FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-18-2007, 04:28 PM

Default New guy saying hi

Hi everyone.

I'm new to this sport, and the west palm area. Just moved from miami, and took a few lessons last year from Stefan @ south Florida kiteboarding. Unfortunately due to time, and other pressing issues, I wasn't able to buy gear and/or get out in the water more than the 3 days of lessons, but loved it. We took a boat out to some flats in biscayne bay. I got up a few times for some decent rides, but nothing notable. We went over all the basics and emergency procedures, but I'm looking to take more lessons anyways.

What would be a good beginner kite for the area? I'm 6'1 180lbs.

Any highly recommended schools in the area? I live in Boca raton.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:58 PM

Default hello

welcome
kites are like anything else everyone has there own opinion and style. season is about to start my primiary kite well be a 12m omega, right now I'm useing a 14 contra. try before you buy. I personally like the cabrinah kites.

look up clamike, he runs a good operation in miami(kitehouse miami) and jeremy at jupiter kiteboarding. either of them well do you right.

kevin
________
Web Shows

Last edited by kabo123; 08-11-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:10 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I am in Boca Raton as well, welcome to Palm Beach County. For learning Kabo has some good suggestions. You may recall how calm things were down on Biscayne Bay. While you are still learning, the lack of waves can really speed things along.

Regarding kites, something around 12 m may be the most common kite size you use in the coming wind season. Then again there will be days with something 16 m would be more like it and just as likely you'll need something closer to 9 m for the stronger days. Still, for learning 12 m isn't a bad size to start with accepting that you'll want to sit out the stronger days anyway until you have more time at it.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 09-19-2007, 07:33 AM
ruffridah89

welcome aboard!
Old 09-19-2007, 11:54 AM

Talking

Hey stoney, how goes it mate. Theres a ton of kites out there to choose from if you get a chance you should stop by kite beach in Ft.Lauderdale and talk to Neil at tiki beach, hes the Slingshot rep and would happily give you some info on the new rev and t-2 both incredible kites and if im not mistaken a couple hundred dollars cheaper then the cabrina. If anything stop by and say hi its a great lil kiteboarding community.

[img]
Old 10-01-2007, 09:32 PM

Kabo, ricki, oc, and kiwi : Thanks for the feedback and words of encouragement. been working 70 hour weeks, so forgive my delay in response. I DID take this week off, so I'm going to call around, shop around, and I'll let u all know how it goes. I'll definitely check out Ft. Lauderdale and jupiter the next time I'm up there. I'll be seeing some of u soon I'm sure
Old 10-02-2007, 12:01 PM

Good Stuff Man, Be Safe And Have Fun No Doubt.

[img]