FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-23-2010, 08:33 PM

Default StringRays At The Skyway

Today I went out there to ride backside and there were at least a couple hundred stringrays! Is it mating season? There were guys showing up and then leaving at the sight of the rays. I took a short a ride over to eb, because the wind was blowing! Couldnt hold back from getting wet. But is this normal this time of year?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:05 PM

Default cool

That seems pretty cool barring any stings! I usually start seeing them when it starts to warm up but not sure on any scientific local patterns. A couple hundred seems pretty unusual. Could be cool to kite over as long as you stay on top of the water!
Old 03-23-2010, 11:28 PM

Yeah, they're cool to ride over but not fun to get hit by one of them. There are 2 predominant species that I see here...the devil rays with a barb on their whip tail that burrow into the bottom and are hard to see, and the spotted rays which are "pelagic" with barb closer to the body, and swim more actively (perhaps less dangerous, but they can still get you). Both members of the shark family I believe - and preyed on by other sharks.

wow, I'm surprised at the sighting since the water has been so cool. Maybe the el Nino is throwing their migration off too. Normally I don't see many until early April, but I guess we are almost there. And yes, I think it is mating season soon.

FYI to all-
Watch where you step. If you get hit you need to get some hot water on the wound ASAP to denature the toxin and kill the pain. I would also suggest a visit to the doctor to make sure you don't have any broken stinger bits inside your foot/leg. You would not be unwise to start a course of antibiotics.

I got stung at Lassing Park a few years ago while doing a lesson (mid-April) and my foot became badly infected because I kept going back into the water day after day - You need to let it heal completely or risk complications.

When I was in the OBX last May we were doing a downwinder from Hatteras Village to Frisco and one of the guys got hit while riding, which was surprising.

If anyone knows more about these creatures, their habits, etc, I'd love to hear it.
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas
Old 03-24-2010, 06:55 PM

I also saw a handful at Cypress a couple weekends ago, definitely made sure I was on top of the water over them!
Old 03-24-2010, 07:54 PM

The rays schooled up that you are kiting over are the common cow nose ray. You need not fear them. The do have a short barbed bone at the base of their tail but you would have to stick yourself on it to feel any pain, and it is compaired to a bee sting, not at all like the common sting ray that sits on the bottom then gets stepped upon then wacks you with the big painful wound described. If you encounter a group of these graceful creatures in the wild take the time to enjoy what you are getting to see, as few get to see these schools in tact because they usually break up or sink out at the sound of a boat. I have had the pleasure of seeing schools the size of a football field outside of east beach in the spring and early summer. They are very graceful and all move together in the school. Very cool experience to be blessed with.