FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 05-30-2008, 09:59 PM
Skyway Scott

Default Lassing Park... no go for night riding

I was approached tonight at exactly 10 pm by a police officer.
I was in my truck and had just gotten done riding Lassing. There were still a few guys riding and a few out in the grass hanging out.

We weren't making any noise, were very far North, etc. In other words, we were as good as we get in terms of where we parked/noise and stuff.

Long story short - the police officer told me we can't ride in there (Lassing) after sunset anymore and that she is going to start writing tickets for people who are still in the park after dark. She gave us 15 minutes to clear out tonight, but said that courtesy would not be offered again after tonight.

She said she was getting complaints by neighbors.
Unfortunately, it is the law there that we have to be out by sun set.
Unfortunately, if a couple of neighbors call and complain, she is in a position as an officer to enforce the law.

My "read" on her is that she really wishes we had listened to her warnings in the past, and doesn't know what else to do but write us tickets in the future, should we show up. She didn't seem like she was on some power trip or hating us... she just seemed pinned up against the wall.
If we keep showing and these rich neighbors call her boss... that doesn't do her much good as an officer.
I am pretty certain she will write tickets next time, no warning.

I have actually been riding North Shore park lately, since the last time I personally saw a cop out there at Lassing about a month ago. I couldn't ride NSP tonight because of 'Taste of Pinellas'.

Anyway, you guys can do what you want. This post is information based. Do with the info what you want.
It would be pretty irresponsible to not post this. She made a point of telling me I should let as many kiters know as possible, since she will write tickets, no questions or warnings next time. She actually told me she has warned people several times in the last few weeks. (I wouldn't know for sure, I haven't been out there).

I plan on never riding Lassing at night again, it's not worth the ticket to me when I can ride an equally good spot right around the corner that doesn't close until 11pm.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:36 AM

Thumbs up Somebody's knockin'...

Although we can't ride at night anymore at Lassing Park, the home owners over there don't hate us!! (WooHoo!)
TBKA has a great opportunity coming up to build relations with the Homeowner's Association and surrounding neighbors, please stay tuned on the TBKA forum!
We NEED the help of ALL Tampa Bay locals to sign up with TBKA and become active in the preservation of our launch sites and maintaining safe kiting practices.

www.tbka.org

Last edited by TBKA; 06-02-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:29 PM

Reposting this from Laura on TBKA to share some positive news:
This post is a continuation from a previous thread that started under the "no night riding at Lassing"
I spoke with Sandee who is head of the Old SE neighborhood association. The Police are regularly searching Lassing after dark as they have had problems with homeless people setting up camp and having sex in the park. The park closes "AT DARK" and I hope all Kiters respect that rule so that we keep Lassing open for all Kiteboarders. Sandee is not aware of any neighbors complaining about the kiteboarders at Lassing, in fact she says that everyone is really intrigued by them. She was happy to hear that I joined TBKA as she was looking for a contact with the Kiteboarders. The Old SE neighborhood association is starting to organize a yearly fundraiser / fair where local organizations/businesses can rent a table to share their product/services. I'm not sure the details on the cost but it would probably be around $50-100 for the table. I shared this info with Steve and he suggested maybe a Kiteboarding demonstration and possibly some trainer kites to let people try. I know I'm new to this community but from all the banning problems that I've been hearing about I think this type of involvement would be a great opportunity to befriend the community.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:32 PM

Thumbs up

This is one of the main reasons this association was assembled, to better relations in the community and to prevent bans. This is an outstanding chance to meet the association and neighbors of one of our spots, and may build their interest in having kiting activities at the park.
Hopefully the ones who havent joined will now see the benefits of working together as a team, and start supporting the efforts of TBKA and its volunteers.
Please take a few minutes to support our efforts, sign up now!
www.tbka.org
If you would like to volunteer for this event, please contact:
Steve Sadler (813) 389-3683