FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-10-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoarder View Post
I talked to Julian a kiter from Pensacola and he said that his beach is covered and it will be a long time before it is ever ridable in his waters.
This sucks.
I checked all over the net and news and can't find any instance of oil or tarball on pensacola. Hope this is still the case.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleshooter View Post
The time to act is not after your beaches turn black, but while they are still white.
Good point.
About 4 years ago, a few St. Pete kiters began looking into a membership-type org. for kiting, and then discovered the unlimited potential and benefits of a broader mission, which happens to include "environmental action" to support beach cleanups, launch site improvements, and increased access for kiting.

In short, this effort resulted in a multi-sport, multi-purpose public charity, that's structured to support local kiting associations to help address some of the problem areas of our sport (mainly safety, access, events, and public perception), as well as to keep it rolling thru the non-windy months with our other sports.
Our connection to kiting will be through our soon-to-be kiteboarding division, Kite4Life, which is yet to be laid out by its future members.
While it may seem overly complicated to some, its a suitable framework, will allow kiters to build a true "By Kiters, For Kiters" org, and (best of all!) leaves no room for bitching or moaning about anything, even for well experienced hecklers like myself...
Back to the oily mess:
If we were already "on the same page" and working together, we'd able to secure and distribute funding to help clean up launch sites wherever its needed.
While I do not claim to know a thing about cleaning up oil, I do know that NOAA awards grants up to 250,000 per year, plus thousands of other federal, state, and local grants available for the environment. Charlie Crist is already holding onto 25 mil of the BP Cleanup Fund specific to this cleanup.
Showing a positive impact over a wide geographical area is paramount to obtain most of these (and other types of) grants, hence the need for kiters to establish a network of local associations.
The majority of the framework is almost ready to rock, but it still boils down to all of us working together to make it click.

Stop by tonight if you're in the area or check back soon for updates.
Our Facebook Cause page: http://www.causes.com/causes/402934/about?m=9f7d514c
Steve (813) 389-3683

Last edited by Kiteboarding Tampa Bay; 05-10-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Rega

Default Oil Escape

Headed out of the oil smell to the East Coast near Stuart--anybody know some great launches over there??
Old 05-11-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal8199 View Post
I checked all over the net and news and can't find any instance of oil or tarball on pensacola. Hope this is still the case.
I talked to him 2 days ago and he said that there was small amounts all over his beach and there is an island that is off shore that is all ready receiving big chunks. I am sure that they are not wanting to make it big news that there beaches are being destroyed.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:10 AM

We've been lucky in Panama City so far. It's weird seeing the booms laying in wait. They are all in position to be pulled across the mouth of our bays and inlets. Our local tourist council is creating all sorts of vacation "guarantees" for people who have made summer reservations at condos and vacation rentals. They are doing their best to encourage people to keep their plans. My parents live in Navarre, which is slightly East of Pensacola, and so far, those beaches are clear.
I know it is very sad for all the people who rely on the Gulf for their livelihood, but those of us who live here simply for the quality of life are not being recognized. If it weren't for the beaches,fishing, boating, etc.... the Florida Panhandle would be a dead zone to full-time residents.
This is such a tragedy!
Old 05-11-2010, 08:47 AM

Unhappy

I agree, what a tregedy. Honestly it is very sad to hear about this on the news everyday. In the meantime the three companies involved in this mess are just blaming each other while 240,000 gallons of crude are being send into the Gulf every day!!!! Lets do some math 240,000 X 21 = 5,040,000 gallons. Which is the equilvalent of each of us living in the Greater Tampa Bay area putting a gallon into the Gulf.

Google maps is now trackng the oil spill.

http://maps.google.com/maps/mpl?modu...t=google&hl=en

Last edited by Erick; 05-11-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:57 AM

Classic....blame game

WASHINGTON (AP) -- BP PLC told Congress Tuesday its massive Gulf oil spill was caused by the failure of a key safety device made by another company.

In turn, that company says BP was in charge, and that a third company that poured concrete to plug the exploratory well didn't do it right. The third company, which was plugging the well in anticipation of future production, says it was only following BP's plan.

The blame game shot into the open Tuesday as the Senate began a hearing into the oil spill that has been contaminating water in the Gulf of Mexico for three weeks and threatens sensitive marshes and marine life from Louisiana to Texas.

Executives of the three companies, all scheduled to testify before the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, are trying to shift responsibility for the environmental crisis to each other, according to prepared testimony.