FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-04-2008, 07:45 PM

Thumbs up TBKA General Membership Meeting

After only 1 month in its existence, TBKA is getting off the ground! Our goals are to preserve access, promote safe kiting, and build goodwill in the community through organized clean-ups, exhibitions, clinics, and contests. The leadership team of TBKA has been busy laying the groundwork for a legitimate, membership based, association and are pleased with its progress. After several successful leadership meetings, we are holding our first general membership meeting Saturday, May 10th at 8:00 PM (Location TBA).

Meeting agenda:
  • introduce the leadership team
  • discuss several upcoming summer events
  • open the floor for local kiters to speak about what they would like to see from TBKA in the upcoming season.

This association will operate under the guidance of this leadership team until elections are held for a Board of Directors after Jan. 1, 2009.
  • The meeting will last approximately 1 hour, and discussion of each topic will be brief, leaving more time for open floor discussion.
  • We ask that all local instructors attend this meeting- Please arrive 1 hour before meeting (7:00 PM)to discuss some great news for instructors.

With the help of Tampa Bay local, Scott Fears , we now have a website, forum, and Wiki launch sites pages! The forum was created to provide public information about kiteboarding in Tampa Bay, and to communicate between association leaders and members. In the first 30 days, we had over 9,000 page views, averaging around 300 per day! With over 50 members signing up in the first month, I think its safe to say that there's a lot of concerned kiters out there who agree that a unified approach can help preserve our sport and keep our beaches safe!

This forum will also be used as an online voting tool for general members on certain issues, Your input and participation is encouraged in this process. Please sign up if you want your voice and vote to be heard.

http://tbka.org/forum/index.php

See you all at the meeting!

-Team TBKA
Old 05-06-2008, 10:48 PM

Default Change of date

We have gotten several emails, calls, and PM's from ones who can not attend the meeting. Its Mother's Day sunday and a busy weekend for all of us, so we are postponing the meeting until Saturday May 17. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Some of us had already planned to get together afterwards, so we will be having a little house warming/kiter-party at my place. We will be breaking in the new grill with some goodies from Shaner's, let us know if you're coming!
Call or PM for directions
Steve (813) 389-3683

Please visit http://tbka.org/forum/index.php for current info on association activities.
Thanks to everyone for their interest and support!
See you next Saturday!
Old 05-15-2008, 08:02 PM

Thumbs up

The meeting is on for Sunday May 18 at 8:00 PM at:
Applebee's Neighborhood Grill
5110 E Bay Dr, Clearwater, FL 33764
(Located just west of 66th St. in Tri City Plaza)
727-539-6388
This is our first general membership meeting.
We hope to see EVERYONE there and look forward to hearing your ideas!
Meeting from 8:00-9:00 PM on SUNDAY
See you all there!
Old 05-17-2008, 07:03 AM

Thumbs up

Another reminder to EVERYONE-please attend this meeting!
Also please sign up at the TBKA forum/website at http://www.tbka.org/
Scott has been tweaking the website and its looking really nice! Please let us know if you would like to contribute articles, pics, or info to the site. It is created for YOU!
Thanks Scott, you ROCK! Thanks for all your hard work!
See you guys at Applebee's on Sunday night.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:28 AM
Skyway Scott

No problem. I had a lot done, then it crashed and I had to start over... ughh... lol. I won't make that mistake of not backing up again.

Anyone that would like to submit an article on the site under 'Local Happenings', just let me know. Soon I hope to have it so it is possible for anyone to login to the site and be able to publish to any section using a WYSIWIG editor, pretty much exactly like on a forum. For now, I can easily publish it myself if you give me an email/PM of the article and some pics. The article will show yourself as the author, like here.

My reasoning for wanting as many positive 'articles' of almost any kind on the TBKA site dealing with kiting or kiters is to eventually build a repository to show off the good deeds and unity among the community. I think this could do lots of good for lots of reasons. One is that it might help us know one another and come together more easily. Two, and for me the most pragmatic, is that it can become a place that shows off the positive energy of the local kiting community should we make the news for the "wrong reason". One of the goals of TBKA is to preserve access. Having a positive site that puts faces on our local riders doing good things can only help if we are ever in "trouble" I think. The more we document the positive, the better.

Also for these articles, it doesn't have to be purely kiting related and you don't have to be a member of TBKA to post to the TBKA website. If you ride within 60 miles of the Skyway Bridge, you are part of the local community. It'd be nice to have as many members as possible in TBKA, but this site won't exclude you if you are not a member. That pretty much goes against the idea of building community.
Good stuff is good stuff and the site and the kiting community can benefit from it.
More than 60 miles away... ah.. who cares. Let's post it
Again, one big goal of the site is to have good vibes go up for us and to show others.

I would also like to have a section where anyone that sees us ride and truly enjoyed it, can sign in and say so, if they wish.
How many times have you had a person say they had taken pics of you that day and wanted to send them to you or really enjoyed watching you?
Well if they seem pretty pumped up about seeing you, maybe they will sign in to the "Good vibes" journal and just post that they enjoyed watching you ride. If they took pics, they can upload them on the site.
It's gonna take me a day or two to figure out how to do that, but it can be done.

It might sound cheesy, but in terms of good will and putting on a good face for us, imagine (in a year or so) if we had a page with a hundred or more such postings from onlookers about how they enjoyed watching us ride.
It can't hurt and it might help.

Any ideas about how the website can help our kiting community are more than welcome.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:28 AM

Great meeting! We discussed the successful event at MBMS, plans for summertime events, and many ways to build interest in this association.After a breif review of our goals and accomplishments, the meeting turned into an idea-fest among everyone.
The TBKA survey was distrubuted to all attendees at the meeting, and we hope to make this available online soon to simplify the process. If you are a local kiter to the Tampa Bay area, please complete this survey.
Thanks to everyone who came out!
See you on the beach!
Old 05-19-2008, 08:46 AM

Take a look at SurveyMonkey.com
Old 05-19-2008, 01:38 PM

Thanks Paul! We agreed at the meeting that online communication is much easier and convenient for all involved. We had kiters from many different areas- many of whom kited all day, raced home to shower, and back to Pinellas County for the meeting. At this point, much of the discussion can take place online, saving gas, riding time, and family time. Scott has made all of this quite easy to use, even for computer illiterate guys like me!

The surveys purpose is to get a head count of local kiters,( guesstimates anyone?) and establish an email list of members. We will try to get the survey online soon, but in the meantime, take a minute or two to fill it out on the beach with a TBKA volunteer, so we can begin assembling this info into something useful. Many of the things we are planning can't happen without an accurate count of who will show up, so an email confirmation is a simple way to help us plan events.

All Tampa Bay locals:
Please take a few minutes to sign up on the TBKA website/forum. We are asking everyone to use their real first name and last initial as your username (example Steve S.) and a legitimate email address. This will help us maintain the integrity of the information on the site.
Your info is confidential and is for association purposes only.
Thanks for your help!
Here's the link:
http://tbka.org/forum/index.php