FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

CLICK BANNER TO GO TO DONATION SITE AND FOR UPDATES ON KEVIN'S PROGRESS

Let's dig deep for donations and help Kevin out!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Kitesurfer doesn't remember his brush with Fay
By Rafael A. Olmeda | SunSentinel.com
9:19 AM EDT, August 22, 2008

Fort Lauderdale - Kevin Kearney remembers heading out to Fort Lauderdale beach Monday afternoon. He remembers kite surfing.

As for the harrowing moments when he was caught by a wind gust from Tropical Storm Fay, dropped into the sand, picked up and slammed into a nearby restaurant?

"I don't actually remember it happening," said Kearney, 28, in a telephone interview this morning.

Kearney was released from Broward General Medical Center Thursday. He said he got "some stitches in my head" and some body aches but otherwise felt OK, and lucky. "I'm glad I don't hurt that bad," he said.

Kearney said he hadn't been able to engage in kite surfing for a couple of weeks before Monday because winds were weak. He is an experienced kite surfer who has taught the sport to others in the Florida Keys, his mother, Alicia Paradise-Garza, said Tuesday.

Tropical Storm Fay, which was approaching and then striking the Keys on Monday, looked like a good opportunity to take advantage of some wind.

Lifeguards had advised Kearney and other kite surfers to leave the beach because of threatening weather, and they were complying, said Fort Lauderdale Fire-Rescue Lt. Gio Serrano. Kearney came ashore south of Las Olas Boulevard and was preparing to take off his equipment when the wind suddenly kicked up.

"I guess I caught an updraft of the wind," Kearney said.

Video taken by a television news crew shows the wind caught Kearney and whipped him off the ground too quickly for anyone to do anything other than stare in shock.

When he first saw the video, Kearney thought, "That's interesting. I don't remember that."

Right now, Kearney said he's "feeling fine; a little tired. I ache a lot."

Staff Writers Joel Marino and John Holland contributed to this report.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...,7581878.story

It is a common enough thing with head impacts to lose memory around the accident. Keep on healing there Kevin.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-22-2008, 10:55 PM

Thumbs up

Get well soon Kevin.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:27 PM

Smile kevinkite.org donations

I have decided to donate the money given to me from that donation website to a kite-beach cause.

I have received almost enough from tv coverage (one of which I don't remember) to pay my medical bills.

Anyway I would like the money to go toward setup costs for a new kite beach or toward costs associated with existing kite beaches.
I am unfamiliar with costs and processes, which is why I am posting to find where I should donate. If there is a better kite cause than I have suggested I am open to change it. Looking for something simple that will help the sport.

Thanks everyone hopefully my attempt to justify any negative impact is well received.

Recovery was fast but I'm still a little slow to remember things, still don't remember that day. I had some interesting finds which lead me to believe a bridle pulley connected to leading line on my 9m trix broke while I was 25 feet in the air. (pulley was missing after the accident but the bridle lines were still in-tact and connected to kite)

To my friends who were supportive thanks its been a mentally tough trip.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:56 AM

www.kb4c.org

Old 11-22-2008, 07:37 AM

Kevin glad you are recovering.

Just trying to understand, you are not blaming the pulley are you? You do understand that was your fault for being in such bad weather. Just want to make sure this is not blamed on a kite and give people the wrong impresion.

Again, i am glad you survived, i just hope lessons were learned , you were lucky.

Aloha
Old 11-22-2008, 09:14 AM

no I am not blaming the kite I am probably lucky to fall on the sand after the big gust rather than being taken higher. Just putting pieces together man
Old 11-22-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John- View Post
Nice this is the first time I've seen this fundraiser I like it
Old 11-24-2008, 08:09 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Glad you're feeling better Kevin. It is normal for people that have had a head bashing and memory loss to wonder what happened. In your case there has been a lot of information generated tying down some of the loose ends. Time heals most things, keep at it. Lots of us have supported www.kb4c.org over the two years they have been around. The organization is plugged into a number of main stream cancer charities. Good suggestion John.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-25-2008, 01:12 PM

Angry

First off I am glad you have recovered however let me take a second to help you put the pieces together.

You went out on a day you should not have been out in, PERIOD! I woke up, checked the radar and quickly proceeded to find an alternate plan for the day (something you should try next time). Note, I rode the day before the incident and the day after, both keeping a SHARP eye on the surrounding conditions, putting it down way before ANY dark lines came in. There were many of us that were upset at the bad publicity created by your event, but I and many others held are tongue and hoped for a full recovery. But to see this after the recovery http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=5647429&page=1 "the 28-year-old said he would "definitely" go kite-boarding during a tropical storm again" and have people come up to me and ask "Are all kiters that ****ing stupid". That strait up pissed me off, however I am glad to here all your stupidity in front of the camera paid for your medical bills. Make sure you call ABC before you head out in the next storm so they can get even better footage, maybe even multiple angles.

Come on man, You had a chance to publicly explain the sport and how normally it is much safer sport and you made a STUPID mistake by going out on that day. But know rather than try to get some respect back from the Kiteboarding community you look like a complete ass and try to justify your actions? I should have come in a bit earlier and I regret it a little bit is all you had to say? Not I should not have been out at all that day. Not that you should have understood and practiced the safety system more and activated it instantly rather than hang on the bar (both before and after the first hit on the sand). Nope you are gonna say "I'm hardcore, I'll do it again" and make us all look like asses.

And now you start talking about the possibly of it being the KITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on man; just admit you make a stupid mistake. You have done more than enough to make the sport look bad lets not start blaming kites, imagine if you were on a 04 C kite?

This sport has come a long way and you set it back, good job man, next time a camera is on you say something smart are just STFU and please do not start trying to justify things on the forums. So here is the official breakdown

You = Stubborn Unsafe Dumbass
Tropical Storm = Violent Low Pressure System Capable of throwing violent gusts

You + Tropical Storm = Massive Injury or Death

Go out in conditions you can handle, and the middle of a tropical storm is a place where no one should be, There were almost NO gaps in the bands that day, and with the constant cloud cover it makes bands VERY hard to see... until it is too late.

Sorry for the rant, it is the follow up on ABC that really got under my skin... and now to see you bring up the kite..... Man you got balls. Just want you to know that EVERYONE the saw the follow-up thought you looked like a ****ing idiot, that is not just how I viewed it.