http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...0327/Sec46.HTM

3. An ordinance establishing a vessel-exclusion zone if the area is reserved exclusively:

a. As a canoe trail or otherwise limited to vessels under oars or under sail.

b. For a particular activity and user group separation must be imposed to protect the safety of those participating in such activity.

"The biggest drawback of kiteboarding is the adverse effects it has on getting anything else done."
Old 03-16-2010, 02:09 PM

Actually a kiteboard is not a vessel at all and does not require FL numbers or other stipulations required of other vessels.

The speed requirements seem binding, however we do not though a wake. Swim Zones are well defined and totally exclude us, but it would sure make it easier if the other marks were No Motor Zones. I guess that if you ride the coast and you want to turn on a wave occasionally, everyone on that beach is likely breaking the law to some extent.

Simply staying 300 yards (too far in my opinion, 2 kite line lengths seems reasonable) away should suffice as long as people are not endangered and laws are not broken. I guess we need clarification on the second part.

So does anyone know what the marks really are? Bayflight?
Old 03-16-2010, 02:14 PM

PS. I also think that the pole should read "should any kiter be allowed to ride inside the No Wake Zone" I'm not sure of the distinction between racers and kiters. If anything, those racing are far more aware of obstacles in the water and have been warned as such. Freeriders are often far more into relaxed riding and probably not as aware of their surroundings. It's probably different for everyone, but I know that this is true for me.