FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Tom Stock

awesome!
Old 05-12-2008, 11:11 PM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
Let's hope this isn't the scene at Sunset Beach next year when Howard Park gets shutdown and the windsurfers

Steve, you are actually confirming that fred howard is going to shut down on windsurfing activities starting next year?

Can you provide a link?

Old 05-13-2008, 01:04 AM

Thumbs up

We have a local who works there! They are closing for repairs and there's a thread on here somewhere with the info and discussion.
TBKA had previously alerted AWSI and USwindsurfing of this closure, in our effort to bridge the gap in relations with windsurfers and other water users, they may be able to offer some assistance in opening the park to kiters again.It is going to get quite crowded with the most popular windsurf spot closing, so we believe that acting now to better relations is the best approach. We could use help in this effort, especially from former windsurfing kiters, and will be discussing this at the upcoming meeting.
One suggestion was to create "Windsurfing Has Been Reinstated" "Windsurfing is REAL" and "Windsurfing is Awesome" bumper stickers.
These are some awe inspiring ideas, I am sure there's a plethora of others out there- multi-sport comps, cleanups, parties, clinics?
Let's hear them, wind sports fans!
Old 05-13-2008, 02:01 AM
Skyway Scott

Definitely staying positive.

I like some of those ideas Steve and hope to be at that meeting.
I would love (Steve and I discussed this and like the idea) to cooperate with a local(s) who would like to become a "historian". This is basically what RickI does an excellent job of state-wide. My vision is to have someone who would like to keep in touch with all the positive "goings on" in our community. They (more than one person is great) would talk to people, get photos (themselves or off of people) and then write an "article" once a week or 2 weeks or so.

I would then upload it to the new site that is being built http://www.tbka.org/
in a blog type format (time line oriented) to document all the great stuff around here. We have had a lot of good things happen just recently with Bill, Mike, ... the list is long. I think it would be great to start documenting this.

This serves to boost our moral, give shout outs, and in times of need, if it comes to it, the site could serve as "proof" of all the good going on around here.

So, anyone that is interested, please let me know.
Any and every article written for the site will have the author's name and date next to it with a link to wherever they want.

This is not a thing for me to make money off of, zero is the actual total.
But, I never do anything w/o a reason. I am hoping it might boost moral and in so doing, ultimately preserve access.

I will be pimping the site itself to clients, so... I am not against a little kite pimping (little) if it gets good stuff up on a site that is positive and contributes.

I hope I get a few volunteers. We could do podcasts, videos, just write articles with pics. There really are no limits, whatever you guys think up can be put on the site.

Currently the site is as bare bones as a site can get. It will grow, like a virus.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:37 AM
Tom Stock

Thumbs up

I would recommend a sticker that BOTH wind surfers and kite boarders would want to use... so there is a tie between the two groups, even if it's just a sticker. Something more generic with a picture of both a wind surfer and a kite boarder.

"Wind Powered"
"If it's blowing I'm going"
"Knot working"
"Riding the Wind"
"Florida Wind Boarder"
"Just Blow Me" (sort of kidding with this one)

Not the best examples but hey I tried!
Old 05-13-2008, 06:52 AM

Default re: bumper/window stickers

it is great to see you trying to bridge the gap with windsurfers

I have not been up to WSW in a while but if they still have any of those "Windsurfing Has Been Cancelled" stickers maybe Steve O can get them tossed in the garbage - they pissed off and still piss off lots of windsurfers

anyway, kudos to you guys

OS
Old 05-13-2008, 07:23 AM

Looks like a stunt gone bad to me IMHO. Not to take away from the fact the kiters should leave windsurfers and surfers with a safe distacnce between them.

Keep it positive.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:19 AM
Tom Stock

Try to be more positive BigG! I didn't see a thumbs up on that post!

great job guys!
Old 05-13-2008, 08:57 AM
Skyway Scott

With the green revolution all over the place, what about something that taps into that? Something catchy but that says we don't abuse the environment or are powered by Mother Nature. Tom's wind driven is pretty close.

Or, maybe something to do with the Beaufort scale, since all wind sports depend on it (having some good Beaufort anyway).

"Got Beaufort?" with an artistic impression of wind, maybe.
"Got Wind?"
"Have you been Winded Lately?"

"Rust in the Wind" for us old guys.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:19 AM

If its Windy or Wendy's, Scott's in love.