FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 06-26-2007, 08:54 PM

Default New in SE Florida

Hi,
I have been posting some questions few months back in relation to where should I settled down in Miami area for good kiting.

Well, I just arrived in Miami Beach and I am working at MIA. I had some very good kiting few weeks ago at Crandon before I flew to France.

Crandon looks to be closed for the season (?) and I guess I missed a good session tonight. Where are you guys heading out these days? Matheson? or just Miami beach?

Thanks for sharing.
Hopefully see you out there!

Tony
Old 06-26-2007, 09:20 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Welcome to Florida Tony. Yes, Crandon is closed for the time being. Matheson is open but likely crowded when wind is on. Virginia Key was recently closed to kiting but with luck we might be able to get it reopened. Miami Beach has spots ideally away from guarded areas. The good and bad news is, the main wind season has ended. Some indications suggest that this off season may not be quite as "off" as others. We've had rideable conditions several times over the last week or so. Just got in from a late session tonight. Be sure to tune into to wx reports and radar imagery. The squalls are plentiful this time of year and conditions can change rapidly.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 06-26-2007, 09:58 PM

Thanks Rick!
Just for my info where was the good stuff at tonight?

I would have bet on Crandon but...

87th st?

As I used to in Seattle I am relying on Ikitesurf but maybe when it is windy in Miami, it blows the same all over???

Thanks
Tony
Old 06-27-2007, 06:49 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I live and ride two counties to the north of you. A summary of last nights uneven weather appears at: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=4220 The wind can be similar in the two areas but can just as easily be different. Right now thermal winds can suddenly pop up but also can be specific to narrow areas of the coast. This tropical wave moving over us currently may be bringing winds to larger sections of coast. That in addition to probable nasty squalls. I am not sure if you have storms outside of winter in Seattle. Supposedly not in Northern California close by. They are a significant reality here particularly now with tropical systems and afternoon thermal squalls. The leading edge of cold fronts the rest of the year can have squall lines. If you know what to look for they aren't that hard to avoid while grabbing wind. One approach to weather planning appears in the fourth post down at:
http://fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12

ikitesurf is ok for real time winds but next to useless for forecast in our area. They don't have any meteorologists checking the computer generated forecasts here unlike some other areas in the country. For marine and land forecasts, radar and sat imagery in our area I prefer:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mfl/

This site also does pretty well for forecasts:

http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=79092

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 06-27-2007, 08:14 PM

Thanks for sharing the info Rick.
Tony