FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 06-10-2009, 07:25 AM

Default Cypress and TIA

I guess a few of you had a run in with the Coast Guard this past saturday at Cypress. A pilot friend told me at work today about coming into TIA on sat. landing on 36 Left to the north and experience a "giant" red parachute very close to his plane. I assured him that except for when jumping, most kites comply with the 100 ft obstruction rule within 5 miles of the airport. He was at 250 feet lining up for the runway, so I'm sure a #16 red kite, scared the sh#t out of him. But the complaint that prompted the Coast Guard intervention came from the pilot of the green helicopter who was spraying for mosquitos right to the southeast of the Cypress riding area. The Coast Guard just happened to be patrolling around Weedon Island looking for people violating the Indian burial mounds, hence the quick response time. FYI
Old 06-10-2009, 09:29 PM

When we started riding at Cypress several years ago I had a pilot friend check with TIA and one of the other guys that rode there also called and all of the authorities were OK with it as long as we were in the water- back in the day before the park was cleaned up we would launch on the grass and walk down. One day we had a 727 pilot stop by after his flight and check it out because he was interested in the sport. I would think with all of the time that has gone by and increased popularity of the spot that it would be OK to ride there. I have not been riding at Cypress for some time- I stopped there a few weekends ago and it was jam packed with people with no where to launch. What was the final outcome with the Coast Guard?
Old 06-11-2009, 09:53 AM

I've been riding at Cypress for a more than 3 years. When it was just Rusky, Big G and Chris M. I don't know much about FAA regulations but If a big commercial plane is flying that low near a kite is because that plane is not going to land on the runway, I would be more concern for those driving on "Veterans" or the "Airport exit ramp". Runway 36L is the closest to the "pool" i don't recommend somebody to kite that deep in there just to avoid any issues with the Airport authorities. However, from a kiter prospective i don't see any problem in doing so.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:10 AM

Look what happened to my friend at Cypress this winter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNQkIjxdSwg
Old 06-11-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm3001 View Post
look what happened to my friend at cypress this winter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnqkijxdswg
lmao!
Old 06-11-2009, 12:40 PM

I wasn't present at Cypress this past weekend. Just thought I would give the guys who were, a heads up about who blew the whistle. The helicopter pilot was the snitch, even though they are required to stay clear of the water to prevent the mosquito poison from landing in the water. It's an oily substance and would give the appearance of a chemical spill on the water. Must have just had his panties in a wad because he had to work, while those juvenile delinquent kiteboarders were having fun.

Does anyone know what the Coast Guard had to say? Did they even make an appearance?
Old 06-11-2009, 12:45 PM

I actually think that Mosquito Control intentionally flies low for the sole purpose of getting that oily substance in the water for larvacidal control of mosquitos. It's much easier to kill them while in one area (larva in water) than after they grow wings and diffuse over an area.
I worked for EVMCD http://www.volusia.org/mosquito/ for a few years and went on several outtings a week in a chopper. Most missions were larvacidal and targeted larvae developing in rainwater/hi tide water - accumulated in marshes. It was a semi-failure if spraying for adults had to be done.

Anyway........ sounds like a misunderstanding on the helicopter pilot's side. I don't remember reading anywhere about a commercial plane getting close, Erick.

Although the CRAZIEST thing I ever saw was a MacDill jet miss Bayflite's kite by no more than 50 feet out by the Undertow. Wish I had that sh.it on film... it was insane. Plane was going Mach something. Didn't even hear him til he was 100 yards past us. He literally missed BF's kite by 50 feet (max).
Raul saw it too, I think.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:01 PM

I didn't think that the larvae could survive in salt water, so I guess you're talking about the standing water a little inland from the shore. Anyway.....

My friend was ferrying a small plane from St.Pete/Clearwater to TIA, so he wasn't that high to begin with. From his perspective, a clearance of a couple of hundred feet from "the kite", would seem close. I know from my own experience that flying into Vandenburg from the south and passing the antennae farm just east of Ruskin, the antennae seem rather formidable even though ATC keeps you at least 1000 feet above them. So the perception of how close something is can be rather skewed depending on where one is in space.

I brought this whole issue up to see if there was ever any previous complaints from the FAA, and to let people know that there was at least one airman who was bitching to ATC about it (not my friend).
Old 06-11-2009, 01:31 PM

I haven't heard any complaints from the FAA previously but thanks for the heads up conchexpress. It is my understanding that runway 36L is reserved mainly for commercial planes since is the largest runway at TIA. Yeah, nobody mentioned commercial planes until i did.

Seabreeze is kicking in!

Last edited by Erick; 06-11-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:29 PM

I'll do a little digging. I'm a pilot for Netjets. Been flying out of TPA for years. My intitial take on it....kite til you can't stand the jet fumes.